Surprise from my wife!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Surprise from my wife!

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I just want to start this off with how this came to be.

A couple weeks ago when BBturbo received his Lil Matriarach from BBS and was posting about it and how much he liked it, I was intrigued by the design. Thinking how that S curve could be really beneficial to me working in a warehouse. I posted something about it, asking questions. Pat must have seen my post about it and sent me a message saying he was willing to lend his to me to try it out! A very generous offer indeed, but I turned it down as I didn't want to take the chance of scratching up or damaging his knife. I was telling my wife how cool this forum is and about that opportunity I had.

Then comes yesterday. I get home from work and the store after buying ingredients to make her dinner tonight, some flowers and a card. Today is actually her birthday. She then says "I actually have something for you" Being all goofey with a small box in her hand. I said "can't this wait a few more days for Christmas!?" She's TERRIBLE at holding off when it comes to gifts haha. She says it can't wait, so ok I'll open it. I see that familiar red/black box and start thinking "shoot, I know I haven't pointed out any knives to her lately and there's nothing I really want that's out there at the moment" I check the label and it says "Matriarch"

At this point I'm thinking, wow...she actually listened to the name of that knife I was talking about a couple weeks ago and found it on BBS! I slide the box open and see the black frn. I know that model was obviously supposed to be blue. I've never followed the Matriarch line and wasn't even aware of the Matriarch, thinking maybe it was discontinued. So I slowly open it with my thumb and WOW...out comes this massive, intimidating, crazy looking SE hawkbill!!

This is the part I like the most, which really makes this knife special to me. She tells me she knows it's not exactly the knife I was talking about, because she remembers seeing the Lil Matriarch with the PE. She knows I only have a couple SE knives and thought she'd take the chance on another one because she knows I like SE as well. So she did some Googling about the knife, found a lot of reviews, watched some videos...even read some posts about it from this very forum! She went out of her way to dig deep into it, to find something that's different from all my other knives, but similar to one I was talking about. The thought behind this makes this knife VERY special to me. I'm a very lucky man!

I'm thinking, well obviously this won't be something I'll carry regularly. Though I am today and will definitely put it to use at work, and will be a great outdoor knife when doing yard work. I'll always remember those couple minutes of feeling nervous, then shocked and in awe of how crazy this knife is, then to hearing her story behind it and how much I appreciate her doing this for me and towards my hobby!

Resized_20191218_194054.jpeg
Resized_20191218_194747.jpeg

Here it is with a PM2 that I'm carrying today for size reference, if anybody was ever wondering about the Matriarch
Resized_20191219_091650.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Re: Surprise from my wife!

Post by Wartstein »

Thanks for sharing and yes, you ARE a very lucky man indeed... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Congrats on the awesome wife!!! :D

Don’t give up on that BBS Lil Matriarch. I love mine. The tip is less exaggerated than on the full size Matriarch. It is an awesome gardening knife for me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Congrats, that's really awesome. Really cool looking knife for sure. Do you have the para2 and 3 in burnt/Rex45??
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

That's wonderful Rick! :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:29 am
Congrats, that's really awesome. Really cool looking knife for sure. Do you have the para2 and 3 in burnt/Rex45??
I do. Last year when the Para 3 first dropped I had one, then ended up selling it when I was thinning out my Para 3 collection. I ended up regretting it because Rex45 just disappeared after that. A couple weeks ago NationalKnives suddenly had them in stock and I grabbed one. Then last Sunday while watching football and stat tracking my fantasy football matchups I figured to check their site again, as they suddenly have had some tough to find sprints popping up the past few weeks and there was a PM2. I will likely sell the Para 3 though.

-Rick
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Does she have any single sisters? Haha, I can't even imagine having a woman in my life who tolerates my knife "habit" AND listens to me when I talk about it! Hang on to her Rick! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wow! That’s love shining through.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:16 am
Does she have any single sisters? Haha, I can't even imagine having a woman in my life who tolerates my knife "habit" AND listens to me when I talk about it! Hang on to her Rick! :)
You are shopping for women in the wrong part of the world. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Nice!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:23 am
DSH007 wrote:
She's hit or miss with the knives, sometimes she likes watching me sharpen or seems interested. Other times "can you get your face out of the tablet and watch this with me" haha. The listening part really got me, THAT I was very surprised with. Knowing it wasn't the same knife, but similar.

Hahahaha, Good one Doc!!! :D

-Rick
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:33 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:23 am
DSH007 wrote:
She's hit or miss with the knives, sometimes she likes watching me sharpen or seems interested. Other times "can you get your face out of the tablet and watch this with me" haha. The listening part really got me, THAT I was very surprised with. Knowing it wasn't the same knife, but similar.

