New guy here

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lushbaugh

New guy here

Post by Lushbaugh »

Hi all! New member long time spyderco fan... names chris, my edc is a citadel 92mm ,black on black
sal

Re: New guy here

Post by sal »

Hi Lushbaugh,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Welcome!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum!

Tbh, I had to look up your EDC, didn´t know it... Cool knife, though I am not into autos, but I like the good amount of edge in a compact package and the roomy, neutral handle... reminds me a bit on the Caribbean.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Welcome to the Forum. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Lushbaugh

Post by Lushbaugh »

Thanks for the warm welcome! And wartstein its an older model, been discontinued for at least 12 yrs i believe. It holds sentimental value and im so used to it i feel naked without it. I have a few benchmades and a zero tolerance but in comparison they are junk. I broke the firing spring and couldnt find parts so i re coiled the existing spring to get her back into action. Talk about sad when i hit the button and it went pop. I also do my own sharpening. I mainly use my triangle sharpmaker but if the edge is badly knicked i use my gatco fixed style to re grind and re tip it.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum Chris. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hello!
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Welcome to the forum, Chris! :spyder: :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Lushbaugh wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:55 am
Hi all! New member long time spyderco fan... names chris, my edc is a citadel 92mm ,black on black
Welcome. Just be warned, we all have a Spyderco addiction problem. You soon will, too, and we will gladly help you spend your money on them. :D :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Lushbaugh

Post by Lushbaugh »

Doc dan ive had the blade bug! My next edc is yet to be determined but when the funds are available an autonomy 2 will be in my nightstand also!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Welcome to the forum! :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Welcome! Sal lures you in with fancy steels and then sets the hook with awesome quality and craftsmanship!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Lushbaugh

Post by Lushbaugh »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:06 am
Welcome! Sal lures you in with fancy steels and then sets the hook with awesome quality and craftsmanship!
I need to branch out on my steel preference, as of now most of my knives are s30v.
acer

Post by acer »

Hi Chris , welcome and enjoy , you’ve made the right choice👍
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Lushbaugh wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:41 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:06 am
I need to branch out on my steel preference, as of now most of my knives are s30v.
Enjoy the ride! :spyder:
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Love the Citadel, great choice.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Lushbaugh wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:32 pm
Thanks for the warm welcome! And wartstein its an older model, been discontinued for at least 12 yrs i believe. It holds sentimental value and im so used to it i feel naked without it. I have a few benchmades and a zero tolerance but in comparison they are junk. I broke the firing spring and couldnt find parts so i re coiled the existing spring to get her back into action. Talk about sad when i hit the button and it went pop. I also do my own sharpening. I mainly use my triangle sharpmaker but if the edge is badly knicked i use my gatco fixed style to re grind and re tip it.
As said, I didn´t know the Citadel, so I learned something new through your post.. :)

/ Have you considered getting CBN rods for your sharpmaker? I did so quite recently, like ´em a lot when I want something more abrasive (there are also the diamond rods, but I never had those).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Lushbaugh

Post by Lushbaugh »

Warstien i need to get the super fine finishing rods also. I held off at first not having any experience with it. I wanted to makesure i liked the system before i went all out
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Lushbaugh wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:01 am
Warstien i need to get the super fine finishing rods also. I held off at first not having any experience with it. I wanted to makesure i liked the system before i went all out
Lushbaugh, I personally don´t think one needs the superfine rods, the fine are more than enough for finishing imho (these days I often even touch up my knives solely on the brown rods)

Keep in mind, I am not a master sharpener at all, but there are not too few on this forum who I think are really good at it and feel the same way.
And of course it depends on what kind of edge finish you personally prefer! For polishing the edge the brown rods won´t work...

Anyway, I personally would definitely get the CBN rods instead of or at least before the UF - I know, they are quite the opposite, but of much more use in "real life" imho

Here is a very interesting thread by Vivi (who knows a ton more than I do about sharpening) concerning "low grit sharpening"! (link below)

I am sure if you have any questions on that topic you could post in that thread (and by that bump it) and the guys who really know their stuff when it comes to sharpening will reply (not saying that YOU do NOT know your stuff! I just can´t know by now how experienced you are, that´s all)

viewtopic.php?t=85096