Spyderco: What makes the brand so good?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blueblur

Re: Spyderco: What makes the brand so good?

Post by blueblur »

For me, it’s the designs that fit my hand with a high quality and large variety of steel. Quality materials and a high level of fit and finish are also appreciated.

At the end of the day, the ease of opening and closing a pocket knife with one hand has kept me from purchasing folding knives from any other brand for many years.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Sal's ethics. I have never met the man. I bought my first Spyderco at an OU/UT game at the Texas State Fair. I have been a fan for life.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Of course others have said all this above, but they have a bewilderingly large product lineup (so there's something for everybody), they are big on design, they use more steels that any other maker I'm aware of, and perhaps most importantly, they all seem like thoroughly decent people, from the top down.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

jdw wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:34 pm
Sal's ethics. I have never met the man. I bought my first Spyderco at an OU/UT game at the Texas State Fair. I have been a fan for life.

Sal is a 1st rate class act. :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Mr Glesser! ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I'm going to say it starts with good design ... after that, it's a whole boatload of things that have to be done well.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I think it started with a talent for useful innovation, by people with a level of conscious culture practiced by few.

Partly because of this, Spyderco now has the willingness and resources to take risks, and continue to lead the way with new steels and designs.

Thank you Spyderco!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Smithclarkson,

Welcome to our forum.

I hope you find the information you are seeking from our family here.

I'll make it simple. You buy one of our basic knives ( Delica, Para, etc.) and if you don't 'like it, I'll buy it back from you.

sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:21 pm
Mr Glesser! ;)
+1
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:59 am
Company ran by honest and thoughtful people. A rarity.
Exactly! Those of us in the First Responder community definitely appreciate these folks!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I have heard it said that an institution is the lengthened shadow of a single man. It is true in my experience. Take the sum total of the replies in this thread and it gives an accurate description of why Spyderco is what it is.

Integrity, humility, and an abiding passion for excellence are the signature qualities of Spyderco.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:43 pm
I have heard it said that an institution is the lengthened shadow of a single man. It is true in my experience. Take the sum total of the replies in this thread and it gives an accurate description of why Spyderco is what it is.

Integrity, humility, and an abiding passion for excellence are the signature qualities of Spyderco.
Well said I agree 100%
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I could just repeat what was already said in this thread.

So let me add: When I got my first two or three Spydercos, I really knew nothing about the brand itself and its history, background,wether it was well known or not.
I even thought their knives looked a bit "odd" and not really like a "cool" knife should look like.
Then I got my first one,a Delica, held and used it and was totally convinced immidiately. It just was a bit too short in blade length for my taste, so I added an Endura and it was just perfect for me in real use. Much better than anything I had before.

It was only later that I began to learn about the philosophy and the background of Spyderco, and that just made me like the brand even more.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Knife for everyone ($50 to $500)
Steel for everyone (have been loads of them over the years)
Design for everyone (truck loads of them)
Size for everyone (from leprechauns to giants)

The Spyderco family more than the Spyderco company.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Sal and Gail and Eric have built a very nice business with all the right ideas. Somewhere deep down it becomes obvious though that Sal ( I don't know Gail and Eric as well) is as big a performance, edge, and steel knut as the best ( worst?) of us are. The beginnings of the company were sharpening and knives came later. Sal understood better than most knifemakers that at the bottom where the rubber meets the road the edge quality and performance is vital to making successful high performance knives. If you look at some of the strange looking knives Spyderco made over the years it becomes obvious Spyderco isn't following trends putting out CF one week then titanium the next chasing the market.

You won't find a company that has as many firsts on the market as Spyderco.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Function. Almost every Spyderco is a good cutting tool, with a good blade, and good ergos. There are exceptions, of course, usually collaborative pieces, but more than every other large brand, there's a very good chance that if it's by Spyderco, it's going to be a good tool for cutting things.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!