Hahahaha, Good one Doc!!! :D
Hahah, maybe so Doc! ;)

I guess it swings both ways though with that whole listening thing though.. I would tend to zone right out when the topic of conversation turns to shoes or the bachelor/ette, or some other such nonsense she's interested in haha..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
James Y

Post by James Y »

Awesome gift, and Merry Early Christmas! Your wife really put a lot of thought into your gift!

Still looking to find Ms. Right myself, but when I do, it’d be cool to have one who shares, or at least accepts, my interest for bladed things, too. Not a total requirement, but that would be icing on the cake.:)

Jim
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

You have a keeper for sure.
I mean the wife....ehm the knife...ehm...both.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I know it's very cliche, but so true... She's the best part of my every day!! Especially sticking with me during my rough patch a couple years ago. I told her she's a big hit on the forum today haha. Asked me if she did good, told her it's been a resounding YES :)

20191128_195939_119297280754732.jpg

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I just finished trying out this Matriarch at work for the day. I had some mixed results. Glided through plastic strapping and various kinds of tape with no problem. Kept getting snagged on bubble wrap and packing materials though. That tip is crazy aggressive, and makes holding the knife very ergonomic when cutting across the top of something since you can leave your wrist in a natural position and just pull. I think since the teeth are so new and pointed instead of rounded a bit from use, that must be part of the snagging problem. On top of the tip just easily digging into whatever you're cutting. I was really hopping for parts to come in with some rope or twine as I imagine that's where it would truly shine, but no such luck today. A very unique design...stinks it's winter here in NY now and I won't get to test it in landscaping work for another 6 months!

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:52 am
I just want to start this off with how this came to be.

A couple weeks ago when BBturbo received his Lil Matriarach from BBS and was posting about it and how much he liked it, I was intrigued by the design. Thinking how that S curve could be really beneficial to me working in a warehouse. I posted something about it, asking questions. Pat must have seen my post about it and sent me a message saying he was willing to lend his to me to try it out! A very generous offer indeed, but I turned it down as I didn't want to take the chance of scratching up or damaging his knife. I was telling my wife how cool this forum is and about that opportunity I had.

Then comes yesterday. I get home from work and the store after buying ingredients to make her dinner tonight, some flowers and a card. Today is actually her birthday. She then says "I actually have something for you" Being all goofey with a small box in her hand. I said "can't this wait a few more days for Christmas!?" She's TERRIBLE at holding off when it comes to gifts haha. She says it can't wait, so ok I'll open it. I see that familiar red/black box and start thinking "shoot, I know I haven't pointed out any knives to her lately and there's nothing I really want that's out there at the moment" I check the label and it says "Matriarch"

At this point I'm thinking, wow...she actually listened to the name of that knife I was talking about a couple weeks ago and found it on BBS! I slide the box open and see the black frn. I know that model was obviously supposed to be blue. I've never followed the Matriarch line and wasn't even aware of the Matriarch, thinking maybe it was discontinued. So I slowly open it with my thumb and WOW...out comes this massive, intimidating, crazy looking SE hawkbill!!

This is the part I like the most, which really makes this knife special to me. She tells me she knows it's not exactly the knife I was talking about, because she remembers seeing the Lil Matriarch with the PE. She knows I only have a couple SE knives and thought she'd take the chance on another one because she knows I like SE as well. So she did some Googling about the knife, found a lot of reviews, watched some videos...even read some posts about it from this very forum! She went out of her way to dig deep into it, to find something that's different from all my other knives, but similar to one I was talking about. The thought behind this makes this knife VERY special to me. I'm a very lucky man!

I'm thinking, well obviously this won't be something I'll carry regularly. Though I am today and will definitely put it to use at work, and will be a great outdoor knife when doing yard work. I'll always remember those couple minutes of feeling nervous, then shocked and in awe of how crazy this knife is, then to hearing her story behind it and how much I appreciate her doing this for me and towards my hobby!

Resized_20191218_194054.jpeg
Resized_20191218_194747.jpeg

Here it is with a PM2 that I'm carrying today for size reference, if anybody was ever wondering about the Matriarch

Resized_20191219_091650.jpeg
Tell her the Forum says good job!
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

Smart and good looking! What a special lady.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sweet story, and very sweet wife! I'm glad you'll get to continue test driving this knife - if the spyderhawk never returns it seems like a good sub.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Nothing says I Love You like a SE Matriarch!

Good for you Rick! Sounds like your lady's a real keeper
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!