Sage 5.2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ugaarguy

Sage 5.2

Post by ugaarguy »

So, the first Sage 5 was a comp lock with CF/G10 laminate (Sage 5.0). The second Sage 5 is the fairly new FRN lightweight (Sage 5.1). I think the next Sage 5 should be a titanium handled integral compression lock. Calling it Sage 5.2 would be a nod to the earlier Sage 2 Ti handled Reeve Integral Long (frame lock). While Spyderco is at it, why not throw in a Vanax blade and make it a Salt series knife like the SpydieChef?
abbazaba

Re: Sage 5.2

Post by abbazaba »

Though this idea may be a looong shot, I fully endorse it and comend it. Thank you sir. :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sounds pricey but I don't think I could pass it up
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I'm likely done with the Sage until an interesting backlock comes along. Good luck!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
JMM

Post by JMM »

I'm w/CG, having owned every model ever made, I still have the Sage3 G10, Sage3 CF, Sage5 CF, Sage5 LW, but I think unless they come out with a new lock (or bring back the bolt-lock) or something really interesting, I'm pretty well done with this platform... (not to besmirch it in any way) ... wow, I haven't had the opportunity to use 'besmirch' in a sentence in a very long time. ;-b
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ugaarguy,

I'm not opposed to an integral Compression Lock. We've made a few prototype as well as a production piece. We also have a few locks that we've not yet built. Our Taichung guy is pretty busy these days, so everything takes longer to get into motion. I don't think we'll do much with Vanax at this time. It's very expensive, plus the extra taxes and it's seems to be difficult t get.

sal
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I'm more interested in seeing an integral comp lock on a small run like a Sprint than on a full production line for a new model; the Sage is maybe the perfect case. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to operate this lock on a bigger handle, but the Sage has more room than most its size.

Obviously Taichung is busy preparing all sorts of other wonderful treats for us. Sal has his priorities straight, I'm sure we'll see something when it's ready.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Integral comp’ lock would be nice. Button comp’ lock would get my attention too.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Tims wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:48 pm
Integral comp’ lock would be nice. Button comp’ lock would get my attention too.
I would prefer the button compression lock, with a titanium button(for the user to add cool anodized options), but an integral compression would be good too.
sal

Post by sal »

You would prefer a Button Compression Lock on Sage? To an integral?

sal
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Sal, thank you for once again taking the time to reply to me and engage with all of us here. That's unfortunate to know about Vanax: It's a steel I've been lusting after, and hoping that Spyderco would bring to the mass market like y'all have with so many other interesting steels. I'm very glad that an integral comp lock is at least a consideration. I'd buy a Ti integral comp lock in just about stainless steel you made it in, but something premium to compliment the Ti lock / handles would be a real treat. LC200N instead of Vanax would still do the trick though, I think.

Tims, Albatross, I see the appeal of the button comp lock. However, the simplicity of the lock being integral to the Ti handles really appeals to me. Combining all the best attributes of a comp lock and a frame lock (and in the Sage ergos that seem made for my hand) is my dream knife. The ruggedness of not having liners to rust or have gunk get trapped in is another appeal, whether I need that or not.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:13 pm

sal
Absolutely. For me, a compression lock leaves very little grip on the knife when closing, whereas the location of the button allows for a more secure grip. I have xl/xxl hands and feel like I have to be very delicate and deliberate when closing a compression lock knife. Any other lock type seems more natural(to me), which might put me in the smallest of minorities, but I have dropped a few compression lock knives(mostly the Para 3) when closing them. I've tried multiple finger/hand positions and closing techniques, but haven't found a method that works well for me.

A button lock allows the user to disengage the lock with a thumb, if they so choose, and gives a more secure grip. I prefer the caged ball bearing lock on the Manix, over a compression lock, for that very reason.

It's not all bad, the lock offers fantastic action and a secure lockup. I don't hate it, but I also don't feel comfortable using it regularly, so I'll take it in an interesting model, but truly want something different.

I would also prefer a RIL for it's simplicity and the similarities it has to a liner lock, which is one of my favorite types(again in the minority).
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

sal wrote:

sal
Definitely. That would be awesome.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:

sal
I'd definitely prefer an integral. If the market won't support it, that's frustrating. I doubt I could afford it, and I don't know if you'd even do it, but who do I contact to inquire about pricing to license the design to have a custom knife maker build me 1 or 2 examples of an integral comp lock Sage for my personal use?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ugaarguy,

There are a number of custom knife-makers that are licenses to use our trademarked round hole, but the Compression llock is very difficult t make and an integral is even harder. Let me think about this a bit.

sal
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Before you go to sleep, let me plant this seed in your head: left handed, left handed, left handed.

Sage 5, Vanax, compression lock, left handed... that would indeed be a holy grail combination of features.
Tims

Post by Tims »

I would take a framelock over a linerlock every day of the week but maybe not in the case of the comp’ lock. The position of the lock bar means it’s just not as functional to disengage.

I would prefer the button lock. Apologies if I’ve stepped on your toes with my suggestion Uraaguy.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Tims wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:14 am
I would take a framelock over a linerlock every day of the week but maybe not in the case of the comp’ lock. The position of the lock bar means it’s just not as functional to disengage.

I would prefer the button lock. Apologies if I’ve stepped on your toes with my suggestion Uraaguy.
No apologies needed. If most people want something different, Spyderco needs to make that thing that's more likely to sell more knives.
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

Albatross wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:40 pm
sal wrote:

sal
Absolutely. For me, a compression lock leaves very little grip on the knife when closing, whereas the location of the button allows for a more secure grip. I have xl/xxl hands and feel like I have to be very delicate and deliberate when closing a compression lock knife. Any other lock type seems more natural(to me), which might put me in the smallest of minorities, but I have dropped a few compression lock knives(mostly the Para 3) when closing them.
I want to second everything Albatross said, and just add that the problem he identified is exacerbated even more for me as a lefty especially, making the button compression lock even more of a revelation. The compression lock already has very limited grip for lefties (because your thumb has to both disengage the lock and keep a hold of the knife at the same time). This is made far worse in the recent crop of compression knives that are "narrow" in the pocket (i.e., from the bottom of the handles to the spine).

Normally I seek out knives that are more compact in this dimension, but I've had to sell my Kapara and Hanan--both of which were almost perfect for me otherwise--solely because I couldn't safely close them without dropping them. The problem is bad enough that I'm seeking out modders to make some substantial mods to my sliverax to improve grip (widening the lock access, adding checkering to the lock, etc).

The button completely ameliorates this issue, allowing a firm grip on the knife while disengaging the lock. Therefore, I will always prefer a button compression lock over all others whenever I can get it. While we're wishing, if Spyderco could somehow redesign all compression lock knives to use a button, I would jump for joy.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

sal wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:47 pm
Hi Ugaarguy,

I'm not opposed to an integral Compression Lock. We've made a few prototype as well as a production piece. We also have a few locks that we've not yet built. Our Taichung guy is pretty busy these days, so everything takes longer to get into motion. I don't think we'll do much with Vanax at this time. It's very expensive, plus the extra taxes and it's seems to be difficult t get.

sal
I have been dreaming of that Ti Integral Compression Caribbean idea you were kicking around. Any chance?

I would love to see contoured Ti with the same grip pattern the original has, milled into it. Everything else is perfect, the size, the steel l, the salt, EVERYTHING!

Personally, I would pay $500+ for a production piece, if that's what it needs to cost. More through other channels, hehe.

I prefer the compression to the button for simplicity's sake.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson