Older box is better

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cowboyfromhell

Older box is better

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

So I love the look of the old spyderco boxes, the black ones with the web and silver bug. Please bring these retro boxes back, Sal. Thank you......p.s. I'm still waiting for my spyderco COFFEE mug!
acer

Re: Older box is better

Post by acer »

BACK IN BLACK. Like the idea of sprint run older models in the old box style but I have nearly 100 folders in my collection in the newer red black and gold boxes and I don’t think my OCD 🤣 collection system will allow this but there again if there a Spyderco in the box who cares, Nearly Christmas just one more knife before the mail service stops👍⛄️
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I like the look of the older white ones with the blue graphics as well.
Including a little pamphlet on other models is something I'd definitely like to see return for the more popular models; It'd help newcomers to the hobby/brand get a glimpse of other models as well :)
(then again, we have YouTube and the internet nowadays)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Have you seen the boxes that come with the new Abel Reels Natives? Pretty dang cool - all matte black with kind of ghosted shiny black lettering.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’m just here for the spyderco coffee mug...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Darn. You could have had mine. But all my boxes get thrown in the trash. My knives and guns get used, so boxes are just clutter.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:37 am
Darn. You could have had mine. But all my boxes get thrown in the trash. My knives and guns get used, so boxes are just clutter.
I keep mine in storage for possible resale with the knife and because I just like keeping them (so I'd assume someone else would like them included).
But seeing how I own around 200 Spydies and have only ever sold/traded a couple, one could say it's pointless! :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It would be cool if sprint runs of older models came in their original style boxes, or if sprints and exclusives had their own special box.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Can't recall ever seeing a black box with a web on it.

The oldest Spyderco boxes, the all blue, all black, all red, and all white ones, were terrible. They were no better than the boxes Goobers, Raisinettes, and a number of other candies came in. The tray type boxes were a vast improvement, but I don't really see any quality difference between the original white ones, the intermediate grey ones, and the current red/black ones. As far as looks goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps I'm the odd man out here, it wouldn't be the first time, but I can't say I find any of them more, or less, attractive than any other. In fact, and perhaps ironically, the only cardboard Spyderco boxes I think look "classy" are the ones that the little Chinese slipjoints like the Bug come in.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
attila

Post by attila »

I have one dark gray webbed box from my 2007 purchase of a Delica. I don't have that Delica anymore, though.
Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:11 am
It would be cool if sprint runs of older models came in their original style boxes, or if sprints and exclusives had their own special box.
I like this idea.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:24 am
Can't recall ever seeing a black box with a web on it.

It's really more gray than black. With your extensive collection I'm sure you have loads of these.

~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:33 am
It's really more gray than black. With your extensive collection I'm sure you have loads of these.

Yep, I have loads and loads :o of those grey boxes. Just I can't recall ever hearing them called black.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
acer

Post by acer »

It all depends on the brightness setting of the back light on the computer screen😁👍
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:39 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:33 am

Yep, I have loads and loads :o of those grey boxes. Just I can't recall ever hearing them called black.

I have ONE :D

My SE Military I believe is from around 2009 or so. My Native LW came in this style box back in '05 but by the time I joined the forum in '10 I believe they had switched to the current red and black but I remember around that time the knife shop had both and I even remember some of the older white boxes with blue lettering. Now if I'm somewhere that sells knives and I spot those white boxes I get super excited lol.
~David
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Boxes! We're talking Boxes! :p

hehe I keep all my boxes too, but I've only been in this little over a year, so they are all the tray type. It's rare that I ever throw a box away for any purchase of something that I may have to return, usually keep it in the attic...it's like a graveyard up there.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I don’t care about the box as long as there is a Spyderco inside. I do take donations.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:06 am

hehe I keep all my boxes too, but I've only been in this little over a year, so they are all the tray type. It's rare that I ever throw a box away for any purchase of something that I may have to return, usually keep it in the attic...it's like a graveyard up there.

Oh brother do I know your pain. I keep boxes at least until the exchange/return period ends. I have all my knife boxes except for my first Spyderco and a couple of used one I got without them.
~David
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:10 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:06 am

Oh brother do I know your pain. I keep boxes at least until the exchange/return period ends. I have all my knife boxes except for my first Spyderco and a couple of used one I got without them.
We have a yearly attic box removal ritual but my Spydie boxes stay with my baseball card collection in a warm and dry closet. After seeing that picture of the older boxes I can see why you liked them so much!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I keep all my boxes but I swear there is some kind of thief gremlin or troll that steals the bags while I am asleep and returns them to Soyderco for reuse!

Have any of you noticed this how the plastic knife bag disappears?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:36 am
I keep all my boxes but I swear there is some kind of thief gremlin or troll that steals the bags while I am asleep and returns them to Soyderco for reuse!

Have any of you noticed this how the plastic knife bag disappears?

I've got all my bags too but I've got a few that didn't come with the Edge-U-Cation papers and that really bugs me.
~David