Who else wants a SE Lil'Matriarch Salt in H1 ?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hobnob

Re: Who else wants a SE Lil'Matriarch Salt in H1 ?!

Post by Hobnob »

Put me down for at least one. Doesn't matter if it is H1, LC or VG10.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

H1 all the way for this one. The toughness of H1 is key if you’re going to use the li Matriarch for edc. I’d love to see it in both pe and se but the se is the one that would get the hard use on the kayak.

*Sal, do the new cats eye candy rods for the gauntlet fit the sharpmaker too? Those would be ideal for reprofiling the lil matriarch.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:44 am
H1 all the way for this one. The toughness of H1 is key if you’re going to use the li Matriarch for edc. I’d love to see it in both pe and se but the se is the one that would get the hard use on the kayak.

*Sal, do the new cats eye candy rods for the gauntlet fit the sharpmaker too? Those would be ideal for reprofiling the lil matriarch.
Respectfully, I disagree. I have found LC200N to be incredibly tough, plenty tough to handle edc as a Lil Matriarch(I'd even like to try it in FFG)

H1 is fine, but there is plenty of it on other models. Lets get some more pieces to play with in LC200N!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Rather have LC if this could be done in FFG. That would be enough to push me beyond my loathing of the Delica ergonomics.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I like lc200n too but it’s not what I would choose for this model. You’ll see far more broken tips if they go with lc200n. I’ll buy one in either but for serious use on a design like this I think h1 is a smarter choice. Just my 2 cents.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Yes please, but do something other than a yellow or black handle, toxic green?!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:05 am
I like lc200n too but it’s not what I would choose for this model. You’ll see far more broken tips if they go with lc200n. I’ll buy one in either but for serious use on a design like this I think h1 is a smarter choice. Just my 2 cents.
I just have a hard time agreeing with that. I've subjected LC200N to some pretty severe abuses, glancing it off metal, bouncing it against slump block, hitting nails/staples in drywall, etc(all unintentionally) and have yet to have any damage worse than a slightly rolled edge.

Either way, MOAR DODOBLADE!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
elena86

Post by elena86 »

H1 is tougher than LC200N no doubt. Lil'Matriarch blade shape in SPYDEREDGE benefits from hollow grind and H1. You LC plain edge lovers stop derailing my thread :)
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:15 am
H1 is tougher than LC200N no doubt. Lil'Matriarch blade shape in SPYDEREDGE benefits from hollow grind and H1. You LC plain edge lovers stop derailing my thread :)

Uh excuse me sir I am a LC/SE lover thank you very much ;)

H1 is no doubt tougher but I wonder if it matters here, the blade isn't exactly shaped well for stabbing things and if you're prying with a blade like this you deserve to have the tip break off. From what I've seen from LC and the torture I've put it through I think it would be just fine for this knife. I actually think it could be made more tough in FFG, if you look at how thin the tip is on a hawkbill it's thin because of the hollow grind getting thinner towards the edge. For example if you compare the Manix 2 hollow grind tip to the FFG tip the FFG is significantly thicker. It all comes down to whether or not the blade has distal taper or of it's left at full thickness through the end of the blade. This blade doesn't have a sharply pronounced hook so I don't think it HAS to be any more fragile on FFG than any other blade shape.
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

For all I know, a SE Lil'Matriarch in H1 might become the ultimate ripper, at least for me. For now, I am beating the crap out of my Tasman Salt2 and I tell you : it's a fierce cutting machine.A H1 blade has no match in spyderedge format .... I love it ! :spyder:

P.S I understand why LC gets so much traction, it's the new kid on the block AND it exhibits a few attributes we all expect and love in this kind of alloy, toughness is one of these attributes but you LC lovers have to accept, it's no match for H1 when we talk spyderedged blades...once you accept this reality you will feel liberated, I promisse you :D But you can allways enjoy your LC plain edges :p
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

prndltech

Post by prndltech »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:29 am
For all I know, a SE Lil'Matriarch in H1 might become the ultimate ripper, at least for me. For now, I am beating the crap out of my Tasman Salt2 and I tell you : it's a fierce cutting machine.A H1 blade has no match in spyderedge format .... I love it ! :spyder:
This is pretty much how I feel after carrying my tasman 2 for a month + straight.

I knew I liked SE H1 from the pacific salt but.... wow.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:

P.S I understand why LC gets so much traction, it's the new kid on the block AND it exhibits a few attributes we all expect and love in this kind of alloy, toughness is one of these attributes but you LC lovers have to accept, it's no match for H1 when we talk spyderedged blades...once you accept this reality you will feel liberated, I promisse you :D But you can allways enjoy your LC plain edges :p

I dunno man, I did everything short of deliberately bending the blade and saw no more edge damage on LC than I've seen on H1. I also think LC sharpens easier. I can't really say much about long term edge retention since I keep them sharp but I do think H1 loses peak sharpness faster than LC. Again these are both SE edges I'm dealing with. There is no doubt a point where H1 is more tough but I've beat this Caribbean harder than I typically use my knives and it didn't suffer any real damage so that high level toughness is in a realm that doesn't really matter in reasonable use.

