Community Sharpening Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Community Sharpening Journal

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:57 pm
Just received the Shapton Glass 4000 grit. Took my H1 pacific Salt SE and touched it up a bit.

Amazing edge swiftly, cant wait to work with all the grits.
Oops meant plain Edge and just ran it again. Lots of bad info in this thread. Vivi You Are all over the place.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've raised this question a couple of times in the recent past but it's a subject that truly baffles me. My question is this>> Are there any "Natural" stones that can compete with some of the newer ceramic and CBN stones. Now I'm not including diamond which is still the hardest substance known to science.

With diamond being the undisputed "natural" sharpening abrasive it just baffles me to no end that there aren't other rocks or minerals out that that would be close to it on the Moh's Hardness Scale that could be used for abrasive uses. But other than "coticules" and "novaculite" I can't really think of anything that mother nature has to offer to sharpen many of these newer/better blade steels.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:31 am
My question is this>> Are there any "Natural" stones that can compete with some of the newer ceramic and CBN stones.
Belgian Coticule stones have a good reputation. KKnives Switzerland does the extreme HT like DBH and he likes the Belgian stones. Never tried it myself, so I can't say for sure if this is would do the job. I'm inclined to say that there are probably not many natural stones that work like CBN.

https://youtu.be/MIov1rXHh6I
Doeswhateveraspidercan

A while back I got a bit upset with Work Sharp over their new Angle Set knife sharpener because there were reviews placed on Amazon 2 full months before it's actual release. To be clear I do own many Worksharp products some better than others but none of them truly bad like so many other gimmicks on the market.

One member here got their nose bent out of joint over my strongly worded opinions.

Can't say I felt great about that and as time went on I thought you know what you are shooting your mouth off taking the side of the negative reviewers based on an algorithm that spots fake reviews and not putting my money where your mouth is and you even advised another member not to purchase the latest sharpening device called the Angle Set knife sharpener.

Based on the algorithm and the behavior of early posting was my real beef. I also viewed the way the sharpening arms rotate without a fixed lock as a design flaw assuming that they would move during sharpening.

I also was defending the Spyderco Sharpmaker and it's often copied design in this market space.

So I set out to rectify this and did purchase the Angle Set knife sharpener.

I have to formally apologize for my strong words, I will not apologize for the truth however the reviews should never have been placed on Amazon 2 months preceding the release and I do believe their are many fake planted reviews for the device.

All that being said I have to say my first thought after using this device was Uh Oh I think Spyderco has a problem on their hands.

To be clear this will not be able to replace the Sharpmakers ability to sharpen serrated knives. Big point to the Sharpmaker.

This device however is ah gosh durn it I hate to say this but in a word Incredible.

The device is sturdy it does not feel like a pice of junk.

Set up is fast and secure.

The rotating rods do have sufficient resistance that they are not going to move despite lacking a ratcheting locking mechanism. I was very wrong about this being a design flaw.

The Abrasives: Two diamond sides and one ceramic are in a word among some of the best I have ever used.

For the test I used a Spyderco Hundred Pacer in CTS-XHP it is a dedicated Kitchen folder and was dull.

I used the fine diamonds instead of the coarse because there was no reason to re-profile.

I gave it 5 passes on each side followed by extremely light alternating strokes and then did the same with the ceramics after rotating the rods in place, which is indeed a stroke of genius in the design.

Than came time to cut the 18 inch Pizza which is never cut all the way through molten cheese etc.....

I was shocked to see just how sharp the knife became after that little bit of tinkering. Not only did it slice the pizza like a laser but also cleanly cut the wax paper betwixt the pizza and the box even though I was using light pressure.

I am extremely satisfied with this purchase and can firmly say these abrasives are superior.

Furthermore I do not see this in competition with th Spyderco Sharpmaker any longer. I view it as the evolution of what Sal created but not a replacement. Of the two the Sharpmaker is the most versatile.

In my opinion the two belong together in ever persons tool kit and if you had this device from Worksharp and the sharpmaker for the things it ccan not do IE Spydie Edges then you are done no need to purchase any other guided sharpening system unless you want to go for polished bevels etc then get a Wicked edge pro and or a Hapstone 7.

While it is true it is not possible to thin out the secondary edge on any of these guided systems you can most certainly touch up, change the degree of the primary edge and create back-bevels. Thinning out the Secondary edge behind the blade is still the providence of free hand sharpening.

