The pronunciation of "Bowie"

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: The pronunciation of "Bowie"

Post by Doc Dan »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:40 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:05 am
What you all are missing here is that this is not a name in England. It is the name from Louisiana with heavy French, Indian, and Creole, influences on the pronunciation. Boowee is how it has been pronounced for generations. This is not unknown. It is well known. David Bohwee is not Jim Boowee and the knife is pronounced that way in the South, too...unless a pronunciation is brought in from the outside.
The only issues I see with your premise is that the Bowie family hailed from Kentucky...Jim Bowie was born there in Logan County in the late 1700's. They migrated to Louisiana later on. The Bowie surname is of Scottish origins meaning "fair haired", not French. And pronunciation is, like almost every word, regional. Ultimately, neither pronunciation is incorrect.
I understand, but LA is where the pronunciation came from I’m sure. In AL, MS, LA, and TX it’s boowee. The Bowie River in S. MS is the boowee river. I’ve heard bohwee but then I know that person is from up north somewhere.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:05 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:27 pm
It's a tomato/tomato thing. In KY you know who's local and who's not by how they say Louisville.
How do the locals say it? With the "S" sound?

It's the same way with a town close to where I live: Versailles, Missouri. It's pronounced how it looks in English.
Lots of French place names but not so much French pronunciation. :)

Re the topic, I grew up pronouncing it boh-ee. Boo-ee sounds very strange to my ears. ;)
David can correct me if needed, but...
"Loovil" or "Luval" not sure how to best spell out those phonics. :D

Non-locals usually say "Looey ville"
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bow-ee in Australia

A buoy is a “boy” here also......
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Meat man wrote:
Evil D wrote:
It's a tomato/tomato thing. In KY you know who's local and who's not by how they say Louisville.

It's the same way with a town close to where I live: Versailles, Missouri. It's pronounced how it looks in English.

Re the topic, I grew up pronouncing it boh-ee. Boo-ee sounds very strange to my ears. ;)
Ver-sails not veyr-sigh?

Locally we have Lewes - lewis (where Thomas Paine lived and worked for a while), then there’s loads like Derby - darby, Worcester - wooster, Warwick - wahrick , Gloucester - gloster - all apparently designed to catch out the American visitor.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Meat man wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Most say "Loo-a-vull" so when people say "Loo-ee-vill" or even worse "Loo-is-vill" you know they're not local.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:55 am
The Meat man wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Ver-sails not veyr-sigh?

Locally we have Lewes - lewis (where Thomas Paine lived and worked for a while), then there’s loads like Derby - darby, Worcester - wooster, Warwick - wahrick , Gloucester - gloster - all apparently designed to catch out the American visitor.
Yep Ver-sails is correct.

Yeah you British take it to a whole new level. :p :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:51 am
The Meat man wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Most say "Loo-a-vull" so when people say "Loo-ee-vill" or even worse "Loo-is-vill" you know they're not local.
Ah interesting. Thanks!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've heard both pronunciations, but had always pronounced it Bo-wee. Just like I've always heard David Bowie's name pronounced Bo-wee.

Jim
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:54 am
Bow-ee as in bough/bow of a tree?

That's how I've always said it. How is bow pronounced as "boo"? :confused:
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:16 am
ChrisinHove wrote:

Really it is a regional pronunciation. In Alabama the surname Jordan is pronounced jerdan.

As for Bowie being boowee, there is an alternate spelling of Bouie as the area was heavily influenced by the French.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ChrisinHove wrote:
I never knew! Boo-ee... I’ll need to get used to that.

Bow-ee as in bow and arrow?

I’ve heard them both for the late, great musician.

I've heard the knife and its original owner's name prounouced Boo-ee and Bow-ee as in bow arrow or beau, but can't recall ever hearing it pronounced Bow-ee as in bough or "take a bow".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

During the latter stage of his life, Bowie was a Mexican citizen, married to Bexar’s governor’s daughter, Ursula. Then, in 1836 he died as a Tejano revolutionary. How did he and his contemporaries pronounce Bowie? We don’t really know. My father and sister were born in Bowie, Texas and I lived there for some years. Fair or say that no one who is native to Texas or grew up there says Bow-ie.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:09 pm
During the latter stage of his life, Bowie was a Mexican citizen, married to Bexar’s governor’s daughter, Ursula. Then, in 1836 he died as a Tejano revolutionary. How did he and his contemporaries pronounce Bowie? We don’t really know. My father and sister were born in Bowie, Texas and I lived there for some years. Fair or say that no one who is native to Texas or grew up there says Bow-ie.
Yep. If they say that they is furiners.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Jazz wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

Have you seen Swamp People? Do you know what the accents of our friends in the bayou sounds like. Take everything you know about phonics and throw it out the window. ;)

Regional language is strange. I grew up in Massachusetts and we have more phonetically bizarre town names of any place I know of.
Leominster= Lemon-stir
Worchester= Woo-stir
Some folks in New England can pronounce their “R”s and some cannot so those could also be Lemon-stah or Woo-stah.
The list goes on...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theody ... usetts.amp

Also tons of whacky Native American names. Like Lake Chaubunagungamaug. also known as Lake Char­gogg­a­gogg­man­chaugg­a­gogg­chau­bun­a­gung­a­maugg. Say what!?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... sachusetts
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:09 pm

I am from Texas originally and we always said Boo-ee….

As in Bowie, Texas...
James Y

Post by James Y »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:02 am
Jazz wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

Have you seen Swamp People? Do you know what the accents of our friends in the bayou sounds like. Take everything you know about phonics and throw it out the window. ;)

Regional language is strange. I grew up in Massachusetts and we have more phonetically bizarre town names of any place I know of.
Leominster= Lemon-stir
Worchester= Woo-stir
Some folks in New England can pronounce their “R”s and one cannot so those could also be Lemon-stah or Woo-stah.
The list goes on...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theody ... usetts.amp

Also tons of whacky Native American names. Like Lake Chaubunagungamaug. also known as Lake Char­gogg­a­gogg­man­chaugg­a­gogg­chau­bun­a­gung­a­maugg. Say what!?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... sachusetts
I’m going OT a bit, but the original name for Bangkok, Thailand, is the longest place name in the world:

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharet Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit.

:)

Jim
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bing Crosby pronounces it Boo-wie.

https://youtu.be/n9kfdEyV3RQ

Thats’s Good enough for me!

Happy Christmas!
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

Thanks to Jim Bowie's role in the famous Sandbar Fight of 1827, Bowie knives became wildly popular, especially in the Old South. Today, most people I know from that region are adamant that it's pronounced "boo-ee." Because so much time has passed, this does not provide positive proof of original pronunciation. However, it leads me to guess that it probably is how the Bowie family pronounced their name. If I were a gambling man, my money would be on "boo-ee."

As popular as the Bowie knife was, I'd be interested to know if it is listed in old dictionaries from that era. Perhaps someone has access to a large university library with a good selection of old reference books. A dictionary entry from the mid-1800s would definitely add an interesting data point to the discussion.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I always said and heard boweee. Bow as in bow and arrow. Eee as in e.

Booeee, or even boowee sounds just like buoy to me.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."