Also I remember a thread years ago when the Rock Salt came out, someone here tried to chop a coconut open and it rippled the heck out of the blade. It would be nice if we had a comparable knife in LC to see how it handled that. I've seen the pics of the Pacific blade that's bent almost 90 degrees but if that softness/ductility also means an edge that'll bend when pushed hard then I think I'd rather deal with some minor chipping than a rippled edge.

Found that thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41745
Last edited by Evil D on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I accidentally broke the very tip off of my first Tasman Salt, and it happened surprisingly easily. I was (perhaps negligently) doing some cutting over a glass tabletop and slipped (very slightly), and the tip lightly hit the tabletop and chipped right off. With such fine, narrow tips, I personally can’t see how H1 would be significantly different from LC200N. Tips that narrow and fine in any steel are going to be delicate and vulnerable to chipping or breaking.

Jim
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:21 am
elena86 wrote:

I dunno man, I did everything short of deliberately bending the blade and saw no more edge damage on LC than I've seen on H1. I also think LC sharpens easier. I can't really say much about long term edge retention since I keep them sharp but I do think H1 loses peak sharpness faster than LC. Again these are both SE edges I'm dealing with. There is no doubt a point where H1 is more tough but I've beat this Caribbean harder than I typically use my knives and it didn't suffer any real damage so that high level toughness is in a realm that doesn't really matter in reasonable use.

Also I remember a thread years ago when the Rock Salt came out, someone here tried to chop a coconut open and it rippled the heck out of the blade. It would be nice if we had a comparable knife in LC to see how it handled that. I've seen the pics of the Pacific blade that's bent almost 90 degrees but if that softness/ductility also means an edge that'll bend when pushed hard then I think I'd rather deal with some minor chipping than a rippled edge.

Found that thread
This! I've done some incredibly stupid things with my Caribbean and it has laughed at EVERYTHING. H1 gets it's toughness from being relatively soft, that softness affects it's performance in other areas. I haven't found a single negative attribute with LC200N in my use.

I'll put my money down now, in the real world, LC200N will outperform H1 every day of the week. H1 isn't bad, but overall, LC200N is better in both PE and SE. Place your bets!

Also, I could care less about whether or not it is new. I care about performance in my hands above all else. My H1 Pac Salt was sold and my LC200N Caribbean was kept.

Also also, I have been dreaming of an FFG LC200N Rock Salt!

-Thomas Jefferson
James Y

Post by James Y »

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:51 pm
Hi Jim,

We probably wouldn't make both H1 and LC.

sal
Thanks, Sal!

If I had a choice between the two, I’d personally choose LC, especially in FFG. But I wouldn’t cry if it ended up in hollow-ground H1. :)

Jim
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:35 am
Evil D wrote:
elena86 wrote:

Found that thread
This! I've done some incredibly stupid things with my Caribbean and it has laughed at EVERYTHING. H1 gets it's toughness from being relatively soft, that softness affects it's performance in other areas. I haven't found a single negative attribute with LC200N in my use.

I'll put my money down now, in the real world, LC200N will outperform H1 every day of the week. H1 isn't bad, but overall, LC200N is better in both PE and SE. Place your bets!

Also, I could care less about whether or not it is new. I care about performance in my hands above all else. My H1 Pac Salt was sold and my LC200N Caribbean was kept.

Also also, I have been dreaming of an FFG LC200N Rock Salt!

Cool your jets man. Most people's experiences including mine contradict yours so ... it's your and a few others experience against ours and I'm talking just the SE configuration to be very clear. I hope you don't pretend you have more in depth real life experience with both H1 and LC200N than Lance Clinton, to give just a name. To say that "H1 gets it's toughness from being relatively soft" makes me doubt you understand why and how this unique alloy performs the way it performs. Enough said.
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Its almost like we have heard actual numbers concerning the hrc of serrated h1 at the edge, and those numbers outperform the other options. And we know h1 has differential hardening. And we have had pictures of salts bent to 90 degrees showing its tougher. And we know the corrosion resistance is second to none. And so far has been the cheaper option of the two.

Only downside is no flat grind. Nothings perfect.

I like h1 for serrated salts.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'm not trying to fight about this, just giving my argument for LC200N. :D

In my use, H1 took FAR more damage, far quicker than LC200N.

With H1, edge damage was fairly common. It does hold a mean edge cutting rope and cardboard, but I don't cut those items much. My cutting tasks are often very rough and potentially damaging to the edge.

With LC200N, I touch it on the Sharpmaker every week or two and it doesn't skip a beat. I have had two slightly rolled spots on the edge in a span of 16 months or so. Both were fixed in seconds, despite being caused by heavy strikes against metal and block.

-Thomas Jefferson
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Evil D wrote:
elena86 wrote:

Found that thread
Yup... that was me. I'm not crazy about H1 in plain edge, but I would have to go with H1 in SE on a Lil' Matriach. I will also say that toughness is important. I haven't done any heavy use with my VG-10 Lil' Matriach, but somehow a little chip is missing from the tip.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

captnvegtble wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:43 pm

Yup... that was me. I'm not crazy about H1 in plain edge, but I would have to go with H1 in SE on a Lil' Matriach. I will also say that toughness is important. I haven't done any heavy use with my VG-10 Lil' Matriach, but somehow a little chip is missing from the tip.

I also get that chopping a coconut is a whole different world than a folder will probably ever see. I wonder if you could baton a H1 folder through a fresh coconut without damaging the edge?
~David