So In closing please find below a picture and Vivi go ahead and get this you will like it, sorry I advised against it with out actual experience of the device.

jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:11 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:59 pm

Although I have a lot of accumulated sharpening stuff, those two are what I've used 99% of the time for 30 years. I think it's time to get a sharpmaker with all the rods, just because... and have never owned one.
Thanks for talking me into it.
I kept reading about how the crystolon was a classic stone, so I figured I'd give it a shot. The dmt was a no brainer, was inexpensive and works great, I was really impressed with the speed it cuts! Left a good edge, was slicing paper and paper towels no problem, but didn't seem to want to pop hair that well. So a few swipes on the sharpmaker was all it needed to give it a little refinement.

The sharpmaker is a great system, and I don't care what people say you can reprofile with the diamond (or cbn) rods. It does take a bit, but there are techniques to speed up the process. Took me a little while to do my 20cv Kershaw Bareknuckle, but it did it. And once the bevel is set thinning the bevel later is a breeze.

The angles aren't exact however. The 30 degree slots on mine add up to about 28.5 degrees. Not an issue really... Just makes for better slicing! Love the sharpmaker... Won't ever give it up!
The coarse side of my Norton JB8 is for hogging off metal fast, like repairing damage, thinning, and reseting bevels. I find it invaluable for this. As I approach apexing, I lighten the pressure considerably to minimize flexing, which is damaging, then go to the finer side with light pressure to confirm the apex and clean up the coarse grind.
Coarse diamonds will cut just as fast, but in order to do so I have to use excess pressure, which causes plate damage and greatly shortens the life. All my diamond plates are for finishing only, which could be coarse thru extra extra fine.

After the fine side of the crytolon, I go to the fine diamond with light strokes to kinda true everything up and a little more refinement, a few strokes on bare denim and done. This is usually where I stop except for some specialty blades with dedicated tasks. Some of those I might take down to coarse, or all the way to 1 micron diamond paste.

I've always wanted the sharpmaker just for the convienience of light touch ups, which I do a lot of. Now that diamond and boron rods are available, I think it's time.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:37 pm
A while back I got a bit upset with Work Sharp over their new Angle Set knife sharpener because there were reviews placed on Amazon 2 full months before it's actual release. To be clear I do own many Worksharp products some better than others but none of them truly bad like so many other gimmicks on the market.

One member here got their nose bent out of joint over my strongly worded opinions.

Can't say I felt great about that and as time went on I thought you know what you are shooting your mouth off taking the side of the negative reviewers based on an algorithm that spots fake reviews and not putting my money where your mouth is and you even advised another member not to purchase the latest sharpening device called the Angle Set knife sharpener.

Based on the algorithm and the behavior of early posting was my real beef. I also viewed the way the sharpening arms rotate without a fixed lock as a design flaw assuming that they would move during sharpening.

I also was defending the Spyderco Sharpmaker and it's often copied design in this market space.

I have to formally apologize for my strong words, I will not apologize for the truth however the reviews should never have been placed on Amazon 2 months preceding the release and I do believe their are many fake planted reviews for the device.

All that being said I have to say my first thought after using this device was Uh Oh I think Spyderco has a problem on their hands.

To be clear this will not be able to replace the Sharpmakers ability to sharpen serrated knives. Big point to the Sharpmaker.

This device however is ah gosh durn it I hate to say this but in a word Incredible.

The rotating rods do have sufficient resistance that they are not going to move despite lacking a ratcheting locking mechanism. I was very wrong about this being a design flaw.

The Abrasives: Two diamond sides and one ceramic are in a word among some of the best I have ever used.

For the test I used a Spyderco Hundred Pacer in CTS-XHP it is a dedicated Kitchen folder and was dull.

I used the fine diamonds instead of the coarse because there was no reason to re-profile.

I gave it 5 passes on each side followed by extremely light alternating strokes and then did the same with the ceramics after rotating the rods in place, which is indeed a stroke of genius in the design.

Than came time to cut the 18 inch Pizza which is never cut all the way through molten cheese etc.....

I was shocked to see just how sharp the knife became after that little bit of tinkering. Not only did it slice the pizza like a laser but also cleanly cut the wax paper betwixt the pizza and the box even though I was using light pressure.

