BladeHQ M4 Jade Dodo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: BladeHQ M4 Jade Dodo

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:13 pm
Do we KNOW there were only 400 or are we speculating because it sold out so fast? I'm pretty sure I remember runs that were definitely ~1200 that sold out just as fast.
400 is the only number I have seen and based on how quick they went roughly 5 minutes flat..... I tend to believe what was written here.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Got my shipping notification! :D
-Nick :bug-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:29 pm
Nope Capacity is in there, sorry for the eyestrain :)

To be fair, I didnt read through all of it. ;) Lol. I'll take some time and reread it!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doeswhateveraspidercan

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:17 pm
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:29 pm
Nope Capacity is in there, sorry for the eyestrain :)

To be fair, I didnt read through all of it. ;) Lol. I'll take some time and reread it!
Can’t say I blame you. In a nutshell I am trying to reconcile how things are working without inside data.

I respect Sal like crazy, really want my Spyderco Brothers and Sisters to get what they want.

Feel bad when I somehow get what they can’t and even worse when they suffer for it.

Does it make sense?

No not really not the level of mind.

On the level of heart however...

But it is how I feel about the brand and those who follow even as I do.

Truthfully, honestly buying Spyderco is a luxury, any knife will cut. Truth!

But we are a bit down the rabbit hole are we not?

How then can we not care for those similarly afflicted? Shall I not call you brother and her sister and smile at our foolishness? :) knowing we both understand.

Wants are indeed many, needs are few, once needs are met ahhhh the door to wants.. which is the true Spyderxo market is it not?

We want, we want, we chase the ergonomics, the thinness behind the edge, the perfection of shape and utility.

Well there are worse things for those of us who have achieved the needed things in life....

We all know Delica in VG-10 can accomplish most needed things :)

But hey go to knifeworks.com without delay and get your S90V with Blue inlays today!!!

Fighting like ****, reckon come tomorrow going to loose :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Whatever,

All things in moderation.

We do make some interesting products that are here today and gone tomorrow.

Few can have them all.

I know that can be a PITA, but it's the only way we can continue to offer the creativity.

Needs first, always!

"wants" is always a matter of choice.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:31 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:13 pm
Do we KNOW there were only 400 or are we speculating because it sold out so fast? I'm pretty sure I remember runs that were definitely ~1200 that sold out just as fast.
400 is the only number I have seen and based on how quick they went roughly 5 minutes flat..... I tend to believe what was written here.

It just feels like people are pulling numbers out of thin air. Have we heard one reliable source to back it up? Every time something sells out fast there's an uproar about how fast it sells out and how few there was. It seems like a lot of angry speculation to me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I could've sworn BHQ stated that there were 600 of them.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

It doesn’t mater how many there were, if your website doesn’t work.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Doeswhateveraspidercan

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:51 pm
Hey Whatever,

Few can have them all.

I know that can be a PITA, but it's the only way we can continue to offer the creativity.

Needs first, always!

sal
Hey Sal thanks for replying, well if that’s the only way I officially surrender my *****ing badge. :eek: :D

As for websites not working it may not be such an easy thing for them to increase resources for short demand periods.

If you really want a definitive answer as to why they were crawling then ask them or take a look at their registrar and their hosting and see if they even offer such things.

One other person also mentioned it may have been seen as a DOS denial of service attack with so many hits at once. That is pretty impossible to deal with in any other manner than throttling and blocking based on IP metrics and I am certain the filters were going nuts with all the traffic.

Below is the public info.

WHOIS search:

Domain Name: BLADEHQ.COM
Registry Domain ID: 105768583_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.domain.com
Registrar URL: http://www.domain.com
Updated Date: 2019-10-14T12:33:14Z
Creation Date: 2003-10-29T05:01:55Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2020-10-29T04:01:55Z
Registrar: Domain.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 886
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: compliance@domain-inc.net
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: 602-226-2389
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Name Server: NS.LIQUIDWEB.COM
Name Server: NS1.LIQUIDWEB.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: https://www.icann.org/wicf/
>>> Last update of whois database: 2019-12-11T15:32:02Z <<<
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:38 am
sal wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:51 pm
Hey Whatever,

Few can have them all.

Needs first, always!

sal

One other person also mentioned it may have been seen as a DOS denial of service attack with so many hits at once. That is pretty impossible to deal with in any other manner than throttling and blocking based on IP metrics and I am certain the filters were going nuts with all the traffic.

I am guessing BOTS are being used more and more these days in the knife world. It was only a matter of time.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wonder if knives sell out faster when they're a dealer exclusive vs when they're a sprint that's shipping out to dozens of dealers? I bet since it's only available from one place it's easier for everyone to focus on buying them out. Then again the Shaman went like a fart in the wind so..
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:48 am
Did you get one?

Sure did, it's in transit now. I didn't think this through very good though, since sales aren't allowed on the forum I'm not sure how to find an owner for it. I'm not looking to make a profit on it, just selling it at cost to a forum member so I can sleep at night knowing that at least one of them went to someone who really wanted it and not to a flipper.

(I'm ignoring the fact that someone may well flip the one they get from me lol)
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Evil D wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:03 pm
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:48 am
Did you get one?

Sure did, it's in transit now. I didn't think this through very good though, since sales aren't allowed on the forum I'm not sure how to find an owner for it. I'm not looking to make a profit on it, just selling it at cost to a forum member so I can sleep at night knowing that at least one of them went to someone who really wanted it and not to a flipper.

(I'm ignoring the fact that someone may well flip the one they get from me lol)
That is really great of you to do. Lol in a way you are flipping off the flippers. By golly I like that!!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:45 am
I am guessing BOTS are being used more and more these days in the knife world. It was only a matter of time.
Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a verified membership to these dealers? Keep the bots out of these sales. Maybe members can buy a few hours early. They do this for concerts and such.
Edit: maybe the “rewards” program could get you early access to a sale instead of just cash rewards. I might use some points to “buy” early access.

It won’t happen as long as the product moves. Maybe the current sales model for getting these in our hands is maybe not working.
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Picked mine up yesterday. This ball bearing lock is not working well with my fingers. I didn't think I had fat fingers, but maybe I do.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

SpyderSeth wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Picked mine up yesterday. This ball bearing lock is not working well with my fingers. I didn't think I had fat fingers, but maybe I do.
??? What is going on that the ball bearing lock is not working well is the spring stiff or your fingers are getting pinched?
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:23 pm
??? What is going on that the ball bearing lock is not working well is the spring stiff or your fingers are getting pinched?
This is my first knife with this lock so I have nothing to compare it to. But, the spring does seem stiff and it sticks when first applying backwards pressure. My fingers want to slide off the ball bearing when trying to disengage it.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

SpyderSeth wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:37 pm
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:23 pm
This is my first knife with this lock so I have nothing to compare it to. But, the spring does seem stiff and it sticks when first applying backwards pressure. My fingers want to slide off the ball bearing when trying to disengage it.
In my experience, the ball lock starts off pretty stiff and loosens up pretty quick. It just needs to break in. Even after break in, I find this to be a two hand lock. Others can do this with one hand but I got fat fingers. Sometimes I get my thumb nail on top of the ball to disengage.
chrisjohn

Post by chrisjohn »

Sold out in 7 minutes. Little much.
Tims

Post by Tims »

M4 put me off this run, much as I’m hanging out for a Dodo.

Condolences to those who missed out. The hype around this exclusive surely speaks to the popularity of the model. Sal, please hook us up with more!