What would it take to get a Forum Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
infinkc

Re: What would it take to get a Forum Knife?

Post by infinkc »

Para3 with burgundy g10 scales lc200n blade.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Now for my 2/10 of $1.00. I would like to see a M390, solid carbon fiber, lock back, Hawkbilled Dragonfly.....That's okay, my wife never listens to me either. :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

justjohn wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:14 am
Now for my 2/10 of $1.00. I would like to see a M390, solid carbon fiber, lock back, Hawkbilled Dragonfly.....That's okay, my wife never listens to me either. :D
$0.20? I don't take less than $0.25!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:47 am
Albatross wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:42 am
If it could be a K390 Chaparral, with canvas micarta scales, a lot of people would be very happy.

Perfect.
+1! I don't hate the damasteel/polished micarta idea on a Chap, either, though, unless that'd be a lot more expensive. But pleeeease...no black scales. We can have pretty much any other knife out there with black scales. Make this unique. Burgundy, polished or canvas, would be nice.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Maybe after discussion, someone could create a poll to vote on the ideas that got some traction?

I recall the last forum knife - the PM2 with gray g-10 and shiny spiderweb inlay - was not very popular.

Don't want to sound ungrateful because I appreciate Spyderco's efforts to create a knife for forumites.

I just think it would make sense to get the input of forum members on the specific model/materials.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

justjohn wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:14 am
I'm sorry.. You were saying? ;)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
attila

Post by attila »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:36 pm
Maybe after discussion, someone could create a poll to vote on the ideas that got some traction?

I recall the last forum knife - the PM2 with gray g-10 and shiny spiderweb inlay - was not very popular.

Don't want to sound ungrateful because I appreciate Spyderco's efforts to create a knife for forumites.

I just think it would make sense to get the input of forum members on the specific model/materials.
I agree.

The forum poll would have been a great thing for last year's knife designer to consider.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I thought the last PM2 S90V forum knife was AWESOME! The bug inlay took it over the top for me. I ended up buying two of them.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Hopweaver wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:55 pm
I thought the last PM2 S90V forum knife was AWESOME! The bug inlay took it over the top for me. I ended up buying two of them.
Agreed. Really cool knife, I'm surprised to hear it wasn't popular.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Hopweaver wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:55 pm
I came across mine the other night when I was looking for something in my gun safe. When I realized what it was I thought...I should pull it out and carry that some day. Not sure why I thought that since I don't carry any of my other PM2s very often. I still haven't really carried or used my Rex45, M390 (DLT), or 20CV (DLT). I like the model but there's been too many others competing with it lately. I guess I got a little burnt out on the PM2

Not sure Spyderco will be ready to do another but I'd be in for another Forum knife in just about any configuration
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:36 pm

We've seen many polls and we do read them all. Typically though, we see a LOT of various ideas, but little agreement. Everyone has their preferences and of course, every city, state, province, county, and country has laws pertaining to knives and all of those things come into play when members think about what they'd like us to do. I don't think I've ever seen a clear "winner" when it comes to polls about forum knives (and I've seen a LOT of polls over the past 15 years).

Having said that though, please know that we do listen, we do see the polls, the comments, and the suggestions. We appreciate each and every one of you!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Chaparral Salt in LC200N... humm?
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

Darn dao please- but only small logo ,wouldnt want it to look gimmicky or take up too much real estate
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Chaparral would be the only back lock knife I would be interested in. Other options would be the Dodo, Lil Native Comp lock or Slip Joint, or Para 3 LW. All these knives seems to satisfy the broadest range of members.

Steels: LC200N, 20CV, S90V, K390, or Cruwear. Don’t really care, but I do really like the tumbled polished blade finish.

Scales: Peel-ply Carbon Fiber or burgundy FRN/G10/Micarta.
Last edited by Dazen on Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Please believe me, in that particular case I don´t say this because I personally love the Chaparral (and I certainly do):
But I really have a feeling that compared to many other models a least a substantial number of forumites can somehow agree on it - ?! Could be wrong though of course, and don´t want to push this knife out of pure personal interest!

At least, as said, it is legal in many places (though still a one handed locking folder, so of course something like the Urban is even better in that regard certainly).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

In the past, it seems like the Forum knife is usually made in Golden. So if we stick with Golden models that will make it easier.
How about the Lil' Native?
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Maybe a very small logo something like this:

Last edited by Dazen on Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:53 pm
In the past, it seems like the Forum knife is usually made in Golden. So if we stick with Golden models that will make it easier.
How about the Lil' Native?

Or the Shaman? :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:12 pm
Or the Shaman? :D
Shaman would likely get a lot of votes. Personally I'd like to see something lower cost.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Yojumbo, LC200N Salt, White G10 handles for easy dyeing.

*drops mic*
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson