The Spyderco Rescue Designer? History?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Halfneck

Re: The Spyderco Rescue Designer? History?

Post by Halfneck »

Only Rescue I have is the blue handled version like 5th one down in this pic. Carried it as a work knife at the hospital till I got a Gen 4 Delica. Always liked how the blade on this version looked.
Mini2white wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:29 pm
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Okay, the UKpk rescue concept is AMAZING. that would be a wonderful sprint run....

Maybe in Lc200n on the USA made modern UKpk?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Reject

Post by Reject »

Dodge wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:30 pm
Here’s my meager submission. :)
Nice collection.
:eek: I was going to say that I had never heard of a yellow Rescue with hump blade.
Then I had a closer look at it. :D

:D Loving this thread.
How much can a Koala bear?
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Reject wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:38 pm
Dodge wrote:
Nice collection.
:eek: I was going to say that I had never heard of a yellow Rescue with hump blade.
Then I had a closer look at it. :D

:D Loving this thread.
I had the Atlantic out one day and over laid the ‘04 on top of it and the rest is history!! The hump blades are really user friendly and unique IMHO. I added a rescue wave and have a 79mm in orange in the collection. If the timing is ever right a WTC is my grail.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:28 pm
Okay, the UKpk rescue concept is AMAZING. that would be a wonderful sprint run....

Maybe in Lc200n on the USA made modern UKpk?
I like your thoughts. I also want to get the orange G10 UKPK rescue.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Dodge wrote:
I bet some of those took a bit of hunting down. Not so meagre.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Mini2white wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:05 pm
Dodge wrote:
I bet some of those took a bit of hunting down. Not so meagre.
Just a few years and a few missing clips!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Reject wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:36 pm
This is the smallest one I have.

I think it can go even smaller than that - small enough to look like jewellery... ;)
Seriously, I tip my hat to your collection!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I know that this thread is about all the great RESCUE models from the past 3 decades. But doesn't anyone else but me have any respect for those Stainless handled RESCUE models out of the ATS-55 era??? I do believe anyone who would test drive one of them would fall in love with that model as I did.

The STainless RESCUE is truly a Hidden Classic from a forgotten era>> and a super classic era at that. Of all the RESCUE and any of the other Sheepsfoot blade models that Spyderco has ever made I defy someone to show me anything better built than one of the STainless Handled RESCUE models from the ATS-55 Era > from the late 90s/early 2000s

I don't think that there is a Spyderco folder made any more solid and rigid than the Stainless RESCUE IMO
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Send me one and I’ll get back to you :p
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

prndltech wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:22 pm
Send me one and I’ll get back to you :p
Yeah right :rolleyes: Just like if I found a $100 dollar bill laying on the ground I would be sure to turn it in to City Hall as well :rolleyes:

Actually I wouldn't blame you because you would love it the first time you used it. I know I sure did ;)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I had a rescue 3 for a while. Honestly didn’t use it...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Stainless mariner is for sale with another older ats stainless knife for $195
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Reject wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:36 pm
This is the smallest one I have.

Here are some smaller ones.

James Y

Post by James Y »

The I prefer the Spyderco Rescue/sheepsfoot knives to have a little bit of PE at the tip, as opposed to having the serrations all the way to the tip. IMO, that little bit of PE multiplies the overall usefulness of a SE sheepsfoot blade; I have no use for a serrated tip.

Jim
Reject

Post by Reject »

Rescue JR in ATS-55 / G-10 and the Rescue 79

How much can a Koala bear?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:58 pm
I'm so glad you made mention of the ATS-55 era. Yeah I know that Sal has said on occasions that they proved VG-10 to be better which is why they dropped ATS-55. But for some really strange reason I've always liked ATS-55 in spite of that decision >> especially in sheepsfoot/RESCUE type models. I've found ATS-55 to be a great steel for serrated/Spyderedged units and for the past two months I've been EDCing an ATS-55 Stainless RESCUE model and I don't plan to retire it any time soon. It makes a really nice edge that really bites well in PE too.

Also I feel like the ATS-55 era and ATS-34 era both were a huge turning point in Spyderco's long term game plan. Because during and after those two important eras in Spyder History the product line just got better and continues to get better yet. It is as if that particular blade steel kind of set the stage so to speak. If they have left over bar stock of ATS-55 and/or 440V I would have no problem with new Spyderedged models being made in those steels.

Also in any trades when I get offered old Spyders out of the ATS-55 era I always take notice. I even consider my ATS-55 big C-44 Dyad to be sacred in my user rotation.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:47 am
Reject wrote:
I'm so glad you made mention of the ATS-55 era. Yeah I know that Sal has said on occasions that they proved VG-10 to be better which is why they dropped ATS-55. But for some really strange reason I've always liked ATS-55 in spite of that decision >> especially in sheepsfoot/RESCUE type models. I've found ATS-55 to be a great steel for serrated/Spyderedged units and for the past two months I've been EDCing an ATS-55 Stainless RESCUE model and I don't plan to retire it any time soon. It makes a really nice edge that really bites well in PE too.

Also I feel like the ATS-55 era and ATS-34 era both were a huge turning point in Spyderco's long term game plan. Because during and after those two important eras in Spyder History the product line just got better and continues to get better yet. It is as if that particular blade steel kind of set the stage so to speak. If they have left over bar stock of ATS-55 and/or 440V I would have no problem with new Spyderedged models being made in those steels.

Also in any trades when I get offered old Spyders out of the ATS-55 era I always take notice. I even consider my ATS-55 big C-44 Dyad to be sacred in my user rotation.
I love my 440V as well, You brought up a real passion for me. I do like some of the more modern steels as well, but my 440V military is a favourite.
jasonstone20

Post by jasonstone20 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:47 am
Reject wrote:

I would love to get a Rescue in ATS-55. I was lucky enough to get a Merlin in ATS-55, I really like the steel and the knives of the era.
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

How rare are the UKPK Rescue models? Thanks