Kids Knife Kits

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Kids Knife Kit

Plastic GITD Delica 4 Kit
50%
Wooden Dragonfly Kit
50%

Total votes: 16

Dazen

Kids Knife Kits

Post by Dazen »

I want to get my youngest boy one of the kids knife kits that Spyderco offers as a stocking stuffer. But I’m having a hard time deciding between the two. What do y’all think, especially those who have handled either one?
Last edited by Dazen on Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
sal

Re: Kids Knife Kits

Post by sal »

how old is he and will you be helping him put it together?

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Voted wood since i can't remember ever liking glow in the dark stuff :)
(Tried to think like a child when choosing)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Kids like glow in the dark
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

sal wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:42 pm

sal
7, and more than likely.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The wooden dragonfly kits are very nice. Easy to assemble too. I'd recommend a dab of glue on the pins. Never messed with the GITD kits. You can also customize the wooden ones pretty easily.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dazen,

The plastic parts just go together, the wood kits need more care, but looks better when finished. At 7, he's close to being ready for a small slip joint, in my opinion. Maybe like a "Roadie".....+ the kit.

sal
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

sal wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:42 pm

sal
With my sons birth he got an engraved Dragonfly wood kit from me. My father in law accidentally broke the back lock. When I was at the Spyderco Meet in Amsterdam I told Joyce (from Spyderco) this story and she gave me a new kit! Talking service here! My son is 2 now and it is his favorite toy now. So go with the Dragonfly kit ;)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I gave my going-on-7 grandson the wooden Dragonfly and “supervised” his building of it. He showed me he was too young for the real thing. But he still toys with it almost two years later, so I reckon he’ll inherit my pile one day.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my kids like the glow in the dark delica kit. they each got swiss army knives for their first knives shortly after. imo, saks are perfect learning tools that they can grow into and never outgrow. no matter what knife you edc, a sak is a welcome addition to a backpack kit.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I got my nephew the wooden DF kit for Christmas! It will be his first "knife".. hopefully, the first of many!

He'll be two weeks old on Monday.. haha, got to start them young, right?
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I thought this was a thread about the Kris, haha.

So many Ks!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I picked up a pair of the gitd Delica kits for my boys this Xmas. They are 7&9. They both like things that glow. Although they both know knives aren’t toys, I suspect these will end up in the hands/paws? of “killer Elmo” (a strange game they play,lol!) So I think the plastic will hold up better than wood.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
madonspyers

Post by madonspyers »

I picked up the same kit, one for each of my kids, last year. They have loved it.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I didn't vote because I've never handled the delica kits for comparison, but I got a couple of the wooden dragonfly kits for my kids and I can give them a thumbs up.

The kids are 6 and 4 and both liked having a knife "like Daddy's". They each helped me to assemble. It's a good way to show how a back lock works and also for teaching good knife safety. The "blade" is constant thickness, so I used a red sharpie to paint the edge so the 4 year old knew which part not to touch. A fun toy, a quick craft (assembly) and a good teaching tool for responsible knife use all in one.
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

Looking forward to the time when I can get a kit for my grandson. He made 21 months this week. Good points brought out in this thread.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I've bought both as gifts, and while I personally like the Dragonfly kit, the kids seem to dig the Delica a bit more. It's a bit sturdier too. As mentioned above, the danger with the Dragonfly is that inevitably someone wil try to close it like a slipjoint and break part of the lockbar or backlock 'mechanism'.

It pleased me to see, while I was over at my brother's place the other day, my nephews were trying to use this to 'cut' the tabs on some Lego boxes:

I guess when we were kids and would draw an archetypal 'knife' it would look something like a Mk. 2 'K-Bar' or a Lile 'Rambo' knife.

It always makes me smile to see that the typical knife drawn by young kids in our extended family always has a Spyderhole, and usually looks something like a Delica!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Well, I really thought this poll would swing one way or another, but, I do appreciate all the feedback. I ended up getting one of each for us to build together, and I wanted to get free shipping so I picked a Proficient as well! :D
sal wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:03 pm
Hi Dazen,

The plastic parts just go together, the wood kits need more care, but looks better when finished. At 7, he's close to being ready for a small slip joint, in my opinion. Maybe like a "Roadie".....+ the kit.

sal
I’ve let him try my Roadie on numerous occasions but I think closing it is just a little to snappy for him to handle. He can actually open and close one of PM2’s easier. He’s already excited to be able to use all my Spydie’s when he gets a little bit older, including my sword (aka Province)!
Dane

sal

Post by sal »

Goodonya!

sal
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I got a wooden dragonfly kit for my nephew, since his parents were very uncomfortable with the idea of him having the real thing. When I pitched the idea, as a test for responsibility, they loved it. Before giving him the kit, I pulled him aside and explained that if he were responsible with the kit, he just might get his wish of owning a real knife.

A year later and he still has the kit. His parents seem pleased with how responsible he has been, so he's getting a multitool for Christmas, with a real blade and all. I tried to work a Spyderco Dragonfly or Delica in there, but I think his parents weren't ready for that kind of commitment. Maybe next year, after he has time with his multitool gift from his grandmother.