Para 3 texture on G10 scales chips?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SB1

Para 3 texture on G10 scales chips?

Post by SB1 »

I dropped my Para 3 from waist height onto a dirty floor and the debris chipped off tiny parts of the texture of the G10. I've never had this happen on other G10 scales but this is my first Spyderco in G10. I was wondering if this was common? I know it's minor but makes me wonder how well it will hold up over time. Seems unaceptable for a popular EDC.

Last edited by SB1 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TazKristi

Re: Para 3 texture on G10 scales chips?

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, SB1:
Welcome to our forum. Your best point of contact is our Warranty & Repair Department. Please send them an e-mail, and if possible, include pictures. They'll do their best to take care of you.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
SB1

Post by SB1 »

Thank you. I emailed Spyderco earlier today but haven't recieved a response. I was just curious if this was common. My only other Spydeco is in FRN so I cant compare.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Sounds normal to me! I believe G-10 is plastic, essentially. Tough, but not impervious.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SB1

Post by SB1 »

G10 is laminated fiberglass. I have it on other items and haven't had an issue. Perhaps the texture is just too fine to be durable? I expect it to wear smooth over time but not break chips out from dropping it.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

I looked very closely at the pictures. What your pictures show is not the texture chipping off....

It looks *exactly* like your scales came into contact with something sharp/pointy and that in turn damaged the texture. I have had this exact same thing happen, and it looks just like that.

Peel ply G10 can't really have the texture "chip" off, since the texture is actually molded into the scales themselves. As the composite material is setting there is a pattern called peel ply laid onto the scale, and the composite material conforms to that peel ply texture. Once they are set the peel ply is removed, revealing the texture beneath. Hence one reason it is called PEEL ply, because it is peeled off. It is essentially just a fabric laid on top of the epoxy, that is ripped off.

The peaks of that texturing can become damaged, and over time the peaks will wear down some naturally causing it to be a little less aggressive. But, your pictures definitely show damage to the texture from contacting something sharp or pointy, rather than chipping of the material.

Unfortunately if you drop your knife onto hard, pointy objects there is going to be some damage to the G10.

The damage is also very, very small. The damaged points (circled in red) are small, compared to the already small pocket clip holes.

I say use it and forget about it. You're inevitably going to get more damage through use.
Attachments
damage.JPG
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Essentially making mountains out of mole hills.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"