Straight Spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Post by Wartstein »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:37 pm
Does anyone know if this straight spine stretch is going to be a production piece? I’m not super fond of the white, but I’d buy one a few of these in a heartbeat if they were regular production.

ZDP and green?
K390 and any color at all?
VG10 ?

I’d love to see this become regular production.

I am afraid it will be...
Why "afraid"? Cause as cool the SS Stretch is (I have one), I still love the unique blade shape of the original Stretch and fear it will actually be replaced by the straight spine version. I hope both blade styles will stay, but am pretty sure that a straight spine version will sell a lot better...

Anyway, the good thing really is that the straight spine version finally seems to bring more people trying the Stretch and experiencing its "magic" :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Shoop

Post by Shoop »

You know that Sal is watching this thread, and the original Stretch blade is his baby, and one that I believe, while quite polarizing, has a following, I’m sure a fan. While the straight spine is cool, it is kind of boring, and nowhere near as interesting to look at as the original. Just carried my G-10 (ZDP) yesterday... I just love that knife.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I received my HAP40 Stretch 1 and it is every bit as incredible as I remember. JMO, but Sal can change the design to meet market changes and I think that I understand the reasoning, but he just can't improve his original design.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jdw wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:14 am
I received my HAP40 Stretch 1 and it is every bit as incredible as I remember. JMO, but Sal can change the design to meet market changes and I think that I understand the reasoning, but he just can't improve his original design.
Glad you got it! :)
They won´t be around forever I guess, and as we both said earlier in this thread: The combination of this design and the HAP 40 steel is probably as close to perfection as it gets.
Though I carry my VG 10 Stretch 1 more often, I love my HAP 40 one even more.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jdw,

The Stretch 1 was; 1) a bit too small for a large hand to hold the knife without using the finger choil, and 2) the finger choil was not deep enough to serve the function I wanted. Those two design features were, in my opinion, improved on the Stretch 2. It required new tooling, which was expensive, but I felt that the "2" version served the market better, was worth the cost ( to me ) and will permit the model to be around for a longer period of time.

The straight spine Stretch 2 served, in my opinion, a more general market for 1) appearance, which many hold as a high value, and 2) the sharper point which many have asked for. The original Stretch was focused more for the hunter as a blade for skinning, and the narrower blade of the "1" & "2" permitted more easily a change of direction while cutting something like cardboard.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Maybe a Stretch 1 sprint in Cruwear is in order?? Homage to the original in an upgraded steel.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:13 am
Hi Jdw,

The Stretch 1 was; 1) a bit too small for a large hand to hold the knife without using the finger choil, and 2) the finger choil was not deep enough to serve the function I wanted. Those two design features were, in my opinion, improved on the Stretch 2. It required new tooling, which was expensive, but I felt that the "2" version served the market better, was worth the cost ( to me ) and will permit the model to be around for a longer period of time.

The straight spine Stretch 2 served, in my opinion, a more general market for 1) appearance, which many hold as a high value, and 2) the sharper point which many have asked for. The original Stretch was focused more for the hunter as a blade for skinning, and the narrower blade of the "1" & "2" permitted more easily a change of direction while cutting something like cardboard.

sal

Imho it´s absolutely true that the ergos of the Stretch 2 are even better than the already great ones of the Stretch 1.
Just discovered that again with my Straight Spine Stretch. Now I definitely want both ("1" and "2") in my rotation... the "2" for the best ergos, the "1" for a lot of edge in a small package

Sal, as cool as the straight spine version is, I hope it will not replace the original "hunter" blade style, which I personally like even better.
jdw

Post by jdw »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:13 am
Hi Jdw,

sal

As always, that makes a lot of good sense. Thanks for the kind reply!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
dan31

Post by dan31 »

The stretch 1 HAP40 is in and it feels fantastic. Every time I looked at the pics it never grabbed me. Now that I can hold it in the hand it feels like it was made just for me. I have medium size hands. The blade has a nice thin grind. It is a wonderful design!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Got my straight spine stretch today. Still not sure what I think.
Josh
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

One should spend time with a knife before rendering judgement. Out of the box opinions are usual honeymoon responses. Don't forget to follow up once you've figured it out.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Josh, I'm with you. Mine arrived today too, and I'm not sure what to think. The similarities to the PM2 (albeit as a backlock) are compelling. I sold my previous Stretch 1 FRN. But this one is definitely interesting to me. So we'll see.

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:15 pm
Josh, I'm with you. Mine arrived today too, and I'm not sure what to think. The similarities to the PM2 (albeit as a backlock) are compelling. I sold my previous Stretch 1 FRN. But this one is definitely interesting to me. So we'll see.

I can tell you I like it a lot better then my Stretch 1. Feels a lot better in my hand now, with the subtle changes Sal made. It’s a fantastic knife and I love the design, I’m just still trying to figure out if I’ll finally get over the FRN and enjoy an FRN knife. It’s going to work with me for a while so I’ll let ya know what I think I’m a couple weeks.
Josh
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

murphjd25 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:38 pm
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
I can tell you I like it a lot better then my Stretch 1. Feels a lot better in my hand now, with the subtle changes Sal made. It’s a fantastic knife and I love the design, I’m just still trying to figure out if I’ll finally get over the FRN and enjoy an FRN knife. It’s going to work with me for a while so I’ll let ya know what I think I’m a couple weeks.
Curious to hear your user impressions after a couple weeks. FRN isn't my favorite handle material either, but I do have a couple FRN handled knives that are among my favorite knives anyhow (Native Salt and V Toku Stretch).
acer

Post by acer »

What a great photo, a brace of true Sal Spyderco’s . This one ant going to be a White Elephant. ⚔️
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:

My two favorite knives in one picture (ok, the Para 3 is growing on me though).

The remarkable similarity to the Stretch was actually my main motivation to pick up a PM2.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
benisben25

Post by benisben25 »

Just ordered mine off of KC for $50! Merry Christmas to me, can’t wait for it to arrive. :)
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

benisben25 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:39 pm
Just ordered mine off of KC for $50! Merry Christmas to me, can’t wait for it to arrive. :)
What where? 50 dollars? Post a link. I will buy 4.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Archimedes wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:46 pm
benisben25 wrote:
Probably used knife points or gift card lol still $94 on their site
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
benisben25

Post by benisben25 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:00 pm
Archimedes wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:46 pm
benisben25 wrote:
Probably used knife points or gift card lol still $94 on their site
Lol, correct.