Any interest in more Phil Wilson collaboration?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Any interest in this one?

Yay
92%
Nay
8%

Total votes: 72

Pancake

Any interest in more Phil Wilson collaboration?

Post by Pancake »

So, Phil Wilson really knows how to desing a knife with great ergos.
Bow River looks like a big hit, partially I guess for the price. So, do you think that another collab sometime in the future has a potential?
Something like this?

Or would you like to see something like a fillet knife? (Not really interested myself)

As far as the materials, maybe something like a middle ground here (Southfork and Spring were high end, Bow river is a value, so another knife in something like VG-10, BD1N......)
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Nebrasketball

Re: Any interest in more Phil Wilson collaboration?

Post by Nebrasketball »

I would love to have an option in the middle. I think the Bow River is really a great buy but would appreciate an option with a better steel. Possibly a little larger too.
VG-10, H-1, 154-CM, LC200N, S30V, S35VN, S110V, M390, 20CV, CTS B70P, RWL34, AEB-L, N690Co, BD-1, XHP, 8cr13mov, CRUWEAR
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I might be very interested, especially in a fillet knife. However, if it is another Chinese value knife then I am not interest at all.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:10 am
I might be very interested, especially in a fillet knife. However, if it is another Chinese value knife then I am not interest at all.
Hey Darby, why not as a value knife?

I would vote for middle ground steel and price, like around 120 € with VG10, BD1N...or something else.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I'm ok with more budget options, so long as we also get more S90V.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Absolutely. Middle-ground variations on the South Fork and Bow River (or similar but new designs) would make me extremely happy. Crucarta versions of either would make me giddy. I'm not especially interested in a dedicated filet knife, though.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Something in the middle like CPM 154 would be nice. :)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:21 pm
That is an excellent choice and good bang for a buck.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pancake wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:27 am
So, Phil Wilson really knows how to desing a knife with great ergos.
Bow River looks like a big hit, partially I guess for the price. So, do you think that another collab sometime in the future has a potential?
Something like this?

Or would you like to see something like a fillet knife? (Not really interested myself)

As far as the materials, maybe something like a middle ground here (Southfork and Spring were high end, Bow river is a value, so another knife in something like VG-10, BD1N......)
I like the looks of that.

I'd like to see one of his designs in a tougher steel. S90V isn't a steel I'm interested in for a knife I may do some light batoning and prying with. Doesn't have to be carbon steel, AEB-L would work, and VG10 is tough enough for me in my Perrin bowies.
:unicorn
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I would just like to see more handle variations in the Bow River. Maybe a BD1N/Micarta Bow River. It might cost a bit more, but maybe offer it without a sheath to cut cost.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I would vote for a mid priced model too. RWL34 or cpm154 maybe? Even BD1N. I have a couple of Phil’s customs in cpm154 and BD1N and both of them perform very well.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

BD1n or cpm154 would be excellent. Cpm154 sharpens up so nicely...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im interested and agree with it being inbetween the expensive ones and cheap bow river option.

I always wanted a southfork and never got one. A more affordable but not cheap version of the southfork would be amazing.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I love Phil's designs and his use of high-end steel, but I don't have much use for a filet knife. I'd love to see a collaboration camp/utility knife; something like an ESEE 4 or 6 but thinner and in K390.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

I'd love to see a Wilson fillet-style blade in a high wear resistance stainless steel like S90V, Vanax, S110V, or S125V.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

DukeNiemand wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:45 pm
I'd love to see a Wilson fillet-style blade in a high wear resistance stainless steel like S90V, Vanax, S110V, or S125V.
Have you seen the South Fork?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Ankerson wrote:
This! Mid priced option with a tougher steel would be great, cpm154 if it’s stainless, cruwear/4v/etc

Is it possible to get in the $80-$120 range?
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

ZMW wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:19 pm
Ankerson wrote:
This! Mid priced option with a tougher steel would be great, cpm154 if it’s stainless, cruwear/4v/etc

Is it possible to get in the $80-$120 range?
Well, I would say that you can forget right now about 120 USD knife in Cru-Wear/4V.
CPM 154, BD1N, AEB-L are all viable option.

Again, I am not against steels like S90V, K390, 10V, but guys, how many people, even knife people, can spend 300 USD on one knife? Southfork was a beautiful knife with top grade materials, but even before it was discontinued, I could not afford it at all (mind you, in Europe it was around 350 €!!).

Spyderco fixed are a bit on pricier side. And I would like to give as many folks as posiible chance to have another Phil´s desing at home without spending a fortune.
avocadobbq

Post by avocadobbq »

I'll take whatever as long as it's affordable. I believe Sal said previously that the Chinese factory was only comfortable using 8cr13mov. So unless they use another factory and jack up the price it won't change.

If there's enough interest in a mid range one that's cool too though. I'll just wait for reviews and admire from afar. Fixed blades are not a priority for me right now.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

avocadobbq wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:40 am
I'll take whatever as long as it's affordable. I believe Sal said previously that the Chinese factory was only comfortable using 8cr13mov. So unless they use another factory and jack up the price it won't change.
I would take affordable knife in 8cr13mov over nice but 5x more expensive S90V knife in a heartbeat.