Who else wants a SE Lil'Matriarch Salt in H1 ?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pancake

Re: Who else wants a SE Lil'Matriarch Salt in H1 ?!

Post by Pancake »

ZMW wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:25 am
Where is Larrin with toughness data on H1 vs LC?? Like everyone else, I am really curious. I don’t recall seeing H1 on his previous toughness charts
Larrin has tested LC200N but I think it was under name Z-finit. For stainless steel, it has superb toughness.

H1 is a different animal and you can't test it the same way. You can't get it outside Japan and you can't heat treated it - it just not work that way. There are no bars of H1 available for knife making. And for toughness testing you need to have speciment with specific dimensions.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Thank you! I didn’t know z finit is the same as lc200n.

Pancake wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:07 am
ZMW wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:25 am
Where is Larrin with toughness data on H1 vs LC?? Like everyone else, I am really curious. I don’t recall seeing H1 on his previous toughness charts
Larrin has tested LC200N but I think it was under name Z-finit. For stainless steel, it has superb toughness.

H1 is a different animal and you can't test it the same way. You can't get it outside Japan and you can't heat treated it - it just not work that way. There are no bars of H1 available for knife making. And for toughness testing you need to have speciment with specific dimensions.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

BUMP
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Would like one of these with an Emerson opener....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:56 pm
I don’t need any of the “fast opening” attributes but I have often used the spydiehole on a Pacific Salt to lever a hook out of a fishes mouth. An Emerson opener would probably make a nice little pry-claw.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I may have missed the discussion, but does the reverse "s" provide any particular benefit over a normal hawkbill?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:25 pm
I may have missed the discussion, but does the reverse "s" provide any particular benefit over a normal hawkbill?

Maybe some situations where that little bit of belly gives you a reach advantage, like if you were trying to cut on a cutting board or something. Otherwise they seem to have a less dramatic hook shape overall which may have some advantage somewhere depending on how you're using it. I'm really not for or against either one, the pros and cons seem less significant to me than the model/steel/etc.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomH

Post by TomH »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
I would like this, too.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Whittling type cuts. Cutting objects on the corner of a flat surface. Cuts where you hold something against the side of the blade with your thumb to make a cut (like cutting fishing line or string). Basically, the reverse S gives you a section of blade at the heel that is in line/parallel with the handle. This doesn’t sound like a big difference but in my experience it makes a big difference in how useful the knife is for average “EDC” type tasks. I also feel like the down sweep at the tip is less severe on some reverse S shapes so a pull cut using just the tip is more fluid. (This type of “scoring” cut is one of the most common cuts I do with these types of blades)
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:51 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Whittling type cuts. Cutting objects on the corner of a flat surface. Cuts where you hold something against the side of the blade with your thumb to make a cut (like cutting fishing line or string). Basically, the reverse S gives you a section of blade at the heel that is in line/parallel with the handle. This doesn’t sound like a big difference but in my experience it makes a big difference in how useful the knife is for average “EDC” type tasks. I also feel like the down sweep at the tip is less severe on some reverse S shapes so a pull cut using just the tip is more fluid. (This type of “scoring” cut is one of the most common cuts I do with these types of blades)

That makes sense and I think I see the merit. Thanks for the reply!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:42 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
PeaceInOurTime wrote:

I find the angle of approach more natural for "EDC" tasks with the mild reverse S on the LM vs a full hawkbill like the Tasman. For me the rear portion of a hawkbill goes unused whereas with the LM I tend to use the whole blade.

-Turbo
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:37 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
PeaceInOurTime wrote:

I find the angle of approach more natural for "EDC" tasks with the mild reverse S on the LM vs a full hawkbill like the Tasman. For me the rear portion of a hawkbill goes unused whereas with the LM I tend to use the whole blade.

Interesting. This makes me wonder about how a blade with several consecutive mild re-curves/waves would perform (in SE). Granted, it would likely need to be much longer than the LM. I'm not aware of any similar existing blades.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:21 pm
bbturbodad wrote:
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:

Interesting. This makes me wonder about how a blade with several consecutive mild re-curves/waves would perform (in SE). Granted, it would likely need to be much longer than the LM. I'm not aware of any similar existing blades.
The only one is the Kris, but it was only made in PE.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

If it comes without that Lil in the name, it could be very interesting.
Like a Pacific Salt 2 with reverse S blade.... yeah (but hawkbill could be also good).
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:21 pm
bbturbodad wrote:
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:

Seems like it would only really be beneficial if you're cutting something wide enough to get each wave of the blade over what you're cutting, unless you're pulling the blade over something like a sawing motion. I'm sure it would be a strong cutter but I'm not sure it would have many advantages over just one. I'd definitely try one out though.

Actually now that I think about it there is/was a kitchen knife with sort of a similar pattern, at least in the serrations themselves. It wasn't really a full on "Kris" style blade but there's a definite wave to the edge.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

^^^ that's sort of the same idea. Maybe someday the Police handle will be mated with a reverse "s" (or multiple waves) blade. There certainly has been alot of talk this year about the reverse "s" in all sizes.

Sorry if I'm a bit off topic. Back to the LM salt, I don't know that I would buy one, but it does seem like it would make more sense to have that model as a salt. It would seem beneficial to have your defensive tool (as it was designed to be) able to handle wet, salty conditions.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
This would be the icing on the cake for this knife!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sounds good to me👍
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Bump!!!
-Turbo
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
This would be awesome!
--Jeremy