Opinions on the combo edge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bigboned

Opinions on the combo edge

Post by bigboned »

I was ‘playing’ with my old edc Gerber multitool and remembered how useful the serrated blade was. I very rarely carry more than 1 knife ( it’s a Europe thing) so was thinking about trying a combo edge- in particular the all black delica ( my Gerber is black)

If there was a para3 in CE I’d jump on it- how come they aren’t more popular? Is the plain edge just too small to be useful? I imagine the serrated half would be adequate for cordage etc that it would excel at

Opinions/ thoughts/ experiences? Please
Cheers
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
JuPaul

Re: Opinions on the combo edge

Post by JuPaul »

There is a para 3 combo edge! In s30v:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP223G ... military-3

Also, para3 CE in 52100 still available:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP223C ... military-3

There's also a CE pm2 in 52100 available. Fwiw, I have that CE pm2, and a CE delica. Really like them both, and find even the short serrated sections of the delica to be useful in cardboard, etc. Although if I was going to be cutting rope all day, I'd probably choose a fully serrated blade, or a longer combo edge like on the pm2 or endura.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Through 30 years of Spydercos i have come to the conclusion that (for me) combo edge is the worst. Nowadays it's PE or SE all the way as far as i am concerned.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I used to think it was good, and then I thought it was bad, and now I've come around to thinking it's good again. I have the Manix C95 in CE and Endura 4 in CE and I think that despite being much maligned, it's a pretty useful blade type.

The serrations at the belly are the place with the most leverage for tough cuts and the precise, pointy v-ground plain edge is at the front, where you often make precision slices.

Maybe CE is not so good for food prep, but as an EDC matter separator it's actually pretty ideal. Especially when you learn how easy it is to sharpen serrations on the Sharpmaker!

I still think I prefer full SE over CE, but I definitely don't hate on the combo anymore.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I like them just fine. The interweb might disagree.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:36 pm
There is a para 3 combo edge! In s30v:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP223G ... military-3

Also, para3 CE in 52100 still available:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP223C ... military-3

There's also a CE pm2 in 52100 available. Fwiw, I have that CE pm2, and a CE delica. Really like them both, and find even the short serrated sections of the delica to be useful in cardboard, etc. Although if I was going to be cutting rope all day, I'd probably choose a fully serrated blade, or a longer combo edge like on the pm2 or endura.
Apologies I meant in black ( a nostalgia thing)
But you might have hit the nail- going with a longer CE like pm2 might give the usability of 2 separate blades..

Anyone else?
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

In previous threads about this, the lack of popularity might be because of the stigma that surrounds it. Tons of cheap gas station folders with terrible steel makes use of the combo edge grind. For me, the combo edge was necessary when I worked on a farm. But now that I stopped working there I don't carry one. I think the combo edge really is the best for a true "beater" that gets abused.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

carrot wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:04 pm
I used to think it was good, and then I thought it was bad, and now I've come around to thinking it's good again.
Same. Like Bornin1500, I worked on a horse ranch for several years, and always carried and used a CE then. Then I got away from them, and now I've come back. In particular the spyderco CE and SE knives have brought me back - their serrations are just so well-done. Pm2 or Manix for bigger jobs, Delica for edc.
- Julia

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don’t have a problem with serrations, but i don’t really care for the chisel grind you get with the rest of a combo blade. also, the portion of the blade closest to my hand is the part i use primarily, so i’d rather carry one of each instead of a compromise.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

My primary carry right now is a CE Delica, and I find it works perfectly for me. I cut a lot of vinyl hose and airline at work, as well as zipties, and the Delica just goes right through them with no effort. I was slicing up cardboard a few days ago, and found the serrations slid through better than the plain edge portion.

If you don't want to go full serrated, something like the Para 2 or Endura in combo edge would give you a nice sampling of both edge types to work with.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I’m glad combo edges are out there for those who want or need them, but they're not for me. It just always feels like I have a sub optimal tool for the job.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:52 pm
Through 30 years of Spydercos i have come to the conclusion that (for me) combo edge is the worst. Nowadays it's PE or SE all the way as far as i am concerned.
I'm with Larry on this one. It's got to be one or the other. I had a combo edge in the past and missed either the full PE or full SE. Felt like a half assed knife. Sharpening also takes more care and patience.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I've actually owned a Para3 CE (not any more, but I did) and I thought it was great. Just enough plain edge for any task I needed it for, plus just enough serration to power through tough stuff. So my view is, if you think you might benefit from that sort of thing, you will.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:28 pm
i don’t have a problem with serrations, but i don’t really care for the chisel grind you get with the rest of a combo blade. also, the portion of the blade closest to my hand is the part i use primarily, so i’d rather carry one of each instead of a compromise.
On the CE pm2 and delica, only the serrated sections are chisel ground. On the fully SE delica, the little bit of plain edge at the tip is chisel ground, though.
- Julia

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As demonized as the "combo edge" seems to be anymore It really baffles me too. I've had two Spyderco CE folders over the years and I EDCed one of them for about 14 months I think it was. And then I replaced it will one of my big C-44 Dyad models which truly gives you the best of both Spyder-Worlds. If my CE RENEGADE model would have had better steel I would have kept it in my rotation. But GIN-1 is just not that great of a blade steel in PE.>> Oh I like it fine in SE but in PE I never could keep an edge over an hour at the most.

Now I like my Combo Edged blades on longer folders>> there are so many small to medium folders where you just don't get the benefit of that blade style.

For that reason among other reasons I wish Spyderco would look into more two- bladed folders ( PE & SE blades). I find CE so handy when working with rope, twine, wire and cordage. But unless you've got it on one of the longer bladed folders it really can't do you much good IMO.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:28 pm
i don’t have a problem with serrations, but i don’t really care for the chisel grind you get with the rest of a combo blade.....

Do you?
I have only one CE Spydie, a Delica. On this the PE part of the blade definitely has a V-grind, not chisel grind...
The Delica is a sabre grind knife though, might be different on ffg comboedge blades...?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

They're fine, and wouldn't hamper any cutting that I would ever do.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:23 pm
I think the combo edge really is the best for a true "beater" that gets abused.
One of the knives in my work knife rotation is a combo edge Native 5 Lightweight in S35VN & if I could only have one work folder, it's probably the model I would choose. My folding knife is my main work tool (I work at a warehouse) & the serrated portion goes through thick, heavy duty nylon pallet straps so much easier than a full plain edge blade, which will sometimes slide on the surface of the straps (I've even had a steel-reinforced pallet strap chip a CTS-BD1 plain edge blade!).

At the same time, the plain edge portion of the blade can make for easier & more delicate "puncturing slices" into cardboard... I do this when I have to carefully slice into the side of a box with delicate/fragile contents & do a quick quality check of a received pallet of product (I can also do this with a full SE blade, but the cuts with the SE blade are a bit more ragged, and makes the box less presentable).

Ultimately though, the utility of a combo edge is context-dependent. It's the ideal blade for my current work situation but it may obviously not be the one for others.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:23 pm
In previous threads about this, the lack of popularity might be because of the stigma that surrounds it. Tons of cheap gas station folders with terrible steel makes use of the combo edge grind. For me, the combo edge was necessary when I worked on a farm. But now that I stopped working there I don't carry one. I think the combo edge really is the best for a true "beater" that gets abused.
I think you nailed it. I think that is exactly why the combo edge is viewed with such disdain in the knife community. I also agree that for a true work knife they are very functional. Take your average Joe who is a maintenance man, a plumber, a custodian or any number of professions where a knife will really get used and abused and you will find much more appreciation for the combo edge. They don’t make one in the Salt line but if they did I would be perfectly happy using one for the work I do.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Not the biggest fan of CE. I don't hate it, but I don't need it.

Generally, I carry the Caribbean PE and a Jester SE. That combination makes a CE blade obsolete for me.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson