Which models did you initially dislike but then came around?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

Recently acquired a dodo. Pulled it out of the box, opened the blade, tried to close it....and kind of hated it. But decided to keep playing with it, and now I'm in between.

I had the same experience with the sliverax and pm2. Pm2 I'm still in between, doesn't really do anything great for me. Sliverax however is now one of my favorites, and the reason why I'll give a knife a chance after a bad first impression.
"Seven for One"
Larry_Mott

Re: Which models did you initially dislike but then came around?

Post by Larry_Mott »

Jot Singh Khalsa
Poliwog
Massad Ayoob
Bram Frank Gunting

Didn't get any of them at all and thought they looked like renditions of Quasimodo :) Still don't think any of them will win a beauty contest, but once in hand and their features explained they suddenly clicked with me.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

For me it was the Military. I disliked the tip down only carry, never liked liner locks and thought it was too big. I tried a friends and was really impressed with the execution of the liner lock. When I thought to carry it in my back right pocket it just made sense so I bought one. My preferences change on blade size but I’m finding when I prefer to carry a smaller blade I’d also like to have a larger one. I also like to have the option to have a Millie when wearing gloves. I now have 4 different version Millie’s and usually have one on me since I only carry it in my back pocket. I’m still not a big fan of liner locks but the execution of that lock on this model is the closest I’ll come to liking it, and that’s ok because the model overall is just a great knife.

The only thing that could make it better is a cqi run in Cruwear!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I was just thinking about this issue a couple of days ago. It's been a few years since I got my very first Micarta STEETBEAT model but I do remember it very well. When I got my first STREETBEAT model I was actually disappointed. For a fixed blade it just seemed too small for what I normally use a fixed blade for.

Well my best buddy ( now deceased) came over that evening and he just flipped out over it. You all have probably even read some of my other threads describing him using a STREETBEAT for his main EDC>> well that's where it all began. He shortly devised a really cool ankle sheath for it from that point on it was his main EDC.

Well I later got me another one and I soon realized that there were a lot of aspects of that great model that I was overlooking. Never ever judge any Spyderco knife until you actually get to use it.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I came to Spyderco wanting leaf-shaped blades. Out was anything in the Military or Endura families. Not anymore.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Delica4. Took a period of forced carry, but my hand finally came to terms with the ergos.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Ulize.

I didn't like the recurve or size in general. I pretty much wrote the model off entirely when it was readily available. After it was discontinued I started to look into it a bit more and eventually became really fond of the design.
-Nick :bug-red
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Manix.

I tend to prefer more traditional, simple designs and the contouring of the handle and wide profile of the Manix when closed did not appeal to me at all initially.. based solely on looks, I wanted nothing to do with it for a long time actually. However, reading so many positive reviews warmed me up to it enough to buy a Manix 2 LW. Once in hand, I liked it immediately. Using that model for a time led me to a regular Manix 2 and Manix 2 Backlock. They are little pocket hogs compared with other models, and I've always felt that there is an awful lot of knife compared to sharpened blade length.. but I cannot deny that they are ergonomic masterpieces, so comfortable in hand and in use. It still may not be my favorite design, but it's definitely one that I've come to appreciate.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Savageshooter

Post by Savageshooter »

I didn't like any of them. Crazy hole in the blade looked funny. Now I like all of them, own a dozen and probably not done.
pR13S7

Post by pR13S7 »

Para3.

When I've seen first pictures of this knife I thought - wow, it looks like ugly photoshopped para-2. But when I first held it in my hands I realized that this is a perfect knife for me. So now I'm waiting for more sprints of lw para 3 :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Military
Manix 2
Southard
Ulize
Nilakka
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

Delica4 and Caly3

When I first started i didn't like FRN and couldn't stand backlocks due to the lock rock. The super blue versions made me give these knives a second try and I eventually fell in love with both of them. And now, the delica is my favourite knife
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Also the Delica 4. When I first got one I mostly had flippers, and I just didn't like the stiff back lock and I wasn't comfortable closing it one-handed. And the action on my first one was especially stiff. But I liked the size and handle ergos so much that I kept it and carried it. Once it broke in and I learned an easy way to close it, it became a definite favorite (and a gateway drug to many other spydie backlocks).
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Manix 2, until I tried the backlock version.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Native 5.
Didnt like it at first then one day it just clicked and I loved it. Now I have several versions of it.

Endura 4.
Takes me a few days of constant carry until I start liking it as opposed to just being ok with it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

All of them.

I used to work in a knife store and fell in love with Benchmade first. The flashy designs and the axis lock seems so smooth, and I thought that Spydercos were ugly.

Eventually, the Endura won me over. The comfort of the spydie hole, the lightweight design, high-performance blade, the emphasis on high quality steel - what's not to love?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Delica 4. She’s that solid 8 that has expressed interest in you and you keep looking for a 10. Through a strange turn of events you end up getting a kiss and fireworks explode. I went a long way away from Delicas before realizing the simple utilitarian beauty.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Those weird looking Spyderco knives!

From the first time I saw an advertisement decades ago, I never understood them. Then a year or two ago I wanted another Benchmade Axis Lock knife, but the company wasn't making anything that struck my fancy. The Chicoms were making knockoffs that weren't very good. And then there were those Spyderco folks. Could their ball bearing lock be any good? I gave it a try.

Since then, I've purchased a couple more Spyderco's, and that's all I carry now. I look at other brands, but everything else I see is lacking.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Pm2
Stretch 2
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Tims wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:51 pm
Pm2
Stretch 2
I think I remember strongly recommending the Stretch 2 to you earlier this year and you were hesitant. Glad you came around-- I think it's an ergonomic genius design.

It's the only 'humped' Spyder that I really love. I generally prefer the 'humpless' Natives and SpydieChef.