Delica 4 Sprints / Exclusives / Limited Editions List

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JaseRicco

Delica 4 Sprints / Exclusives / Limited Editions List

Post by JaseRicco »

If there’s already been a thread covering this topic, feel free to point me in the right direction and apologies.

I’d like to purchase some Delica 4’s, but have a plan to hunt down the more rare releases.

I’m looking for a list of all Delica 4 Sprints, Exclusive, and Limited Editions that have been released. These are the ones that I have so far;

- DELICA 4 FRN PINK/PURPLE ZOME
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C11ZFPN/1102

- DELICA 4 FRN YELLOW/GREEN ZOME
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C11ZFYL/1103

- DELICA 4 FRN TEAL
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C11FTL/1178

- DELICA 4 FRN DESERT CAMO(This one is listed as an exclusive on some websites, but not others, so any info would be helpful)
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... und--87945

Any others that anyone can add to the list would be appreciated.

I know others have been released in premium steels like TOKU2, Gold2, M390, Super Blue and HAP40, but I’m not well versed in premium steels and their advantages vs their disadvantages. Especially when it comes to edge retention and ease of sharpening, so I think I’d like to stick with the usual VG-10 & S30V steels, unless anyone has some insight. I always love to learn.

Thank you in advance!!

:D
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
bearfacedkiller

Re: Delica 4 Sprints / Exclusives / Limited Editions List

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JaseRicco wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:16 pm

I know others have been released in premium steels like TOKU2, Gold2, M390, Super Blue and HAP40, but I’m not well versed in premium steels and their advantages vs their disadvantages. Especially when it comes to edge retention and ease of sharpening, so I think I’d like to stick with the usual VG-10 & S30V steels, unless anyone has some insight. I always love to learn.

The "premium steels" you listed are all worth considering, but there are a heap of members here who know a lot more about steels than I do, so I won´t say too much and hope for you the experts will chime in

Just that:
- HAP 40 the way Spyderco does it (cladded with SUS 410) probably is my favorite steel of all and really not that hard to sharpen!
Definitely get a HAP 40 Delica if you can, and especially consider the wharncliff version! (It can still be found for under 100 USD), or, if you want to lay down the money, the beautifull Pakkawood-handle version!
- V Toku 2 should be even easier to sharpen, very "tough" (not a concern of mine concerning folders though) but will be even less rust resistant I think

- Then there is the ZDP Delica, I found ZDP hard or rather time consuming to sharpen without having really abrasive stones (but I am not good at sharpening generally!)
- And wharncliff again: If I were to purchase another Delica, it would be a serrated wharnie most likely. Serrations in that thin (2.5mm) ffg blade must cut like crazy... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Thank you, I will take a look at this list.

Much Appreciated!!
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:34 pm
JaseRicco wrote:

The "premium steels" you listed are all worth considering, but there are a heap of members here who know a lot more about steels than I do, so I won´t say too much and hope for you the experts will chime in

Just that:
- HAP 40 the way Spyderco does it (cladded with SUS 410) probably is my favorite steel of all and really not that hard to sharpen!
Definitely get a HAP 40 Delica if you can, and especially consider the wharncliff version! (It can still be found for under 100 USD), or, if you want to lay down the money, the beautifull Pakkawood-handle version!
- V Toku 2 should be even easier to sharpen, very "tough" (not a concern of mine concerning folders though) but will be even less rust resistant I think

- Then there is the ZDP Delica, I found ZDP hard or rather time consuming to sharpen without having really abrasive stones (but I am not good at sharpening generally!)
- And wharncliff again: If I were to purchase another Delica, it would be a serrated wharnie most likely. Serrations in that thin (2.5mm) ffg blade must cut like crazy... :rolleyes:

Thank you, once again, for all the info. I think what I will do is put together an initial list of Delica 4's in VG-10 & S30V, then, once collected, I will move my way into the Premium Steel versions doing research on each one before purchasing.

Should make things a bit easier and fun to run these down.

FYI, looking into the Chap that you recommended :D
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JaseRicco wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:05 am
Wartstein wrote:
JaseRicco wrote:

Just that:

Thank you, once again, for all the info. I think what I will do is put together an initial list of Delica 4's in VG-10 & S30V, then, once collected, I will move my way into the Premium Steel versions doing research on each one before purchasing.

Be aware, the sprint runs and what you call "premium steel versions" don't feature necessarely more "premium" steel concerning properties, but sometimes just "rarer" steels.
For me personally S30V for example is "premium" and "supersteel-ish" enough...(though I have to say: HAP 40 is just perfect).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Buy the S90V KW exclusive and don't look back. I own quite a few sprints and exclusives but this is one the best.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

If you can sharpen S30v, you can easily sharpen most of those “premium” steels.
Personally, I’d jump straight into a Hap40 or Cruwear Delica (which is exactly what I did).
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:48 am
JaseRicco wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:05 am
Wartstein wrote:
JaseRicco wrote:

Just that:

Be aware, the sprint runs and what you call "premium steel versions" don't feature necessarely more "premium" steel concerning properties, but sometimes just "rarer" steels.
For me personally S30V for example is "premium" and "supersteel-ish" enough...(though I have to say: HAP 40 is just perfect).

Good Advice.

As stated earlier, before purchasing any of the “premium” “rarer” steels, I’ll do some research and inquire here.

