Could this be a counterfeit of an original I am not aware of?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Wartstein

Could this be a counterfeit of an original I am not aware of?

Post by Wartstein »

I´ve had this titanium frame lock flipper (see pic below) for quite a while now, and for the money (roughly around 25 € / USD as far as I remember) it is really more than ok. Even the steel seems to be the advertised D2 as far as I can tell (I have / had other D2 knives to compare it to).

Concerning size: It has an Endura length, about 3.75 blade.

Now I won´t say where I got it and which brand it is, for should this turn out to be a fake, I don´t want to bang the drum for that knife / company by any means.

But lately I´ve been wondering if this maybe is a copy of some "original" I am not aware of (I am not into titanium and/or flippers generally, and when it comes to quaility folders for a long time now only interested in Spyderco, so I just have a rough overview of the general knife market) - just because it is so well designed, but really cheap.

Perhaps not a total fake, but what Ganzo does with Spyderco and Byrd designs?!

So: Looking at the pic below: Is anyone aware of a knife like or very similar to this made by a reputable quality knife company?!

In that case I would not want to have it anymore.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Re: Could this be a counterfeit of an original I am not aware of?

Post by Larry_Mott »

I don't know. It looks very "androgynous"/generic to me. Not immediately recognizable as a well known model to me.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I'll refrain from naming the manufacturer and model, but their name begins with an 'E' (although they OEM supply other brand names so it might say something else on the blade). Most of their "D2" knifes are actually made of 8Cr13MoV (tested and proven), and they bang out Strider clones by the thousands.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Accutron wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:25 am
I'll refrain from naming the manufacturer and model, but their name begins with an 'E' (although they OEM supply other brand names so it might say something else on the blade). Most of their "D2" knifes are actually made of 8Cr13MoV (tested and proven), and they bang out Strider clones by the thousands.

Thanks!

May I ask: You're absolutely sure?
And this IS a clone of a Strider original?

The manufacturer stamped on the blade begins with an "F", so not "E", but you mentioned already that this could be.

If it is a clone indeed, that would be tough. I like the knife, but I HATE clone manufacturers, so I'd probably have to throw it in the bin... :(
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I don't know if *your* knife is specifically a clone, but the same manufacturer is quite well known for cloning the Strider SNG.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:34 am

And this IS a clone of a Strider original?
Looks fairly generic to me and definitely not a clone of anything Strider.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Accutron wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:40 am
I don't know if *your* knife is specifically a clone, but the same manufacturer is quite well known for cloning the Strider SNG.
I'll pm you a bit later if I may, so I can tell you where I got the knife and who the manufacturer is, ok?

Even if "my" knife is not specifically a clone, I of course would still not want to have one coming from a manufacturer who generally (also) makes clones.
I'd just be angry and sad that I already bought it and by that supportet a, well, thief.