The best thing about a knife is ...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

The best thing about a knife is ...

Post by Tucson Tom »

The best thing about a knife is that it is sharp!

Nothing pleases me more than a sharp knife (or annoys me more than a dull one). I am so glad that Spyderco is not afraid to really sharpen their knives before shipping them to customers. I don't care if it is fixed blade, slip joint, liner lock or what, I just want it to be sharp! If it isn't sharp, I'm not sure it is even a knife.

In truth, this post is an ode to 52100. Last night I pulled my PM2 52100 out of the drawer and it didn't really feel sharp. At least it didn't have that sticky sharp feel. But I think this was deceptive. Anyway, I got out my goldenstone and gave it 5 or 6 really light passes on each side. I have learned the importance of light passes if you are touching up a knife that is already in decent shape. I remind myself that I am trying to reduce the edge from 10 or 12 atoms wide to 2 or 3. Those numbers are nonsense of course, but having that thought in my head is what counts.

Then today I was over at my sons house and wanted to cut up a box to toss in his recycle bin. Holy cow! I could push cut the cardboard with very little force. I've never experienced that myself before! I am used to having to sort of saw my way through. Now I am almost scared of that blade.

Now I know (and even believe) that any steel can be made that sharp. However I personally have gotten my scary sharp results only with 52100 and Cruwear at this stage of my sharpening prowess. You can say whatever you want, but I love 52100. Honestly I prefer a steel that I can easily sharpen to an amazing edge like that, even if I have to do it often (but actually 52100 holds up amazingly well). These high carbide steels with their reputation for endless edge holding are well and good, but give me 52100. (I do own and appreciate a lot of those fancy steels by the way, and admire them.)

Someday I hope to be able to sharpen any steel like this.
Dazen

Re: The best thing about a knife is ...

Post by Dazen »

I don’t have any experience with Cruwear yet, but I too have really enjoyed my 52100 PM2. It seems to stay scary sharp longer than any steel I own. I wish is was stainless, but it does take a nice patina.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I'm with you on this one. Before I got a cruwear manix, I used the 52100 one for my barn/riding carry, and I really liked it. Still do. I've yet to majorly damage the edge on either in spite of dropping both while open onto rocks and the concrete barn floor (neither suffered more than tiny dents in the edge that sharpened right out). I've chipped out plenty of cheap steels, and even high end steels like m390, after lesser abuse. Now I know what I like in a folder I might use outside, at the barn, mushroom hunting, hiking, etc. Both hold an edge plenty long for my simple needs, and they're easy to sharpen. I recently got the CE 52100 pm2 and, though I've yet to sharpen it, I love the model and I'm happy to have some 52100 in regular use again.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I really would like to try a full se 52100 blade. Wonder how a 52100 se warncliffe would work out? 🤔
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tom,

I think the most important thing about a knife is that you have it with you when you need it.

sal
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:41 pm
I really would like to try a full se 52100 blade. Wonder how a 52100 se warncliffe would work out? 🤔
I'd really like to see more SE options in general. I suppose they don't sell as well, but I think it'd be awesome to see dealers commission both PE and SE versions of a few exclusives. Maybe a sprint or two...
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I ageee with your assessment on the lower carbide carbon steels. I sharpened my Superblue Delica last week and I’m afraid to touch the edge, it’s very sharp. I may stick with Superblue and Cruwear. I have yet to try HAP40 but I have a stretch in HAP40 to try later. Enjoy your 52100.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Sal makes a perfect point. None may argue against it.

So I will say after that the one that is sharp, stays sharp and is not difficult to resharpen and does not rust easily.

So pick your model go for VG-10 and call it a day already.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Tom, do you ever use a strop or UF stone? I'm kind of surprised you've had to typically "saw" through cardboard with any steel you've used. Maybe you don't take your sharpening to the next step before leaving the house with said knife?

I find the best thing about a knife is to always have it razor sharp, because you never know when you will need it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:36 pm
Tom, do you ever use a strop or UF stone? I'm kind of surprised you've had to typically "saw" through cardboard with any steel you've used. Maybe you don't take your sharpening to the next step before leaving the house with said knife?

I find the best thing about a knife is to always have it razor sharp, because you never know when you will need it.
No, I ain't never done no stropin'

As for Sal's comment about the best knife being the one that is there when you need it. I have been reading a book about General Crook and the Apaches in Arizona back in 1868 or so. One fellow had an Apache lasso get tossed over him -- but was able to quickly get his knife in hand and cut the line. Now that is having a knife when you need it! There is nothing like real history written by the people who lived it.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

BUT...if that knife struggled to cut cardboard, it certainly wouldn't do well against the rope of a lasso! Precious seconds could be the matter of life or death in that situation. Dull/semi sharp VS shaving sharp clean apex. I'm assuming that Apaches knife was pretty sharp :)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Availability is the most important aspect but for me the best thing about a knife is the sound it makes when test cutting paper after a successful sharpening session. :cool:
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:40 pm
Availability is the most important aspect but for me the best thing about a knife is the sound it makes when test cutting paper after a successful sharpening session. :cool:
I do like the sound and feel (or lack thereof) of a sharp knife gliding through phonebook paper.

I've been too busy lately to do any real sharpening (reprofiling etc) but I've used the Sharpmaker a lot to touch up the knives I've been using. I hate when they don't have that sticky sharp feeling and the SM has been instrumental in keeping them that way
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For me the best thing about a knife is

- having to really use as opposed to just carry it
- and when it starts to look used and by that more individual, personal and like "your" knife...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

The best thing is the handle, try using one without ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
acer

Post by acer »

Easy ITS A SPYDERCO. ITS WITH ME ,AND ITS MINE ⚔️
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

The best thing about a knife is its infinite usefulness.
Like Sal said, it has to be on you to be useful.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:04 am
Trying to use a HANDLE without a BLADE in order to cut something would be even worse... :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:47 am
standy99 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:04 am
Trying to use a HANDLE without a BLADE in order to cut something would be even worse... :D
Well, according the the dictionary it ain’t a knife without either a handle, or a blade... so neither one of those suggestions works in conjunction with the title of the thread or finishing the statement that begins “the best thing about a knife is...” :p
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

It can simplify some tasks.