Post up your Rit dye projects..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Haunted House

Re: Post up your Rit dye projects..

Post by Haunted House »

How would you guys tackle dying a non-stainless Delica?

I’d like to dye the frn scales of my Hap40 Delica(from orange to maybe brown or burgundy). I’ve heard the Delicas are a pita to disassemble.
Would you feel comfortable dipping the whole thing?
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:14 pm
That is darn strange how real came out Forrest green on the Ivory SSS. Did you trey a different soak time? Do you think longer would provide the correct color?
Hard to say, the rit teal is more green than blue though and the knife came out darker than the packaging. That said I only dipped it for 30 minutes, and paper towel tests were definitely more blue, so the natural color of the ivory may have had a subtle effect as well. I would be interested to see the difference on a yellow salt, but for this one I would have given it another short bath in a light blue if anything. I was happy with the rich green since it's not a shade I have anything else in.
55FA104F-CF73-4FB4-80CC-2AF2CDF7BC15.jpeg
JuPaul wrote: I tried to do a dark purple on the chap lw I had, but I couldn't get it darker than a lavender color, soaked maybe an hour. I think i just used the liquid RIT, boiling water and vinegar...did you add anything else to the mix on that one? Longer soak time?
Nothing special, I use the powder which calls for dish soap and salt in addition to vinegar. I haven't had to take anything much past a half hour and the chap may have been less closer to 20. It was a royal blue dye though not navy and it still came out quite a bit darker, so I'm surprised lightness was your issue :confused:
FC99E126-3CB0-4AF6-B94F-E0B480471A0F.jpeg
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Haunted House wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:06 pm

I’d like to dye the frn scales of my Hap40 Delica(from orange to maybe brown or burgundy). I’ve heard the Delicas are a pita to disassemble.
Would not recommend it vinegar will patina the blade.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Haunted House wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:06 pm

You'll get a better dye job if you remove the scales and clean the oil off them. Plus you won't risk rusting your blade, liners, etc. Here's a good disassembly video on the Delica. I'd heard it was a PITA, too, and I avoided it for a long time. But this way really isn't bad. I've done 4 scale swaps recently for my delicas, and it took me maybe 5 minutes to put the last one back together.

https://youtu.be/ePi5ELQmg3E
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DTPrime wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:13 pm
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:14 pm
That is darn strange how real came out Forrest green on the Ivory SSS. Did you trey a different soak time? Do you think longer would provide the correct color?
Hard to say, the rit teal is more green than blue though and the knife came out darker than the packaging. That said I only dipped it for 30 minutes, and paper towel tests were definitely more blue, so the natural color of the ivory may have had a subtle effect as well. I would be interested to see the difference on a yellow salt, but for this one I would have given it another short bath in a light blue if anything. I was happy with the rich green since it's not a shade I have anything else in.

55FA104F-CF73-4FB4-80CC-2AF2CDF7BC15.jpeg
JuPaul wrote: I tried to do a dark purple on the chap lw I had, but I couldn't get it darker than a lavender color, soaked maybe an hour. I think i just used the liquid RIT, boiling water and vinegar...did you add anything else to the mix on that one? Longer soak time?
Nothing special, I use the powder which calls for dish soap and salt in addition to vinegar. I haven't had to take anything much past a half hour and the chap may have been less closer to 20. It was a royal blue dye though not navy and it still came out quite a bit darker, so I'm surprised lightness was your issue :confused:

FC99E126-3CB0-4AF6-B94F-E0B480471A0F.jpeg
I don't know what I did wrong! I've used the liquid before and it turned out fine. Maybe my dye just wasn't as concentrated as I thought. Oh well.
- Julia

Doeswhateveraspidercan

Tomorrow is 2020.

Wow can't believe I am actually typing that one!

I plan to RIT Dye my Jade Dodo I have already cleaned the scales I removed using both dish detergent and a sonic cleaner as well as an old electric toothbrush.

What should the next steps be in order to get a good dye job?

I am guessing clean with acetone using a lint free rag and let dry?

After that what do you guys do step by step on the dying part I am going to be using the liquid for synthetics dye they produce thik I am sticking with Sapphire blue.

Thanks for advice in advance and Happy New Years everyone.
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

I have done about 12 FRN Spydies using liquid Rit Dye for synthetic material. All of them have been done assembled. Just wipe down beforehand with rubbing alcohol. I have been pleased with the results.
BG-ThatsMe

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:36 pm
Tomorrow is 2020.

Wow can't believe I am actually typing that one!

