Finer CBN/diamond rods for the sharpmaker?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Haunted House

Finer CBN/diamond rods for the sharpmaker?

Post by Haunted House »

With all these new super steels coming out, Is there any chance we’ll see some finer CBN/diamond rods for the sharpmaker?

Maybe something in the 800-1200 grit range, to compliment the current 400 grit stones.
Sharp Guy

Re: Finer CBN/diamond rods for the sharpmaker?

Post by Sharp Guy »

They've been asking for this for awhile. Hopefully Sal will offer them at some point
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

If they offered a diamond or cbn rod that was between the current ones and the mediums, I'd buy it. That'd be a great finishing grit for those who like coarser edges. Wouldn't mind seeing a diamind bench stone from Spyderco either.
:unicorn
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I think we need a coarser stone myself. The diamonds aren't bad, but something that could really hog off metal would be welcome. I wouldn't be against finer ones either, but I think refining the diamond finish a little with the brown rods works well.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
vivi

Post by vivi »

soc_monki wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:51 pm
I think we need a coarser stone myself. The diamonds aren't bad, but something that could really hog off metal would be welcome. I wouldn't be against finer ones either, but I think refining the diamond finish a little with the brown rods works well.
I think they're coarse enough, but being limited to the sharpmaker rod dimensions slows things down. The same grit in a benchstone the size of their ceramics would be an ideal companion to a sharpmamer.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I´d buy the finer CBN rods. The "step" between the current ones and the brown "medium" stones is just a bit wide...

Also the discussions here started by Vivi made me try and appreciate coarser finished edges (I don´t use my white rods at all anymore these days). But the edge created just by the CBN rods is a bit TOO coarse for my liking , but it still could be coarser than coming from the browns (though maybe I could compensate a bit with better sharpening skills, don´t know)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:57 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:51 pm
I think they're coarse enough, but being limited to the sharpmaker rod dimensions slows things down. The same grit in a benchstone the size of their ceramics would be an ideal companion to a sharpmamer.
You're probably right. I know they do the job, you just have to swipe up and down or go in circles to speed up the process. Just for reprofiling though... Thinning an edge already at the same angles takes very little time. Which is why I'm trying to get better at freehand. I can take a lot more metal off with a bench stone much quicker, then clean it up on the diamond rods.

Much more to learn, have I!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think the issue is so much about grit as much as it is about how narrow the rods are. Compared to a bench stone you just aren't removing as much metal per swipe. I have diamond plates for my Edge Pro that are comparable to the diamond and CBN rods and they are significantly faster because they're about twice as wide.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:22 pm
If they offered a diamond or cbn rod that was between the current ones and the mediums, I'd buy it. That'd be a great finishing grit for those who like coarser edges. Wouldn't mind seeing a diamind bench stone from Spyderco either.
If I understand Cliff Stamp correctly, can’t you just make fewer passes on a finer stone to achieve that?

“By varying the number of passes you can generate an edge which has the essential behavior of any grit”
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I’m not sure if it’s currently even possible, but I’d quite like to see some Sharpmaker type rods or Gauntlet cats eye shaped rods in a bonded diamond or CBN format, like the 800/1200 Venev OCB stones.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm actually wanting to see Spyderco at least come up with one really coarse stone for the 204 Sharpmaker system. And I don't care if it's diamond, CBN, or even aluminum oxide.

Now if they want to expand their selection of different types of stones for the 204 Sharpmaker unit I would go along with it and probably buy everyone that they make available. But they at least need to make one stone that can do rapid stock removal for really beat up and dinged up blades.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd buy more CBN rods for the sharpmaker in ANY grit, coarser or finer. More options is a good thing, I'd have uses for both. There are steels that really should only be sharpened with cbn/diamond. Ideally I want an extra coarse, a medium, fine, and extra fine CBN. I have this set up for my KME and it works good for a variety of situations. Extra coarse for reprofiling, medium for 'working edges', fine for refined edges, extra fine for very refined edges and most importantly, quick touch ups.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Haunted House wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:00 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:22 pm
If I understand Cliff Stamp correctly, can’t you just make fewer passes on a finer stone to achieve that?

“By varying the number of passes you can generate an edge which has the essential behavior of any grit”
No. A 1,000 grit stone will not leave the same finish as a 400 grit stone no matter how you modify your stroke. Even stones made out of different materials with similar grit ratings leave different edge finishes.
cistercian

Post by cistercian »

I would like a Diamond stone for the sharpmaker the same as the medium stones grit
as well as a finer one too. If it never arrives I will build one with a block of wood
and cut slots in it at the same angle as the Sharpmaker and use whatever thin Diamond
stones I can find and just shove them into place. It would be ideal for correcting blades
with non matching bevels. And make quick work of very high Vanadium Carbide steels too.