Models with titanium clips?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Models with titanium clips?

Post by Evil D »

I know the Salts with the barrel clips changed to titanium clips some time ago, and the Caribbean has them, but are there any others? Anyone manage to break one yet? I've noticed that the spring action seems a little less strong on my Caribbean clips, so much that yesterday I took it off and bent it inward a bit to snug it down. It could also be a result of the texture of these scales, despite the machined rubbing they seem to be pretty slick and side in and out of your pocket really easily, so with thin pants pockets I've noticed it moving around more than usual.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
StuntZombie

Re: Models with titanium clips?

Post by StuntZombie »

I'm pretty sure the newer three screw Salt clips are titanium as well.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Monty

Post by Monty »

I believe the Nirvana and Paysan have ti clips.
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

Drunken clip is also Ti
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

The only TI clips I own are Kizer.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

My Caribbean's clip did require re-bending during it's annual maintenance. Hasn't been an issue with anything but a crocheted blanket, they will snatch it right out of my pocket. But they will snag pretty much any knife I own.

As for breaking, I don't see that happening. It seemed pretty ductile.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm not exactly sure what they made my favorite Spyderco pocket clip with. But the Pocket Clip on the old GUNTING model is my very favorite of all time. That GUNTING Clip made with titanium on a C-36 Military or even on a PARA2 would just be "The Bomb" in my opinion.

Even though the GUNTING never really caught on as a preferred EDC type model I still liked many aspects of it and especially the clip. I'm also willing to bet that if the wire clips were made of titanium it would also have distinct advantages as well.

The corrosion resistant properties would be desirable for sure but the strength of the titanium would also have a lot of advantages as well.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Nope. Titanium may be stronger than steel by weight, but not by volume. That's why titanium is usually run much thicker than steel would be in a given application. Titanium clips, be they stamped or wire, are not as strong as steel clips of the same thickness.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

yablanowitz wrote: Nope. Titanium may be stronger than steel by weight, but not by volume. That's why titanium is usually run much thicker than steel would be in a given application. Titanium clips, be they stamped or wire, are not as strong as steel clips of the same thickness.
Yup. Look at bike frames. Steel tubing is small, Titanium is a little bigger (not much) and very expensive, and aluminum tubing is absolutely huge. All shooting for the same range of strength/stress.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."