Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Post by vivi »

Prices going up again?

Hmm, maybe I will make one more order this year.
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:54 pm
Prices going up again?

^ That's what I was thinking too. I just got a nice Christmas bonus and I'd still like to pick up a Sage 5 LW and Ikuchi. I'll probably be better off buying them sooner rather than later
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:43 pm
Vivi wrote:
Prices going up again?

^ That's what I was thinking too. I just got a nice Christmas bonus and I'd still like to pick up a Sage 5 LW and Ikuchi. I'll probably be better off buying them sooner rather than later
If it helps make your decision any easier, I believe the Sage 5 LW is already priced based on the new 30% MAP.
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:52 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:43 pm
Vivi wrote:
Prices going up again?

If it helps make your decision any easier, I believe the Sage 5 LW is already priced based on the new 30% MAP.
Good point! Besides, I'm kind of hoping for a variation of the base version. I guess I'll hold off for now.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I better buy my respect now before it jumps in price. Wish I had purchased the darn daos when they first came out.
archangel

Post by archangel »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:25 am
I better buy my respect now before it jumps in price. Wish I had purchased the darn daos when they first came out.

You're into the really small knives, huh? :eek:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

VashHash wrote:
BHQ has a Opus/Respect combo right now. ;) Go!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:31 am
VashHash wrote:
BHQ has a Opus/Respect combo right now. ;) Go!!!
I bought the bargain bin model. It has a stain on the spyderco pouch but it was $60 cheaper. Still got a free morakniv basic 511 too.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

From bladeforums 2020 price change thread:
Sal Glesser, post: 19428757, member: 105187 wrote: We haven't sold to Amazon for the past year. Yes, it does hurt us, but we couldn't get them to work with us and we don't think it fair for them to be our only dealer.

We've tried a number of things over the years to try to have an honest, fair and proper distribution, but I will admit it's challenging. Especially when one wants to look at business long term. We are always open to suggestions, but we prefer big picture suggestions rather than "just give me the cheapest price".
sal
Interesting they don't sell to Amazon anymore. I like it.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:30 pm
Sal Glesser, post: 19428757, member: 105187 wrote: We haven't sold to Amazon for the past year. Yes, it does hurt us, but we couldn't get them to work with us and we don't think it fair for them to be our only dealer.

We've tried a number of things over the years to try to have an honest, fair and proper distribution, but I will admit it's challenging. Especially when one wants to look at business long term. We are always open to suggestions, but we prefer big picture suggestions rather than "just give me the cheapest price".
sal
Absolutely. Amazon's business practices don't sit well with me, I'd rather see reputable dealers, both large and small, getting the profits from Spyderco sales.

This was yet another example of what integrity looks like.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Albatross wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:14 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:30 pm

sal
Absolutely. Amazon's business practices don't sit well with me, I'd rather see reputable dealers, both large and small, getting the profits from Spyderco sales.

This was yet another example of what integrity looks like.
This makes me like Spyderco even more.

I don't do business with Amazon. I won't go into the details, but often times I feel alone in this decision. Nice to not feel that way for a change!
:unicorn
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

From what are you carrying thread...
sal wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:20 pm
Thursday was a Lil' Pattada prototype. Friday was a Shawn Houston prototype. Yesterday was a Kaila Cumming prototype. ;) :p

sal
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:08 pm
I will say that Eric is planning a few more Mule Teams with some new steels.

sal
From slipit as a mule thread
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

We're in the process of making tooling for a Pacific Salt 2. It will be made with the same pattern as the Endura 4 (I know some people don't like the handle pattern but most do ). It will be made the same as the Salt 2 with no liners, just a internal FRN frame.

We will be using H1 in both plain edge and serrated edge. I know some don't like the edge retention of PE H1, but some do, including me because it gets very sharp. It just need to be sharpened more often, which I for one am willing to do. Easy peasy with a Sharp-maker. We have also worked with our Seki maker to use LC and I have an LC Pacific Salt PE that I've been using for 6 months and it's also very nice and hard enough. We do have plans for the future, as you might expect? There are also more things in-the-works that I cannot mention at this time. Thanx for your interest.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wonderful news. The Endura handle is very comfortable for me with a slight mod so this is good news. The LC200N sounds interesting too as I just can’t love the Native 5.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SG89

Post by SG89 »

On BF concerning Gayle Bradley folder-
Sal Glesser, post: 19465861, member: 105187 wrote:Gayle has been working on a 3.0" blade folder design.

sal
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:08 am
Sal Glesser, post: 19465861, member: 105187 wrote:Gayle has been working on a 3.0" blade folder design.

sal
And that was in response to someone asking about whether the Gayle Bradley 2 will ever be in stock again. Seems like that was Sal's way of saying "no".
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:31 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:

sal
And that was in response to someone asking about whether the Gayle Bradley 2 will ever be in stock again. Seems like that was Sal's way of saying "no".
I hope that's not the case. I have no idea how well they sell/sold though, so maybe they're going the way of the Dodo..
Looking forward to new Bradley/s, still sad to see the old ones go.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:31 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:

sal
I hope not. I've been waiting for the SFO to get these back in stock for months. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been readily available since before the disco list came out. I don't know why it wasn't on the list of they weren't planning on making more. I guess all plans can change, but that's disappointing.

On the bright side, a 3" Bradley folder, possibly/probably in m4? Sign me up! Hoping it doesn't have CF laminate; I'd rather have plain g10 for the same price or pay more for real CF.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I hope I'm wrong, but I believe the Gayle Bradley 2 was "shadow discontinued." It didn't appear in the annual discontinued list, but was discontinued sometime during the year without a formal announcement.
-Nick :bug-red