Z-Cut cuts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Z-Cut cuts

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:17 pm
Thanx Doc,

As the designer, I felt best to be quiet, lest I be impeached?

sal.
You are welcome. Thanks for the great knife. This is what I wanted in the previous paring knife. This is just right.

The other paring knife is a great small utility knife and gets used a good bit.

My grand parents had some kitchen knives, but when real cutting needed doing my grandfather would say, “Bring me the Case knife.” It was the best that could be had in those days. It got passed down and had been used so much it was worn out with no blade left. Now, in our home, we say, “Pass me the Spyderco” because it is better than more expensive knives (both of them).

BTW, so far, I really like BD1N a lot.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mb1

Post by mb1 »

@Sal, if they impeach you...I ...I quit! ;)

Merry Christmas to you and yours. This is basically a gift giving thread. :)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
olywa

Post by olywa »

I too am loving BD1N. Gotta get me a couple of Z-Cuts for the kitchen.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I like my zcut, edge bevel was very uneven and wasn't very sharp out of the box. Blade stock is so thin, it was kind of tough to sharpen on the KME but.. after getting through the unevenness enough to make an edge, it's been really nice, super thin and slicey now. WIsh it would have been out of box but for $20 I can't really complain. I would get more in the future
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mine came very sharp. I did not need to touch it up, which is what I expect from Spyderco.

Another thing I like is the different handle colors. That keeps knives being used for one food from contaminating another food. This is more important than people realize.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Ho ho ho.

- Mark

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

mb1 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:05 am
Ho ho ho.

Nice. You are missing the yellow. Still time before Christmas. :D

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:46 pm
mb1 wrote:
Ho ho ho.

Don’t do yeller...‘cept for H1. ;)

These are flexible blades. That doesn’t bother me. I’d like to see Lance filet a fish with one. That flex would work there, even if the sweep/length isn’t optimized for fish work.

I’m only keeping the PE for us, and it came shaving sharp. I’m impressed with how nicely your thumb or index finger fits in the curve of the blade drop. Cool knives! :spyder:
- Mark

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

mb1 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:34 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:46 pm
mb1 wrote:
Ho ho ho.

Don’t do yeller...‘cept for H1. ;)

These are flexible blades. That doesn’t bother me. I’d like to see Lance filet a fish with one. That flex would work there, even if the sweep/length isn’t optimized for fish work.

I’m only keeping the PE for us, and it came shaving sharp. I’m impressed with how nicely your thumb or index finger fits in the curve of the blade drop. Cool knives! :spyder:
Yeah, I’m about to buy a couple more. The flexing blade is exactly what I want in a paring knife like this...thin, sharp, flex.

Since I have green, I’ll get yellow and red.

These should be perfect for a fillet knife for pan fish...bass, crappie, bream, etc.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Just picked up a blunt tip plain edge one to fulfill free shipping requirements at gpknives.

The offset makes it weird for actual paring knife tasks for me, but seems to be best at being a counter top misc. tasks knife. Nice thin blade, but I do agree the grind is a tad thick. Grabbed it mainly to play with CTS bd1n.

Not sure I would buy another (kinda short, a 6" would be nice, but I guess I could just get a Spyderco utility kitchen knife), but a fun concept.

Guys with SE kitchen knives, what cutting boards do you use? Seems like they'd eat up a nice block.

What's the advantage for the blunt tip?
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Bought one in PE and SE and the wife loves both. So that passes the test here.
FK

Post by FK »

Glad this thread is renewed,, I have a plain edge,, reminds me to order a SE soon
I have used and enjoyed Spyderco kitchen knives in BD-1 for many years.

Never understood why so many like the folders in kitchen/cooking situations, too difficult to clean the gunk out of lock areas.

Regards,
FK
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I've had a PE & SE for a year or so, I bought them so that my ex-girlfriend didn't ruin my actual kitchen knives...she preferred "not too sharp" knives and threw them straight into the sink covered in gunk and then mindlessly into the dishwasher. :eye-roll

The Z-Cuts worked out great in that situation. They are nice little kitchen utility knives, but when I'm paring I prefer to use a paring knife and when on the cutting board either reach for a Chef's knife or petty. I guess I haven't found my perfect use for the Z-Cuts yet, they make great camp/cookout knives (although no blade covers are included)...

If you are using folders or camping knives in the kitchen then the Z-cuts are definitely an upgrade, otherwise they are good little kitchen utility knives, but tend to end up in the kitchen gadget drawer rather than with my actual kitchen cutlery.

P.S. The factory grind on the PE was extremely obtuse for how thin the blade stock is.
So it goes.
FK

Post by FK »

I purchased several inexpensive wooden knife blocks,,,, all of my Spyderco kitchen knives reside in their own block. The specialty Japanese knives are in two additional blocks, they rarely get board time.

Regards,
FK
kobold

Post by kobold »

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

We still use the heck out of our Z-Cuts. I don't have a plain edge, but I have had no issues sharpening the serrated edges on the Sharpmaker. They get screaming sharp. I even use them to cut through a pork roast to slice it up. That thin, uber sharp blade glides through the meat. I do prefer my Spyderco K05 for that task, but when I reach in a pull out a ZC I don't hesitate. I use them to cut fruit and vegetables all the time. Great little kitchen do it all knife.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
d00mtr33

Post by d00mtr33 »

I'm loving mine. For the price it's a steal imo. Love how lightweight and thin it is. It's great for cutting up fruit and veggies and cam even do some filet work. BD1N is performing great, once it starts to full a few swipes on a Venev 400 stone and it's back to shaving sharp.
Great job Spyderco.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

This thread inspired me. I ordered two Z-Cuts last night, PE and SE. The knuckle clearance is a real feature on a paring-sized kitchen knife.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Fantastic knives!

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

My SE Z cuts are my most frequently used spydercos

I keep a black SE in my knife roll at work, and a green SE does most the food prep at home.
:unicorn