Older box is better

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Older box is better

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t care at all about the boxes. :cool:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

The current box design is just fine. The older boxes (black red blue) didn't last well if opened and closed a few times. Sometimes our Border force can be a little rough and rip the box but they seem to be getting better.

More important the box size needs to fit the knife. The Subvert makes the box bulge a lot for example.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

The current box is still decent. It could be a plain brown generic box or even worse... a blister pack!!! I do agree that Spyderco could have some fun with the packaging as the product is collectible to so many.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I think my CX** came in solid black boxes, also the Baby Goddard unless i'm mistaken.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I really enjoy the current boxes. Nothing overdone, still elegant.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Maybe I'm weird, but I think I'm more of a fan of the hanging clam packs. I just loved the inserts that gave you an overview of the knife's construction and features.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I don't have any preference of box types. I don't know why I think this but I do. Typically when Spyderco does something or makes changes there will be a reason for it. It could be something not real noticeable that will help identify fakes . Or not. I don't know.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I had kept all of my boxes until this year. There were so many they filled a soft suitcase and a shelf in The closet. Something had to go, so out went most of the ones on the shelf. I’ll get around to the bag when I’m strong enough to lift it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

StuntZombie wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:48 am
Maybe I'm weird, but I think I'm more of a fan of the hanging clam packs. I just loved the inserts that gave you an overview of the knife's construction and features.
Hang packs increase freight costs for international dealers and of course display costs for retailers. As a collector, and user I prefer the current box type.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Mini2white wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:11 pm
StuntZombie wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:48 am
Hang packs increase freight costs for international dealers and of course display costs for retailers. As a collector, and user I prefer the current box type.
I don't doubt that. I mainly enjoyed the information as it was presented on the backs of the cards. It just has a bit more pop than the current pamphlets.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:06 am
I don’t care at all about the boxes.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Ha Ha Ha HA HA he he Ha HA haaaa!!!

Good one. Now I know what happened with my fine porcelain dishes!!! Think this is industry standard now....

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Hahahahahah ....I can't stop laffing at the guy hucking the packages at the conveyor belt.... hahaha
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Plus its all the hash I just smoked hahaha...legal in my state
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Yeah, why am I saving all these darn boxes? They are all in one big box, so I can just heave the whole thing in a dumpster one of these days.

Ha ha, the guy unloading the boxes. And that is him on a good day!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cowboy,

I'm with Darby, I don't care much about the boxes. My sales, purchasing and marketing staff, design, create and produce the boxes. They do evolve over time.

But I have to admit that some folks do care about the boxes so we try to do a good job with them. We aren't likely to reproduce the old boxes any more than we would make sprints exactly the same as earlier models.

sal
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

So a sprint run of boxes? :)
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

:o I can’t believe I’ve just read through a two page thread about the boxes.
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

Surprisingly no one is asking for a sprint box in cruwear with Micarta lining.
acer

Post by acer »

I Think it’s more of a collector thingy , if I was hunting down an old model for collection and one was like new in a box and the other not in a box without the Spyderco literature etc and around the same purchase price no guessing which one I would buy my user knives and cheaper knives beaters I don’t keep the boxes . I could be wrong but when you watch these old antique programs visit antique sales the box is very important. To getting the best price. So I think the box is important but which box style as long as original box that knife came in all’s good from a collecting point of view . Ps the box is there to protect the knife during transit. 👍 Horses for courses and all that , each to his own. 😁 still having fun over and in .