I don’t need every Exclusive or Sprint Run, just the ones I find most interesting. Again, I want to stay away from steels that have bad edge retention and are harder to sharpen, since my sharpening experience is solely with a Sharpmaker.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:36 pm
Buy the S90V KW exclusive and don't look back. I own quite a few sprints and exclusives but this is one the best.
I’ll keep a lookout
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Haunted House wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:43 pm
Personally, I’d jump straight into a Hap40 or Cruwear Delica (which is exactly what I did).
The sum total of my sharpening experience is running my pocket knives through the Sharpmaker. If I make a few passes with each stone and my knife comes out sharp, I’m good. So I’d like to keep to steels that have a decent edge and can be sharpened on the Sharpmaker easily.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JaseRicco wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:45 pm
Haunted House wrote:
The sum total of my sharpening experience is running my pocket knives through the Sharpmaker. If I make a few passes with each stone and my knife comes out sharp, I’m good. So I’d like to keep to steels that have a decent edge and can be sharpened on the Sharpmaker easily.
Hap40 and Cruwear will both do fine with the sharpmaker, as would v-toku 2. Fradon Lock also has a carbon fiber delica in hap40, and I think you can still find it through them directly. And as mentioned above, the Knife Center pakkawood delica with hap40 is a beautiful knife! There are many, many delica variations to track down - happy hunting!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JaseRicco wrote:
Haunted House wrote:
Honestly, the sharpmaker is all you need for any steel- especially if you stay on top and don't let your knives let get too dull in the first place...watch the insructional dvd and maybe search (or ask) for some tips on the forum, and you'll be a happy camper!

For harder steels and stuff like reprofiling you could consider getting CBN (which I have and like a lot) or diamond rods.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:03 pm
JaseRicco wrote:
Haunted House wrote:
Hap40 and Cruwear will both do fine with the sharpmaker, as would v-toku 2. Fradon Lock also has a carbon fiber delica in hap40, and I think you can still find it through them directly. And as mentioned above, the Knife Center pakkawood delica with hap40 is a beautiful knife! There are many, many delica variations to track down - happy hunting!

I’m going to keep my hunt to FRN and your typical Delica 4 blade profile, not a fan of the Wharncliffe’s or Semi-Wharncliffe’s.

So that give me a total of 13 knives to track down...should be fun.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:40 pm
JaseRicco wrote:
Haunted House wrote:
Honestly, the sharpmaker is all you need for any steel- especially if you stay on top and don't let your knives let get too dull in the first place...watch the insructional dvd and maybe search (or ask) for some tips on the forum, and you'll be a happy camper!

For harder steels and stuff like reprofiling you could consider getting CBN (which I have and like a lot) or diamond rods.
Good to know.

Reprofliling, beveling, 30 degrees vs 40... :confused:
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

So, after combing through the SpydieWiki list that BearFacedKiller provided, thank you again, this is the list of Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives I have come up with. I have excluded any handle material that is not FRN, I love lightweight, and excluded blade shapes like Wharncliffes etc...not a fan. Looks as though I have 13 to track down...

VG-10

- Desert Camo ZOME FRN SSI/Moteng Exclusive (08/18)
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... und--87945

- Teal FRN MGE Wholesale Exclusive (05/18)
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ife--77421

- Pink Purple FRN Lone Star Exclusive (11/17)
http://www.lswtexas.com/spyderco-delica ... zfppn.html

Damascus:

- Steel Blue FRN w/ Damascus VG-10 Knife Joy Exclusive (10/19)
https://knifejoy.com/spyderco-c11fpnbd- ... cus-knife/

- Foliage Green FRN w/ Damascus VG-10 SSI/Moteng Exclusive (04/17)
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP11PF ... rn-handles

Premium Steels:

- Yellow Green ZOME FRN w/ S30V Lone Star Exclusive (11/17)
http://www.lswtexas.com/spyderco-delica ... zfpyl.html

- Burnt Orange FRN w/ HAP40 Sprint Run (12/15)
https://www.knivesplus.com/spydercodeli ... pbore.html

- Black FRN Blue Liners w/ CPM S90V Knife Works Exclusive (12/19)
https://knifeworks.com/spyderco-c11fpbk ... -exclusive

- Dark Grey FRN w/ Cru-Wear Lone Star Wholesale Exclusive (08/19)
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... nd--100489

- Dark Blue FRN w/ M390 Bento Box Exclusive (06/19)
http://www.bentoboxshop.com/images/PE_D ... weight.JPG

- Black FRN w/ Super Gold Mass Drop Exclusive (04/18)
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-spyderc ... super-gold

- Blue-Gray FRN w/ V-Toku2 Sprint Run (07/18)
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ife--78691

- Grey FRN w/ Super Blue Sprint Run (09/13)
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... lue--15301

Any here that you guys feel is a must have??
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JaseRicco wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:46 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:40 pm
JaseRicco wrote:
Haunted House wrote:

Good to know.

Reprofliling, beveling, 30 degrees vs 40... :confused:
I think you should post and ask these questions by starting a dedicated thread... ;)
I am sure many will be glad to give advice (me included, but in the context of this forum I know just little about sgarpening)

(Or search for already existing threads alternatively)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JaseRicco wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:52 pm

HAP 40 would be my first choice... (and I know, you ruled that blade shape out, but still: I'd go wharncliff).
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Get the currently available ones first (KnifeJoy for example), then work on the older, hard to find types.

That said, the Super Blue is great, but also pricey.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:58 pm
JaseRicco wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:52 pm

HAP 40 would be my first choice... (and I know, you ruled that blade shape out, but still: I'd go wharncliff).

Quoting myself here, but another thing that speaks for wharncliff Delica should you choose to go HAP40: It still can be found for under 100 USD (Delica HAP40 wharnie I mean)

EDIT: Just saw in your signature that you already sold two Wharnie Delicas. So, ok, really not for you it seems.. ;)