How many knives do you typically carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

32%
41%
19%
2%
4%
1%
No votes
No votes
No votes
10 or more
2%

Total votes: 127

vivi

Post by vivi »

The four pockets thread had some interesting replies. Thought I'd make a poll catering to the direction that discusion was going.

How many knives do you typically carry with you during the day?

Note, I'm asking knives not blades. So a dyad, leatherman wave or case stockman would each count as one.

My answer: 3 knives. I keep a Victorinox Classic on my keychain, carry a larger multitool of some sort, and either a one handed opening folder or a small fixed blade. Tonight, it's a Classic, Wave + and Manix XL DLC.
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Re: How many knives do you typically carry?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Usually 2 for me. One 3"-3.5" and something small like a Manbug, Cricket, McBee, or SAK Cadet. Occasionally I'll carry just a Dragonfly, Lil Native, or Urban
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Usually 2-3.

Leatherman plus Spyderco(s), or Victorinox.

I'm hesitant to count my Leatherman Wave because I use its blade exclusively for nasty, non-knife tasks like scraping and prying.

Right now I've got my Wave + Cru-Wear Delica.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:29 pm
Usually 2-3.

Leatherman plus Spyderco(s), or Victorinox.

I'm hesitant to count my Leatherman Wave because I use its blade exclusively for nasty, non-knife tasks like scraping and prying.

Right now I've got my Wave + Cru-Wear Delica.
That's what I do too. My FB or OH folder certainly gets used, but I try to keep it clean enough to use on food. I use the Leatherman to cut things I wouldn't want to come into contact with a food prep knife.
:unicorn
Monty

Post by Monty »

Left front pocket karambit, right side IWB whatever knife I'm currently rotating through, right front bottom of pocket a friendly little dragonfly or SAK.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I voted one, then remembered the Vic Classic on my keychain. I never use the blade on that, though, so I don't really count it. I carry it for the scissors and tweezers mostly. I also keep a Rescue and a multitool in the center console of my car and an LMF2 in my trunk, because I'm paranoid. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

1 spydie and 1 vic
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Typically carry one. I do have a leatherman wave and a gerber fixed blade in a backpack that rides in whatever vehicle I may be in, as well.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Sometimes I'll carry 1 folder in the right front and a Classic sd or Hiker in the watch pocket, but it's usually just the folder and no other blades.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Typically 2, but sometimes 3. Exclusively Spyderco too, I don't carry anything else.
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I would say about 90% of the time in my daily EDC regimen I carry two folders. I pretty much always have one full SE folder and one full PE folder.
Now I do rotate them periodically and go for folders with different edge types. There are some jobs that I go on where I know I'm going to be cutting a lot of rope>> then I'l take along one of my Combo Edge folders.

Unless I'm in an extremely restricted area like a courthouse or flying in an airplane then I go according to the restrictions.

There are times too when I'm hunting, fishing or taking a really long hike when I had a really nice fixed blade to my two main EDCs. I'm very tool oriented for the most part and very rarely do I leave home without cutting tools on me.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:59 pm
Typically 2, but sometimes 3. Exclusively Spyderco too, I don't carry anything else.
Yeah I'm like this good brother most of the time I'm also exclusively a Spyderco user all the way. It's very rare in the past two years for me to carry anything other than Spyderco.

Unless I go into the woods then I take some of my bigger Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri blades or a big bowie.
attila

Post by attila »

3 for me when I have keys on me, i.e. outside the house.

ZDP DF2 on the keys and two >3" blades are normal.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Just one almost all of the time unless I need a fixed blade then I also carry a folder too.
Last edited by Ankerson on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'm one of the crazies that said 10 or more. I don't have any real reason for it either, I just happen to pick up different blades around my house throughout the day and then clip them into my pocket without removing whatever was in there, or if I leave the house, I'll usually bring a bag of some sort with me and it's almost always got at least 10 knives in it. However, when I ride now, I make a concerted effort to only have one knife on me...and that habit is starting to spill over into my daily life.
--Jeremy
Tims

Post by Tims »

Just the one
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Most days just 1. I also have a Griffon pocket tool on my keyring along with a Leatherman Squirt.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

usually three, but sometimes four...

i have a vic rambler in my wallet (mostly for the toothpick); a yojimbo 2, xhp manix 2 lw, or pe native salt (for edc uses/sd); and a se pacific salt in my waistband (in case i need se and/or end up at the beach). at work, a se df2 salt replaces the pacific and a cold steel tuff lite replaces the yo2/m2lw due to rules grounded in fear and a hatred of freedom. at home, i usually just carry my native salt. right now, i’m carrying the vic, pac salt, yo2, and an esee zancudo just because. every once in a while, i rotate any number of these out for other knives. the only constants are vic rambler, the pacific salt outside of work, and the df2 salt at work.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Spyderco folder of the day plus a Victorinox director routinely. If working, I will also have a Leatherman tool and trauma shears. I keep a Swisskey on my keyring as well. Add a fixed blade if out in the field with the dogs.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

When not sleeping at night literally always a Spyderco (typically Endura, Stretch 1, Endela SE or Pac Salt SE).
When not at home most of the times a leatherman Micra or (more seldom) a LM Squirt on my keychain.
In my "work pack" or the fifth pocket a leatherman Juice S2 when working (more urban scenario)
In my pack when outdoors (which is on most days of a week) LM Rebar or LM Juice CS 4

Almost never use the actual knife blades on the LMs though
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)