FedEx

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bearfacedkiller

FedEx

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I hate FedEx. I also hate that Bass Pro/Cabelas uses them. I bought 4 pairs of redhead wool socks and yesterday FedEx just left them on the side of the road about a 1/2 mile from my house. I know that I live on a gnarly private road but either deliver it or don’t. Last winter I found multiple packages on the side of the road that they had apparently just left on top of snowbanks. I didn’t find them until spring when the snow all melted. When I reached out to them they didn’t seem to care. I guess that this winter will be more of the same.

I wouldn’t shed a tear if FedEx went out of business.

Thanks for letting me vent! Going hunting now!!! At least I have my new socks!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: FedEx

Post by Doc Dan »

File a lawsuit over damage and negligence and perhaps they will replace the lazy driver.

On your shipping instructions have the company write plainly door delivery only or something.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:42 am
I hate FedEx. I also hate that Bass Pro/Cabelas uses them. I bought 4 pairs of redhead wool socks and yesterday FedEx just left them on the side of the road about a 1/2 mile from my house. I know that I live on a gnarly private road but either deliver it or don’t. Last winter I found multiple packages on the side of the road that they had apparently just left on top of snowbanks. I didn’t find them until spring when the snow all melted. When I reached out to them they didn’t seem to care. I guess that this winter will be more of the same.

I wouldn’t shed a tear if FedEx went out of business.

Thanks for letting me vent! Going hunting now!!! At least I have my new socks!!!

The best thing you can really do is when you order something that will be delivered by FEDEX is to go on their website and have the packages held at the local FEDEX place for pickup.

If your road is really that bad they likely won't go down it as some FEDEX drivers are contractors and or own their own trucks.

Not taking up for FEDEX however, but just saying...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Given the choice, I'll opt for USPS shipping every time. UPS would always be my second choice, FEDEX a distant third, and DHL so distant a fourth as to be just barely ahead of having the shipper tie the package to some helium filled balloons and letting it fly off.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:02 am
Given the choice, I'll opt for USPS shipping every time. UPS would always be my second choice, FEDEX a distant third, and DHL so distant a fourth as to be just barely ahead of having the shipper tie the package to some helium filled balloons and letting it fly off.

Same here. :)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I can very much understand the mind bending frustration over shippers and their foibles, but I have to say that, in my experience only, FedEx has given me the least trouble. Now USPS and the brown one which name I shall not foul mine lips with have dropped the ball time and again. And I know I've said this before, but it's not even the mistakes that really bother me, I mean mistakes happen and I'm sure any logistics operation is bound to make them. Only human after all. It's the blasé blasé attitude they take when I try to get my package out of the nether edge of the cosmos that drives me nuts.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:42 am
I know that I live on a gnarly private road but either deliver it or don’t.
Your location says "hiding in the woods." No wonder the poor driver couldn't find you. I just googled on "roadside package delivery box," and found a bunch. You could order one today online, and then install it after you find it in the spring when the snow melts.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

OK, what to do about this so that it does not happen again?

I'd buy/build a little box (2ft x 2ft and 1ft deep) and mount it on a 4x4 post so that deliveries would be at or near the beginning of the driveway and stay out of the snow.

That ought to put an end to this issue.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

In my experience, both good or bad, it has been mostly up to the local delivery person and not the company as a whole. Companies set the policy, but it is up to the local driver to actually adhere to them. Eventually the bad ones are weeded out, but after how much trouble is the question. Near Christmas it is even worse as they hire seasonal workers who sometimes lack the motivation to do it by the book.
Also note, FedEx and FedEx Home are related companies, but not the same company. From what I can tell, FedEx Home is all independent drivers.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You should check out Darn Tough socks. They're a little pricey but come with an unconditional lifetime warranty that I've already used and was very painless. I wear mine year around in steel toe boots and I couldn't live without them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:30 am
You should check out Darn Tough socks. They're a little pricey but come with an unconditional lifetime warranty that I've already used and was very painless. I wear mine year around in steel toe boots and I couldn't live without them.
Thanks for posting about those David. Looking into them right now. Steel toe boots in literally 1 degree weather with "heavier" socks still doesn't quite cut it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Evil D wrote:
I second this! Darn Tough socks are awesome! About 3-4 years ago, I switched to wearing wool socks only and I will never go back haha! I have them in a variety of thicknesses from heavy-duty thick winter socks to lightweight low-profile summer socks. It's amazing to me how the merino wool regulates temperature and keeps your feet comfortable in any environment, hot/cold/wet/dry.. and the natural antimicrobial properties of the wool also go a long way towards mitigating stink. My family thought I was nuts spending ~ $20 on a single pair of socks.. until I bought them each a pair of Darn Toughs last Christmas.. all of the sudden, I'm not so crazy..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Evil D wrote:
I live in Vermont, I know all about Darn Tough socks. I wear them almost every day. I am a winter nut and kind of a sock geek. Darn Toughs are great but they aren’t warm enough for temps below zero. Those heavyweight Redhead socks are the warmest socks I have. I wear them with a pair of 2000 gram Irish Setter boots and my feet never get cold. That includes when sitting in a tree stand for 8 hours while temps are in the teens as well as 8 hour days ice fishing in temps well below zero.

I did get my wife a couple pairs of Darn Toughs for Christmas and I think I might be getting some myself.

Smart Wool makes nice socks too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Hi Darby. I would have to agree with The Deacon and Ankerson, in that I have had great results with USPS and have taken to using them as my go to option for all knife shipping these days.
I also completely agree with you and Evil D about Darn Tough socks (Smart Wool too for that matter). They are expensive but, they're so comfortable I'm downright addicted to them. Happy to hear I'm not the only sock geek. :p

All of the Fed/Ex guys I've known have been independent contractors. You're Fed/Ex driver is likely always the same person and I bet if you have a chance to talk with him you can work something out that works for both of you going forward. It might be worth a shot if you get the opportunity.

I hope you're having a great holiday season. Happy New Year!
CK
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Sometimes FEDEX just pisses me off.

Like I was supposed to have a package delivered today..... :rolleyes:

But that was changed to Tue... NOT MONDAY.... TUESDAY...… :mad:

And Monday is not a holiday....

And the package is were it was supposed to be tracking wise...

Personally I think someone needs to be fired... This is not the 1st time it's happened...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:09 am
The Deacon wrote:

Me 3 :D
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:56 am
Ankerson wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

The reason I like USPS is because they are very dependable in my area and I know when they are going to be here...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:16 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:56 am
Ankerson wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

The reason I like USPS is because they are very dependable in my area and I know when they are going to be here...
Yup. I agree 100%
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

What's even worse that FedEx, is FedEx Smartpost!
That is the bottom of the barrel my friends!
And, as Darby hates that Bass Pro uses FedEx, I hate that the Sportsmansguide uses Smartpost on a lot of their items. Now, dont get me wrong, the US Post Office is clean, the CULPRIT is FedEx. I ordered a jacket from the Guide on the 19th and it will not get to my Post Office until tomorrow! Although the package already sits 5 minutes from my Post Office now for 2 days!!! Not to mention that the package sat in West Virginia for 3 days!!
Man, no more Smartpost for me. Ever.....
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Cabelas uses UPS here but I also hate Fedex
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb