Byrd Hawkbill

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Cowboyfromhell

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I am impressed by the quality if the BYRD knives. I gifted 2 robin2 to my wife and daughter and they love them too! I actually had to have one too so I ordered a hawkbill serrated! These are the best bang for the buck knives I have ever seen. Honestly I think I like the Robyn2 better than my DFLY2 which is 3x the price!!!!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Cowboy, welcome to the forum and yes the Byrd Knives are great aren't they? The Hawkbill cuts like a chainsaw. I have heard that fishermen and fisherwomen use them on boats and when fishing from land.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Got my first ever Byrd in the mail today. The Hawkbill. Great value for a Spyderedge Hawk. Can't wait to put it to use!

How about a Spyderhawk sized Byrd???????? THAT would be amazing! My Spyderhawk is the only knife I have a backup of. I would love to see the H1 SE Spyderhawk as a production knife, but a budget friendly Byrd version would be nice as well for a great beater yard knife.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
nugi

Post by nugi »

Just received a Byrd hawkbill and everything about it is great except for one thing - the point stops on the plastic back ever so slightly. The point appears to rest maybe a hair’s breadth above the back (I actually can’t tell if it’s touching or not) but it definitely makes contact upon closing the knife. Should I send it back or is this just Byrd? Otherwise the knife is impressive but I’m not sure if it will be able to maintain a point
Wire clip me. Wire clip now. Me a wire clip needing a lot now.
nugi

Post by nugi »

I scraped some plastic away inside the handle, no more contact!
Wire clip me. Wire clip now. Me a wire clip needing a lot now.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I would definitely be interested in a byrd equivalent of the spyderhawk. Hawkbills don't always sell well but some of us would definitely like it. IIRC the crossbill is very close to Spyderhawk size - wouldn't mind a serrated option on that, even as a sprint or similar.

I really like the hawkbill. I dig the choil even though it takes a little length off the edge. Very much like a more affordable tasman/merlin.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:06 am
Got my first ever Byrd in the mail today. The Hawkbill. Great value for a Spyderedge Hawk. Can't wait to put it to use!

How about a Spyderhawk sized Byrd???????? THAT would be amazing! My Spyderhawk is the only knife I have a backup of. I would love to see the H1 SE Spyderhawk as a production knife, but a budget friendly Byrd version would be nice as well for a great beater yard knife.
How are you liking your Byrd hawkbill? Isn't it easy to sharpen? Do you love the shallow serrations? For me it's the perfect size. I would love to see a golden version of this.
Justin
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

It's very close to the same size as the tasman, with a little less cutting edge due to the choil. I like the choil and the shallower serrations are less likely to hang up, but the tasman will tear a bit more. Both are fine choices.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Just placed an order for one. It'll be my first hawkbill blade and I am interested in seeing how I like it. Also, it will be my first Byrd knife.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's new to me...you guys should consider the Matriarch if looking into a hawkbill. Fantastic quality for under $100 (SE VG-10). Using mine today.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

It’s also $70 more dollars...

A Byrd hawkbill is $24... Just about 1/4th the price.

I own all the SE h1 hawkbills from spyderco and I still think I’m gonna but one of these for something?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:42 pm

I own all the SE h1 hawkbills from spyderco and I still think I’m gonna but one of these for something?
WOW! I didn't realize the price difference. I wouldn't even have mentioned it had I known. My bad everyone.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:52 pm
prndltech wrote:

WOW! I didn't realize the price difference. I wouldn't even have mentioned it had I known. My bad everyone.
:D

I’ve heard everyone rave about the Byrd hawkbill...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:52 pm
prndltech wrote:

Yeah exactly. I've been wanting to give a hawkbill a try, and had my eye on the Harpy, but decided to start with the Byrd. $26 is ridiculously cheap, and while there is obviously going to be a big difference in fit, finish, and overall quality, I figured at that price I don't have anything to lose.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:40 am
Just placed an order for one. It'll be my first hawkbill blade and I am interested in seeing how I like it. Also, it will be my first Byrd knife.

Honestly, I don't quite understand why the Byrds haven't been absorbed into the Spyderco value line. I've owned several Byrds and can't complain comparing them to the Chinese Spydies.

I've been enjoying my Hawkbill since getting it a few days ago. Let us know how you like it!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:27 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:40 am

Honestly, I don't quite understand why the Byrds haven't been absorbed into the Spyderco value line. I've owned several Byrds and can't complain comparing them to the Chinese Spydies.

I've been enjoying my Hawkbill since getting it a few days ago. Let us know how you like it!

I most certainly will. I'm thinking of doing a hawkbill-only carry challenge for awhile, when I get it. I've found that nothing quite acquaintances you with a knife's design or steel like forcing yourself to carry it exclusively for a month. That's what made me really appreciate SE in the form of my Pacific Salt last year.
- Connor

PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

The Meat man wrote:
I most certainly will. I'm thinking of doing a hawkbill-only carry challenge for awhile, when I get it. I've found that nothing quite acquaintances you with a knife's design or steel like forcing yourself to carry it exclusively for a month. That's what made me really appreciate SE in the form of my Pacific Salt last year.

I'm forcing myself to only carry SE this coming year (for my primary user) and am starting off the year with the Hawkbill :) .

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Well, the knife came a few days ahead of schedule. First impressions:

For the money, it's a very nice knife. The construction is solid and well done. Opening and closing is quite stiff but will probably smooth out over time. The blade is centered when closed.

The lock is well executed, very strong, and does not have any side-to-side play. It does have some vertical play, but every backlock I own has some degree of that.

I don't like the raised ridge around the FRN handle. I wish it would be more rounded. I also dislike the "registered" symbol etched into the blade; it makes it look tacky.

As you can see on the attached photos, the backspacer doesn't sit flush with the scales. A minor point and one easily remedied. On the plus side, the lockbar is perfectly flush both in the locked and closed positions.

The serrations are much shallower and slightly more rounded than on my typical Spyderco knives, which I think will be a good thing. Less pointy and less deep serrations mean less prone to snagging, and maybe a bit easier to sharpen also. We'll see how the performance is.

The knife came sharp enough to both slice and pushcut phonebook paper. Also sharp enough to slice an orange in half. ;)

For $26 I cannot complain. I look forward to putting this knife to some hard use.

- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Out on a run this afternoon:

- Connor

PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

https://youtu.be/Vb04reY528s