I am extremely satisfied with this purchase and can firmly say these abrasives are superior.

Furthermore I do not see this in competition with th Spyderco Sharpmaker any longer. I view it as the evolution of what Sal created but not a replacement. Of the two the Sharpmaker is the most versatile.

In my opinion the two belong together in ever persons tool kit and if you had this device from Worksharp and the sharpmaker for the things it ccan not do IE Spydie Edges then you are done no need to purchase any other guided sharpening system unless you want to go for polished bevels etc then get a Wicked edge pro and or a Hapstone 7.

While it is true it is not possible to thin out the secondary edge on any of these guided systems you can most certainly touch up, change the degree of the primary edge and create back-bevels. Thinning out the Secondary edge behind the blade is still the providence of free hand sharpening.

So In closing please find below a picture and Vivi go ahead and get this you will like it, sorry I advised against it with out actual experience of the device.

I was only interested in it if the stones could be used flat like a bench stone. I read they weren't, so I passed. I don't use the sharpmaker rods in their slots either unless I'm doing a serrated knife. I get better results using them like a bench stone.
:unicorn
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:25 pm

The coarse side of my Norton JB8 is for hogging off metal fast, like repairing damage, thinning, and reseting bevels. I find it invaluable for this. As I approach apexing, I lighten the pressure considerably to minimize flexing, which is damaging, then go to the finer side with light pressure to confirm the apex and clean up the coarse grind.
Coarse diamonds will cut just as fast, but in order to do so I have to use excess pressure, which causes plate damage and greatly shortens the life. All my diamond plates are for finishing only, which could be coarse thru extra extra fine.

After the fine side of the crytolon, I go to the fine diamond with light strokes to kinda true everything up and a little more refinement, a few strokes on bare denim and done. This is usually where I stop except for some specialty blades with dedicated tasks. Some of those I might take down to coarse, or all the way to 1 micron diamond paste.

I've always wanted the sharpmaker just for the convienience of light touch ups, which I do a lot of. Now that diamond and boron rods are available, I think it's time.
One reason I wanted the crystolon was because I could use heavy pressure and not have to worry about ripping diamonds off the plate. If I want to reprofile an edge I can really get down on it and get the job done. I do have to work on lightening my pressure getting near the end though. I tend to keep wanting to press down harder and have to constantly remind myself to lighten up. Will just take practice!

I will have to try stopping on denim though... I have done it before, just swiping a few times on my jeans at work lol or my belt. Need to do some testing and see what results I can get compared to using the sharpmaker stones after the fine diamonds.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:38 pm

I was only interested in it if the stones could be used flat like a bench stone. I read they weren't, so I passed. I don't use the sharpmaker rods in their slots either unless I'm doing a serrated knife. I get better results using them like a bench stone.
Yes of course they can be used flat. Why such an absurd question?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

soc_monki wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:53 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:25 pm

One reason I wanted the crystolon was because I could use heavy pressure and not have to worry about ripping diamonds off the plate. If I want to reprofile an edge I can really get down on it and get the job done. I do have to work on lightening my pressure getting near the end though. I tend to keep wanting to press down harder and have to constantly remind myself to lighten up. Will just take practice!

I will have to try stopping on denim though... I have done it before, just swiping a few times on my jeans at work lol or my belt. Need to do some testing and see what results I can get compared to using the sharpmaker stones after the fine diamonds.
I think it's important to go very very light when dealing with the apex, and the more acute the angle the more important.
The denim stropping I refer to is usually on my pant leg, and just to clean any residuals from the apex. I acually also do this in between every few strokes on my final stone/plate.

Also before starting on my final stone/plate, I make sure both the blade and stone/plate are clean.

All that may sound a little ocd, and it may be, but it's a habit I got in decades? ago because I thought it helped.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I can't think of a sharpening job that benefits from heavy pressure.
:unicorn
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Heavy pressure is beneficial on coarse silicon carbide stones to get the full depth of the cut to grind away metal fast but, should only be done when there's enough steel to support it, to minimize edge flex.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You use a Pacer, a $200+ FOLDER...strictly for kitchen use??? Your completely missing out on great sets of actual KITCHEN knives for that price dude. That makes no sense at all to me. What a waste of money man. :rolleyes:

A Bow River for $32 could do just the same, with a much longer cutting edge if your looking to stick to Spyderco. Or the Z cuts.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
jackh

Post by jackh »

Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:57 pm
Just received the Shapton Glass 4000 grit. Took my H1 pacific Salt SE and touched it up a bit.

