Shawn - Thanx much

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Shawn - Thanx much

Post by sal »

Hi Shawn,

Finally had an opportunity to work with that CBN stone. Very nice. I appreciate your getting that to me. Wish you a great holiday season.

sal
Deadboxhero

Re: Shawn - Thanx much

Post by Deadboxhero »

Thanks Sal, I sold you the first 1k grit vitrified CBN stone. All sold shorty after.

Phil and Chad got the 600 grit prototypes that had a much harder bonding for fierce cutting speed that rivals the coarsest diamond plates.

I felt the coarser, harder bond was nice for makers and professionals, but I wanted something that had more refinement and could be a stand alone edge. I was looking for a balance of aggression and polish that would synergize high vanadium/niobium carbide and nitride steels at extreme hardness.

So, I went a different direction with this stone and wanted more emphasis on having a pleasant feel and feedback with light touch for re apexing and crisping up edges and a nice bite at the the edge without overpolishing yet not too coarse for some push cutting effect. A "Goldy locks" zone. So it's not a true hogger stone but more of a apexing stone. Everthing has trade offs.

I felt in my experience and testing this seemed to really acentuate high carbide volume steels.

I like that it can sharpen steels like Rex121 at 71rc and 32% Carbide volume like 420HC on a king 1k stone.

In the future, when the sharpening technologies catch up there will be no limit to the possibilities for steel edge performance.

So, these stones are keys to all the doors of the possibilities that could not be opened before.

Could not be happier to see that stone go to the man that has been at the Pinnacle of sharing all these wonderful steels with the world and getting the impossible into full production.

Thank you Sal.
sal wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:56 pm
Hi Shawn,

Finally had an opportunity to work with that CBN stone. Very nice. I appreciate your getting that to me. Wish you a great holiday season.

sal
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Well, put me on the list!

How much and when?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:14 pm

How much and when?
TBA. I'm sold out currently.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Good on ya Sal & Shawn!
Can't wait to get one ;)
sal

Post by sal »

It's a fine piece.

Hey Shawn, Do you personally prefer CBN to Diamond?

sal
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:19 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:14 pm

How much and when?
TBA. I'm sold out currently.
Are you making a list :)
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

You really need a website Shawn, put me on a list to contact when you have some to sell.

Thank you.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:33 pm
You really need a website Shawn, put me on a list to contact when you have some to sell.

Thank you.

https://www.triplebhandmade.com/
;)
-Turbo
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Any plans to make anything workable along with guided systems? I'm still on training wheels when it comes to sharpening :p

Great looking stuff Shawn!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:51 pm
It's a fine piece.

Hey Shawn, Do you personally prefer CBN to Diamond?

sal
Yes, but seems to be difficult to pin point since there are dozens of different grades of both diamond and CBN with different geometry; cutting facets and various levels of cutting aggression, friability and grain toughness.

So how do we know we are comparing diamond to CBN and not grades at opposite ends of the spectrum and selecting the grade that fits the role better?

I have been surprised at the differences between them and thats not including the bond type, hardness, etc.

Seemingly endless combinations.

I felt CBN was superior in that it seemed to posses all the abrasive firepower needed (4500-5000hv) without chewing up the steel (matrix 600-1000hv, MC type 2800-3000hv) as much and was more compatible with the bonding I like. I felt it was higher quality and left a better surface roughness for the given grit and bond compared to the diamond grades I had access to. A huge problem with CBN is the cost. It is significantly more expensive than the diamond but I'm not interested in watering down the product if I feel something has more performance.

There are plenty of cheaper alternatives for folks but very very few exotic, high end options for folks that are more advanced and discerning that want the cutting speed and feedback at high levels realitive to surface roughness.
So cost be damned, CBN it shall be.

I have played with some other folks bonded stones that use diamond and have been satisfied with those stones as well for what they are. So it's seems difficult to see vast differences between CBN and Diamond especially since it's very difficult to rule out differences that aren't just the bonding let alone all the various grades of diamond and CBN which I feel are more important.

