Are there any serrated Snap-it Salt users out there ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Are there any serrated Snap-it Salt users out there ?

Post by elena86 »

Need some feedback on this one... I am tempted to purchase one ....don't ask me why :) Some pictures would be highly appreciated :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Evil D

Re: Are there any serrated Snap-it Salt users out there ?

Post by Evil D »

I like the idea but I hate the clip being up at the pivot. I understand it's safer than tip up where gravity might open the blade, but I'd be willing to snug the pivot down to help prevent that, or maybe even add some kind of safety? Or just make it a back lock with a very strong close bias.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I actually have alot of miles on a plain edge snapit salt. If having a knife clipped to you or your gear is important than go for it.

My personal opinion is if its just going to come out and make a quick cut like line or a package or whatever then its fine. If you have alot of cutting to do then its not that great.

I hate the handle, at least compared to other spydercos. It just doesnt work with my hands, I dont like my pinky resting on the end part of the handle that has a different angle. The kick/ricasso is weird shaped, and while you can easily get your forefinger on it, it is not a choil and doesnt lock your finger in like a choil does. Basically I would avoid the temptation to put your finger there.

The kraton on one side started coming off after about a year and a half? or so of constant salt water carry. A little glue fixes that right up.

Love the blade shape. Love the clip. Tough knife. Thicker blade stock than a salt 2. Clip is more useful than most people would think.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I own two Snap-Its, both serrated, but neither Salt. I've owned them for...a while now. I think I bought them sometime in the mid 90s at REI. I believe mine are Gin-1.

I EDC'd one for a long time, but at this point they're pretty much dedicated to specific sets of gear, where being clipped in is useful.

If you want to attach one to your gear, go for it. It's a great knife for that, and I prefer it to the Remote Release. It's an interesting EDC, but I tend to prefer pocket clip for my EDC these days.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:48 am
I like the idea but I hate the clip being up at the pivot. I understand it's safer than tip up where gravity might open the blade . . .
From Spydiewiki:
"The prototype originally had the snap on the back end, opposite the pivot, but was switched when it was discovered that this forced the user to rotate the knife 180 degrees before opening it, which could present a problem in an emergency."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dsvirsky wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:30 pm
Evil D wrote:
I like the idea but I hate the clip being up at the pivot. I understand it's safer than tip up where gravity might open the blade . . .
From Spydiewiki:
"The prototype originally had the snap on the back end, opposite the pivot, but was switched when it was discovered that this forced the user to rotate the knife 180 degrees before opening it, which could present a problem in an emergency."

Right...I'd still rather it were that way. We rotate knives 180 degrees out of our pockets everyday if we carry tip up.

How about a removable clip/snap so the end user can decide?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Evil D wrote:
dsvirsky wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:30 pm
Evil D wrote:
From Spydiewiki:

Right...I'd still rather it were that way. We rotate knives 180 degrees out of our pockets everyday if we carry tip up.

How about a removable clip/snap so the end user can decide?
For me tip up pocket deployment is alot different than 180 degree indexing. And having deployed the snapit salt alot in the water and on the beach, I completely understand wanting to avoid regripping the knife and the placement of the snap clip.

I also wondered why they didnt have a pocket clip piece that could go in where the carabiner clip is. Since the carabiner clip is a seperate piece. I guess at that point though you should be getting a salt 2 or something. I think this knife just always is what it is. Because of its design it wont be great for alot of things, but it sure is great to clip onto gear.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
brj

Post by brj »

I use mine predominantly on hiking trips. Carrying method is via the left shoulder strap loop of my backpack, that way I can easily remove and open it with almost the same motion. It's light and compact, so not so much dangling on the loop as to become irritating. It's a Salt so it can remain exposed to the elements and the insert will make it still safe to use, even with cold or wet hands. Also, from the shoulder strap I can deploy it way faster than I could an in-pocket or iwb folder (or fix blade usually carried 6 o'clock/small of back style).

Apart from that, not so much. During summer it's hard to beat a Pacific Salt, for both carry convenience and deployment speed.

Don't have any pics handy, only this one which is a bit horrible as it distorts perspective and has poor lighting, but might still give you a rough comparison vs. other more familiar Salts.