Amazing edge swiftly, cant wait to work with all the grits.
I have every Shapton glass stone grit from 320 to 16000. I think I bought them one at a time. Which direction are you planning to go in grit? Higher or lower? Personally, I think lower grits would be more beneficial. Higher than 4000 would be for things like straight razors which need as smooth an edge as possible. I would suggest getting a 1000 grit next if you go lower. I'm pretty sure going from 1000 to 4000 would work. It might be different with harder steels like ZDP-189. I only have one ZDP blade knife. I have the bevels pretty low with a mirror polish with a higher angle micro-bevel to help prevent chipping. It looks and cuts great. I may hit the mirror bevels with a 1000 and then a 4000 to see how it works. I may need to use the higher grits to get the mirror polish back. I'll see. If I get to this soon I'll let you know the results.
jackh

Post by jackh »

I went ahead and experimented with the 1k and 4k progression. Started with a pretty good mirror polish on a ZDP blade. The 1k make the reflection blurry. The 4k polished it up pretty well. But I think to return it to it's finish to start with I may want to the higher grits or strop it. But I'm happy with it now.

I took pictures but don't know how to post them.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Upload them to imgur.com then choose get share links then copy the code for bbbcode forums like this one. Paste into your post then it will show
Doeswhateveraspidercan

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:11 pm
You use a Pacer, a $200+ FOLDER...strictly for kitchen use??? Your completely missing out on great sets of actual KITCHEN knives for that price dude. That makes no sense at all to me. What a waste of money man. :rolleyes:

A Bow River for $32 could do just the same, with a much longer cutting edge if your looking to stick to Spyderco. Or the Z cuts.
You might want to get a Hundred Pacer while you still can they have been discontinued and come Jan 2020 the retailers are applying a at-least a 10% price hike on Spyderco and Benchhmade knives.

Now is the time to wast your money B4 it is too late and costs more.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:37 pm
I think it's important to go very very light when dealing with the apex, and the more acute the angle the more important.
The denim stropping I refer to is usually on my pant leg, and just to clean any residuals from the apex. I acually also do this in between every few strokes on my final stone/plate.

Also before starting on my final stone/plate, I make sure both the blade and stone/plate are clean.

All that may sound a little ocd, and it may be, but it's a habit I got in decades? ago because I thought it helped.
I tend to keep all my stuff clean as well. Nothing wrong with keeping your tools maintained! Speaking of which, I might need to clean some of my stones... Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:30 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:38 pm

Yes of course they can be used flat. Why such an absurd question?

Whoops Edit meant what an absurd answer not question sorry about that.
jackh

Post by jackh »

jackh wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:43 am
I went ahead and experimented with the 1k and 4k progression. Started with a pretty good mirror polish on a ZDP blade. The 1k make the reflection blurry. The 4k polished it up pretty well. But I think to return it to it's finish to start with I may want to the higher grits or strop it. But I'm happy with it now.

I took pictures but don't know how to post them.
Thanks Doeswhateveraspidercan. Here are pictures.

Start finish on edge bevel (not apex).

Bevel after Shapton glass 1k stone. You can see the blurrier reflection wherever the bevel hit the stone.

Bevel after Shapton glass 4k stone. I didn't use the 2k stone.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

That is pretty darn nice, still waiting on my 1000 Shapton Glass and the the 320 kuromaku they should arrive Monday.

I also picked up the 12K kuromaku, obtained the other glass stones in grits as described before already and have a super grit progression project in mind using all of them.

So far just touching up an H1 Salt with the 4K I was very impressed.

By the way I have to point something out I do not subscribe to Amazon Prime, last I looked they wanted $120.00 per year. When I do order stuff from them like the Glass 1000 they are dog slow to ship.

So they have lost a lot of my business, to my Benefit I might add.

Since dropping prime I have been making purchases elsewhere and the order I placed from sharpening supplies.com was swiftly delivered, with free shipping I saved over $30.00 compared to Amazon and much better packaging.

Amazon just tossed the 4K stone in a padded envelope, good thing these glass stones are tough thought for sure it would be a return then they tossed the 412 K in a box with no padding.

Crazy.