So perhaps I can only speak from the design of my stone rather than a blanket statement in general.

It seems to be like the steel in the knife in that it's the sum of all parts rather than a single component alone.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Shawn,

I would suggest beginning with small quantities of 3 grits (including the 1K). Sell them as you can and grow slowly. Take pre-orders if you can. Your customers will also tell you their findings as I'm pretty sure they all be Edge junky's. From their input, you can adjust grits if necessary. I don't think you will get rich on these, but they will help supplement your work and provide a very nice product to those that can appreciate them.

I've got a 3 x 8 CBN plated steel "stone" in-the-works and we'll be making a CBN "Duckfoot" to go with the Golden Stone, but they're still a ways off. They'll both be pretty coarse 400 mesh and 600 mesh on the stone ( 2 sides ) and the Duckfoot will be coarse ( 400 ).

I should have an in-house proto of your knife next week.

Congrats on the new website. https://www.triplebhandmade.com/

sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Thanks Sal, I appreciate your advice and where it comes from.

As a connoisseur of stones, I'll definitely be purchasing one of your 8x3" CBN plates to play with. Never know when you might need that particular surface roughness to express the edge and steel a certain way and it will be interesting to compare to the diamond plates I'm used to.

Very much looking forward to getting some 15v in the pocket.

I'd love to see it in an email :D

Thanks, it's nice to have a website finally.

Hope to see you Friday at the Eugene Oregon Show 2020.

-Shawn

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:21 pm
Hi Shawn,

I would suggest beginning with small quantities of 3 grits (including the 1K). Sell them as you can and grow slowly. Take pre-orders if you can. Your customers will also tell you their findings as I'm pretty sure they all be Edge junky's. From their input, you can adjust grits if necessary. I don't think you will get rich on these, but they will help supplement your work and provide a very nice product to those that can appreciate them.

I've got a 3 x 8 CBN plated steel "stone" in-the-works and we'll be making a CBN "Duckfoot" to go with the Golden Stone, but they're still a ways off. They'll both be pretty coarse 400 mesh and 600 mesh on the stone ( 2 sides ) and the Duckfoot will be coarse ( 400 ).

I should have an in-house proto of your knife next week.

Congrats on the new website. https://www.triplebhandmade.com/

sal
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Shawn,

I'll send you the proto for input after I play with it. :p Need your approval. Then we can order steel. Still on 15V?

sal
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

👀
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:23 pm
Hi Shawn,

I'll send you the proto for input after I play with it. :p Need your approval. Then we can order steel. Still on 15V?

sal
Well looks like we'll see :p

Very Exciting
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Nothing in the works. I am more of a benchstone guy so I feel that's where my expertise and focus is.

I have been playing more with the Edge Pro to expand my knowledge and for strict cut testing procedure for certain projects. Cody and Ben are very nice and gave me a lesson on the system a year ago when I stopped by.

Very different from what I'm used to but a person needs new experiences or they risk becoming stagnant.

You should look into the Edge Pro Matrix Stones. I enjoy those.
legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:16 pm
Any plans to make anything workable along with guided systems? I'm still on training wheels when it comes to sharpening :p

Great looking stuff Shawn!
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Wow I didn't know you had a site, you have some nice products. I really wish I would have followed your IG a long time ago though, some great stuff on there too
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:18 am
Wow I didn't know you had a site, you have some nice products. I really wish I would have followed your IG a long time ago though, some great stuff on there too
Haha well thank you, yes the IG is almost like a diary of events.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Shawn,

I've had an Edge Pro for many many years. Good guys and they make a good product. In my opinion, best of the clamp systems. Jim Ankerson also uses an edge pro. It's a lot different than stones or the Sharpmaker, but as I've said, "all good, just different". If you are going to be a blade aficionado, you really need to taste all of the flavors.

sal