Stretched Stretch - continued from Straight spine thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sirens1

Re: Stretched Stretch - continued from Straight spine thread

Post by Sirens1 »

Stretched Stretch sounds like you read my mind. I was playing with my new SS Stretch, so impressive, perfect. I would buy some with a longer blade as well.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Stretch and PM2 are my big folders. Have handled the police, military, endura, and chief but haven't gone with any of these longer/bigger folders. I'll have to wait and see if a stretched Stretch would get me there. I think a basic version to kick-off would be best, but would give it a small twist for interest and to set it apart from other big folder offerings ... FRN and S35VN would probably do it.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:32 am
Stretch and PM2 are my big folders. Have handled the police, military, endura, and chief but haven't gone with any of these longer/bigger folders. I'll have to wait and see if a stretched Stretch would get me there. I think a basic version to kick-off would be best, but would give it a small twist for interest and to set it apart from other big folder offerings ... FRN and S35VN would probably do it.

CG
A basic version just to test out the reception of a Stretch XL will not be in FRN cause the molds would be to expensive to make for just a "test" I think.
Though I'd really like to see FRN and S35VN, don't get me wrong!
But then, if it came in Micarta which Sal mentioned as a possibility, I would not complain either... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If Sal thinks it will sell, the by all means Spyderco should make it.

That said, I'd be more interested in a Stretch 2, either straight spine or regular, with an extra 1/4" of blade than an even larger version of the Stretch. Either would be legal to carry where I live but I'm fairly certain that a version with a 4" blade would not be able to fit in the bottom of my back pocket since the Police and Calypso don't. Still, I'd buy one for the collection.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I really like the size and the ergonomics of the current stretch. I’m not saying I wouldn’t buy an XL, I probably would but I’d definitely want to handle it first to see how it felt in hand and in pocket. Given that I like the ergonomics of the Millie better than the PM2, I imagine I would be happy with a Stretch XL. I assume we are talking about the straight spined version with this? Personally I would have no interest in an XL with the standard drop point blade but would give a straight spined XL a shot.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:58 am
I assume we are talking about the straight spined version with this? Personally I would have no interest in an XL with the standard drop point blade but would give a straight spined XL a shot.
Yes, we are talking about straight spine version.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Well Sal I think you have your answer :)

I for one have no problem with VG-10 especially if this will help from a production stand point.

Agree with others that if produced in Cruwear will be an instant sell out.

Clearly this will not be a golden model. I am curious however about the molds having to be changed to produce this in FRN.

If I am not mistaken it appears the Stretch 2 handle also used in the straight spine stretch has sufficient room does it not?

Either way is good with me the ZDP-189 Stretch 2 in G-10 is a solid piece and feels great in the hand as well.
sal

Post by sal »

I believe the G-10 P4 was K390.

Hard to make a Slab model with exotic steel in Japan that is not expensive?

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:07 am
If Sal thinks it will sell, the by all means Spyderco should make it.

That said, I'd be more interested in a Stretch 2, either straight spine or regular, with an extra 1/4" of blade than an even larger version of the Stretch. Either would be legal to carry where I live but I'm fairly certain that a version with a 4" blade would not be able to fit in the bottom of my back pocket since the Police and Calypso don't. Still, I'd buy one for the collection.
I'd probably buy one for the collection as well, but to be honest i am not very keen on 4" or over knives.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

A digression here...

C100, should it ever eventuate, should be named "Giri"...

Just my opinion...
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Linen or canvas micarta would make buy. As far as steel, I'd like to see something other than vg10. I don't know if this is realistic or even possible, but HAP5R from Hitachi looks pretty amazing. Similar to Cruwear or 3v.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:40 pm

I believe the G-10 P4 was K390.

Hard to make a Slab model with exotic steel in Japan that is not expensive?

sal

Valid point, but a $200 G10 VG-10 slab model would have people balking at a $200 VG-10 knife. We saw how much demand there was for a $210 Cru-carta knife. If you could bring in a Cru-carta model for under $250 I am fairly certain the demand would be many multiples of a $200 black G10 VG-10 model. Especially something like this with a very PM2-esque blade shape. And especially since there are zero Cruwear production models, zero Micarta production models, etc.

If if Micarta is not possibly, Cruwear in an earth tone G10 would be miles ahead of a black VG-10 model.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I hope that in Christmas 2020 there will be Stretch XL in my pocket :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:06 am
I hope that in Christmas 2020 there will be Stretch XL in my pocket :D
That´s be great... but again, I think the handle of the current Stretch 2 (regular and straight spine) is "XL enough" and perfect for almost any, even the largest hand size.
THAT handle with a blade as long as it could be when filling all of the handle when closed plus the shorter choil of the SS Stretch would be perfect for me personally already... (remark: The SS Stretch 2 indeed has a shorter choil in the blade portion than the "regular" Stretch 2, and by that more actual cutting edge!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:14 am
That´s be great... but again, I think the handle of the current Stretch 2 (regular and straight spine) is "XL enough" and perfect for almost any, even the largest hand size.
THAT handle with a blade as long as it could be when filling all of the handle when closed plus the shorter choil of the SS Stretch would be perfect for me personally already... (remark: The SS Stretch 2 indeed has a shorter choil in the blade portion than the "regular" Stretch 2, and by that more actual cutting edge!)
Hmm, yeah, I remember photos of Stretch that there is still some space left in the handle....we have to wait what Sal bring to the market, but I am sure it will be a good knife. Maybe he is going to mod the handle just a bit, who knows.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

The only thing that could possibly make the current handle better is a bit of a Palm swell to fill the hand better.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:13 am
The only thing that could possibly make the current handle better is a bit of a Palm swell to fill the hand better.
What if it was thicker and contoured like the frn D’Allara was. That is something I would like to see more of.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:33 am
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:13 am
What if it was thicker and contoured like the frn D’Allara was. That is something I would like to see more of.

D'Allara 2 best folder handle ever.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

You know, the Stretch was the first Spyderco I ever owned and is to this day one of my favorite knives.

A few years passed, and I thought the PM2 was the best knife imaginable. But lately, I've found the Para 3 in my pocket more than the PM2.

I'd like to propose a Straight Spine Stretch with a 3" blade. I'd carry it every day!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Uhhh yeah??? No!