Tell us about your Spyderco Knife of the Year 2019

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
talesk

Re: Tell us about your Spyderco Knife of the Year 2019

Post by talesk »

Bought a lot in 2019... Maybe too much.

My top knife is the Spyderco Subvert collaboration with Black Snow Customs.

The fit and finish is next level and action is as good as early generation grimsmo norseman... But at a sliver of the cost.

Absolutely rock solid lockup. Zero blade play and it guillotines closed.

The blade shape is surprisingly useful, robust, and slicy considering the thickness.

The only knock I have on the subvert is the detent ramp... But I'm really digging into the weeds for flaws at that point.

Otherwise it's a perfect knife and a great showcase of what Spyderco is capable of.

The Subvert is just a really fun knife to own and use. Very pleased with it.

The drunken might have taken top spot except for the clip. I would have preferred a functional steel clip.
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
Wants: parata, kapara
In the mail:
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:11 am
Naperville: Good to see another Province fan. That’s some high praise, too.
I have 90 knives at an invested value of just around $20kUS. The Province is that good. I was on the fence for a while, but the guys on this forum posting their reviews lead me to buying it immediately. "A better 3V" ? It seems true. It seems to take abuse and hold an edge longer than 3V. When comparing it to the relatively soft S35VN(55-57HRC) of the Chris Reeve Green Beret I do not think I will be sorry. DISCLAIMER: I have both!

I want at least one more for myself and I'd like one for my brother. It will easily out best the Randal Model 14 that I gave him in O1 steel.

If it's that good, then get it while the gettin is good!

I also like Harsey fixed blades from Spartan (S35VN at 59-60 HRC) and they are on my short list too.

/QUOTE/
The heart of the Province is unquestionably its dramatic Bowie-style blade, which is precision machined from CPM 4V tool steel. CPM 4V is an advanced alloy specifically developed for applications requiring a superior combination of strength, wear resistance, and toughness. It is enriched with generous amounts of molybdenum and vanadium and is also a product of Crucible Industries' particle metallurgy process, which ensures a uniform distribution of the steel's alloys and a fine, homogenous microstructure.

The Province's stout, clip point blade is 0.154-inch (3.9 mm) thick and features a high flat grind and a full-thickness spine that balance strength, lightweight, and low-friction edge geometry for optimal performance. A swedge (unsharpened bevel) on the spine of the blade ensures an acute, utilitarian point that is also strong and well centered.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
foofie

Post by foofie »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:25 pm
I think I'd have to go with the Province as my top new knife this year.
I was going to vote waterway, then quite a few votes for the province got me thinking. Have one inbound finally so we shall see.
On the folder side, the para3 lw is really well done.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Easily the Cru-carta Shaman for me. When I first discovered Spyderco I was on the hunt for a folding companion to my 3V fixed blades. While I loved a lot of the designs, I was very dismayed at the lack of Micarta scale options and tough blade steels. Ever since I joined this forum I have been vocally pushing for these types of folders knowing the demand was there. And boy was I right! :D This has been a long time coming and I am hoping 2020 is the year of the Cru-carta! Some 3V models (Micarta Shaman, Manix XL, Military, etc) would be a nice surprise next step for 2020 as well!

Honorable mention goes to the Cruwear Delica as I really enjoy my Seki FRN backlock models for EDC, but was always dismayed at the lack of a non-laminated tough steel option. I am REALLY hoping that the distributor of this Delica commissions the entire Seki flagship lineup (Endura, Dragonfly, Endela, Straight Spine Stretch, Police LW, and Jester...and maybe a Delica and Dfly Wharnie for good measure!) in this Gray FRN / Cruwear combo.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Another year that makes the "Knife of the Year" pick really difficult. After reading the posts about the Caribbean and seeing the black dyed scales, I regret not getting one. Just couldn't get past the bumblebee look. Maybe at heart I'm a fixed blade fool, but I agree with others here. My Waterway sees the most use so I guess it gets my vote (great design and materials). A knife that defies the elements. The Province imo is a true classic and shear power cutter, destined to be one of Spyderco's all-time best (and that says a lot), maybe knife of the decade. The Bow River is a delight and at $32 bucks a bargain. Hope my kids all like the Bow in their stocking stuffers. Another home run year for Spyderco. Thanks to all of the Spyderco team. :spyder:
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

for me its the Para3 lightweight, everything about the knife just makes sense to me from the choice of handle material to the blade steel.
brj

Post by brj »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:37 pm
QI-ed Ikuchi and QI-ed Kapara are shoulder to shoulder in my case but I have to give the "Spydie Knife of the Year 2019" award to the gorgeous Kapara.
^this. I do wish the tip was more acute but apart from that ergos are great and looks are stunning. Plus, it's only one of those few Spydies where I actually enjoy using the choil since it's less pronounced than the norm (the others being Millie and Para1).

For 2020 I do hope we'll see a fully serrated Salt Remote Release, it's been what, 2 years since the Snap-It, I'd say it's about time.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im not changing my mind just yet but I am really liking the police 4 lightweight.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Para3 LW FRN

Even though the Para3 does not fit my hand or blade preferences, the LW blew my mind. The construction, the action, the clip, the weight reduction, the contouring... Fingers crossed that the PM2 LW is just around the corner. :spyder:
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Only 3 are in the running for me: HH red g10 UKPK, irvory ss stretch, and subvert.
I’m choosing the subvert simply because it got so much use at the end of the summer for me. It’s big, beautiful, and a real handful. It would make a terrible edc for me as it’s way too thick. For
Many tasks a tip is necessary. Other tasks, a big belly does the trick. I found this to be really useful for cutting rigid insulation. The 3 1/2” think stuff. Foil faced and strong enough to stand on. Cut enough to insulate about 1000 sf and this beast was awesome. The big full handle helped a lot for my end of summer task.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:54 am
Gayle Bradley Junction

Used the most this year and enjoying the steel and weight for just about everything from dressing water buffaloes and filleting large Barramundi to making peanut butter sandwiches

Such a great knife! I love it more and more, every week. It ended up being a pretty big surprise too, in the end. Now, it's right on top, with my favorite fixed-blade knives, ever.
I bought mine last year though, so I am not considering it for my 2019 Spyderco knife of the year. :)

It's always so tough for me personally, picking a single Spyderco knife for this yearly award. But to make a long story, and very tough sorting process, short. I'm going to have to pick the Kapara.
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

The last time I commented in an oft-repeated “what Spydie do you want?” thread, the answer was: a Manix in the m390 family. And no sooner had I found a great deal on a completely different M2 sprint the 20cv M2’s dropped. The 20cv M2 has not left my pocket all year, and the other sprint is still in its box.

I suppose I should offer the disclaimers that I didn’t manage one of the Shaman sprints, and haven’t saved up for a Spydiechef yet... but that’s 2019’s answer.

Apparently I also need to try out the Police 4 and the Caribbean as well. Why did I think reading this thread would be a good idea? :o

-Ward
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Easy answer: Endela Lightweight C243PBK modded to a straight spine. In my pocket every day.

cistercian

Post by cistercian »

I bought a few this year but the one that really stands out is the CQI Kapara.
I did not like the look in pictures but I wanted to try it anyway....what a revelation
this knife is! The fit and finish are spectacular...action is smooooth. It drops shut
like it is already broken in. It feels luxurious in hand and cuts like mad.
It is my nicest folder by far. It feels like 500 dollars+.
Just an amazing release by Spyderco...really top shelf in every way. It is
so much nicer in person than the pictures show. Highest recommendation!
olywa

Post by olywa »

My fave so far is the translucent blue Manix 2 LW in BD1N. I've had one in BD1 for years and the BD1N is a noticeable upgrade. However my Sage 5 LW is in the mail and I'm really looking forward to it.
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

My favorite blade of 2019 is the Tropen. I like the large blade, no choil and smoothness of the opening. The fit and finish is beautiful from the polished g10 to the grind lines in the blade. I highly recommend before the new year price increase.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

My Knife of the Year for 2019 is the Introvert, a knife designed by Chris Knutsen, initially produced by Spyderco in 2016 & discontinued in 2018 but one which I acquired early this year. It's neither my most used knife of the year (that has to be my combo edge Native 5 Lightweight, which is my go-to work knife) nor is it my most carried knife (which is my Manbug, a fixture on my keychain) but, to borrow a phrase popularized by Marie Kondo (LOL), in 2019, no other new (to me) knife has sparked as much joy for me as the Introvert.

In use, it functions as an extension of my hand, and is as good an ergonomic fit for me as my other favourite Spyderco designs (Native 5, Delica 4, Yojimbo 2, UKPK). Perhaps most significant of all, the Introvert's idiosyncratic design has made me rethink, reevaluate, and rediscover what features I like in a knife (no mean feat—I've been carrying and using knives for well over 30 years) and it has made me more open-minded & curious about quirkier knife designs, not just in Spyderco's catalogue, but in other manufacturers' as well.
Last edited by zuludelta on Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

foofie wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:41 am
TomAiello wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:25 pm
I think I'd have to go with the Province as my top new knife this year.
I was going to vote waterway, then quite a few votes for the province got me thinking. Have one inbound finally so we shall see.
On the folder side, the para3 lw is really well done.
Did you receive your Spyderco Province?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
foofie

Post by foofie »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:09 am
Did you receive your Spyderco Province?
I did! Unfortunately, my vote is still for the Waterway.
The Province is really well designed and made. I love 4v, and it fits the knife perfectly. Nothing but respect for Sanders/Ankerson.
It has nothing to do with the Province itself - outside of the kitchen, my fixed blade needs are covered by 4 inches (maybe up to 5). The good news is I get to plan a weekend around better using the Province :D .
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

2019 KOTY: Endela

2019 Spyderco acquisitions - latest on top:

Pointed Tip Z-Cut – SpyderEdge (two - one was gifted)
Endura ZDP-189 British Racing Green
Endela Lightweight C243PBK modified to a straight spine
C79PSYL Assist Salt Lightweight (glove compartment duty)
PARA-MILITARY 2 Earth Brown