I plan to RIT Dye my Jade Dodo I have already cleaned the scales I removed using both dish detergent and a sonic cleaner as well as an old electric toothbrush.

What should the next steps be in order to get a good dye job?

I am guessing clean with acetone using a lint free rag and let dry?

After that what do you guys do step by step on the dying part I am going to be using the liquid for synthetics dye they produce thik I am sticking with Sapphire blue.

Thanks for advice in advance and Happy New Years everyone.
I take the scales off before the dye process. Rit has good info on their website about color formulas, instructions/etc.

First step: clean scales thoroughly with a brush and Dawn dish soap. I then use a couple toothpicks wedged together in the pivot hole, lanyard hole or in a backspacer hole to prop the scales up off the bottom of the pan on an angle. The scales sit up about 1/4” and i use the toothpicks to hold/agitate the scales to get an even dye job.

Next step: I use about 4 cups of water and I bring it to a simmer in a small sauce pan on the stovetop. When it’s just shy of boiling, I add a few drops of dawn dish soap and the dye (make sure to shake the liquid dye really well to mix. There’s usually a thick sludge of dye that settles in the bottom of the bottle). It doesn’t take a lot of dye to get a good color. A few tablespoons will usually do the job (see Rit’s color formulas).

Wet the scales, put them in the bath and stir/agitate until you get your desired color. I move the scales around with the toothpicks, and use a spoon to stir the dye.

Remove, take to sink and rinse in warm water gradually changing to cold. I get all the excess dye off, dry the scales and have a look at the color. I’ve put scales back in the bath to darken, but this is usually the last step. I’ve also washed the scales in Dawn with a brush immediately after rinsing to ensure there was no dye left in the nooks and crannies.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Just ordered my Straight Spine Stretch along with some Apple Green, Dark Green, and Dark Brown Rit dye; going to try for an Olive/OD green dye!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thank you all for your detailed explanations of that which has brought you success.

The writing on the bottles of liquid for synthetics is so small I had to take a picture with my phone to even read it!

Their is no mention of vinegar, I guess that is for the dye packets only?

Has anyone used vinegar with the liquid for synthetics and discovered a benefit?

Royal Blue, Sapphire, Navy Blue, Graphite and Black.
Monty

Post by Monty »

I've never used vinegar. Started out dying a bunch of Magpul pmags, then a couple Glock frames, finally half a dozen knives. I run a paper clip through a hole and twist it off, then grab the clip with pliers. Start with 2-3 minutes in the solution, then pull it and judge how the color is taking. Sometimes it doesn't take long at all. If you're really worried, dye something cheaper first.
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

I've always used vinegar with the liquid dye. Don't know if it makes a difference. I use about 1/4 cup or less.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

I picked up a cheap pot at the local Ross store so I don't have to worry about possibly damaging one of our cooking pots; I also do the 'cooking' outside as the vinegar does create a strong smell :spyder:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Hobnob wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:13 pm
I've always used vinegar with the liquid dye. Don't know if it makes a difference. I use about 1/4 cup or less.
Same. Old habit from dyeing Easter eggs. ;)
- Julia

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think this is the 4th dye job on this knife so far. It's Rit Dyemore Sapphire Blue. Once I'm bored with this I think some shade of red is next.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

That looks really good. what was your soak time?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:56 pm

Half hour simmering in straight dye. I keep meaning to try out some vinegar added to it but keep forgetting. I wanted to go full black this time around but I think this is better. For some reason the Dyemore version of liquid Rit doesn't come in plain black.
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:25 pm

Half hour simmering in straight dye. I keep meaning to try out some vinegar added to it but keep forgetting. I wanted to go full black this time around but I think this is better. For some reason the Dyemore version of liquid Rit doesn't come in plain black.
It does but you might have to order the black on Amazon.

Thanks for the timing.

You know as I was looking at your DYE job I was thinking it would be really neat looking if somehow the oval area where the clip is meant to ride was a different color.

Now that I think about it the original color would make a great contrast with you dye job it is sporting right now.

What do you think?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The way the grooves are machined seem to create a shimmering effect with each cover I've used. It's pretty cool.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:29 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:25 pm

It does but you might have to order the black on Amazon.

Thanks for the timing.

You know as I was looking at your DYE job I was thinking it would be really neat looking if somehow the oval area where the clip is meant to ride was a different color.

Now that I think about it the original color would make a great contrast with you dye job it is sporting right now.

What do you think?

If I had or knew someone with some CNC skills I think i'd try to machine that center section to match the rest of the knife if possible and just do away with it completely. You could potentially dye it but you'd have to start by sanding it down at least to the yellow layer.
~David