Hope for the Caly 3.5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JacksonKnives

Re: Hope for the Caly 3.5?

Post by JacksonKnives »

Happy to see the CF model continue in Seki. Not saying I want all my knives made this way, but it'd be a shame to change a knife so perfect.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

In Seki, but at the Moki plant, right?
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

While I am looking forward to the LW version, I also want to see the current model retain its liners. One of my most carried knives.
I would love to see any sprints of the current version or even just a g10 option for the zdp blade.
Thanks again Sal for this great design!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I wouldn't be opposed to Supergold on white G10.

No lamination please.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Could someone post a pic holding a Caly 3.5 behind the choil? Favorably someone with L / XL hands, or at least stating what handsize he/she has?

IF there is enough space for a good four finger grip behind the choil, the upcoming LW version of this knife could almost be perfect for my preferences:
About Delica sized in closed lenght, but offering even a bit more actual cutting edge than a PM2, Endela or Stretch 2.

Much like the Stretch 1 does a bit scaled up (Caly 3.5: Closed length 4.313 ",edge 3.125 "; Stretch 1: Closed length 4.438 "; edge 3.188 ")
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Here are some in hand comparisons with the Stretch 2 and Sliverax for comparison. My hand is about 3.5" across at the knuckles and I wear an L-XL size glove.

CALY1.jpg
CALY2.jpg
CALY3.jpg
CALY4.jpg
CALY5.jpg
CALY6.jpg
CALY7.jpg
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:30 pm
Here are some in hand comparisons with the Stretch 2 and Sliverax for comparison. My hand is about 3.5" across at the knuckles and I wear an L-XL size glove.

CALY7.jpg
Thanks for taking the time, that really helps a lot!! Since I also have L to XL hands, the Caly 3.5 should offer just enough space for a full four finger grip behind the choil. Which is good.
Again, (a tad) more cutting edge than PM2, Stretch 2, Manix, Endela in essentially a Delica sized handle is great, and that in a knife that still offers a choil (which I would not need, but do not mind either, if there is still enough space behind the choil, so the knife offers two real four finger grip options).

The comparison pic to the straight spine Stretch is interesting, and showing the rather opposite approach of the Stretch (2, not 1): Around 5 % less cutting edge than the Caly, in return a very generous, handfilling, roomy handle.

Both valid approaches.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I could fit four fingers behind the choil on my old 3.5, but it didn't feel very good. My hands felt this knife was designed around the index choil, much like the 3 & jr.

The full sized Calypso feels like it was meant to be used in either grip for my hand size. It's one of the most ergonomic designs of Sals, up there or even superior to the Police and Military for me.

YMMV.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:19 pm
I could fit four fingers behind the choil on my old 3.5, but it didn't feel very good. My hands felt this knife was designed around the index choil, much like the 3 & jr.

The full sized Calypso feels like it was meant to be used in either grip for my hand size. It's one of the most ergonomic designs of Sals, up there or even superior to the Police and Military for me.

YMMV.
Thanks, Vivi! But I could imagine that for my "just" L to XL hand size the Caly 3.5 is like the Calypso is for your XXXl (?) size... ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Could be!

My only point is that just because you can fit four fingers in a specific grip doesn't guarantee it'll be comfortable.

I can fit four fingers behind the choil of a Native if I try, but it isn't comfortable to really use it that way.

If the 3.5 ends up feeling like the full sized does for me, you'll love it. All three sizes have really well executed ergonomics, but unsurprisingly my preference is for the largest one.
:unicorn
sok

Post by sok »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:31 pm
sok wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:14 pm
I am all for a sprint run with different steels, and I wouldn’t care what color the G10 was but physically, leave the handle alone. It is unique and perfect, and the one underrated trait that seldom gets mentioned is maintance on a Caly 3.5.

One pivot screw and this knife is tore down to clean. No washers or spacers. Three parts; blade, handle, and pivot screw. Give it a quick scrubbing with some hot soapy water and a stiff bristled nylon brush, shake it dry....then set it out to dry completely. Fifteen minutes of manpower, at the most, to have them cleaned and ready to go. No oil, no grease, no fuss.

I have never feared getting a Caly 3.5/3 wet in any way. If you get it wet with something gross or caustic, or drop it in the mud, just give it a good rinsing under the faucet and shake it. In a pinch douse it with WD40 and shake dry or blow it out with an air nozzle. I have been known to remove the pivot screw and run a Caly 3.5 through the dishwasher.

In all the years I have carried one of these, I have never seen any signs of seepage between the scales and the stainless liner. Even where the stainless overlaps itself, it is 100% tight. Pinned construction works here. I consider the handle unibody. It is like it was milled from one solid piece for all intents and purposes and I look at this knife as linerless.

If any of the suggestions in this thread change this in any way, it’s a no from me dog. It is not a single item that makes the Caly 3.5 so great it is the sum of all its parts.

I just want new steel to play with. That is one reason why I was looking at the lightweight from the perspective of a blade swap with the standard 3.5. My two cents.
I rusted various Caly 3's on the liners and lock parts.

I love the line but will only be buying screw based versions from here on out.

In fact I'd love a Calypso lightweight built with Endura 4 style construction. But I'll still check out the 3.5 LW when it comes out.
I live in the middle of the US and have never had a problem with corrosion, in general, on any knife. I did lose a Caly 3.5 with VG-10 once for about a year. I found it between the seats in my work truck eventually. It had rust at the pivot.

Edit to add pic*
This handle originally had a Super Blue blade. I swapped the SB into a CF handle that had a VG-10 blade. Galvanic corrosion? Exposure to the elements? A little of both? Not Sure. It wasn’t because I got it wet though.

Another edit*
While I had the knife out, I decided to soak the knife in hot soapy water for about a half hour. All signs of corrosion then just wiped of with a rag. I moved lockback lever back and forth while rinsing with water to restore back to original action.
Last edited by sok on Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:21 pm
I think the Caly 3.5 was one of my better designs and doesn't need a lot of design improvement, in my opinion. Much of limitations are the result of the maker so exotic steels not made in Japan, screw construction and higher numbers are what prompted us to move the FRN to Taichung. This would permit any steel, any color and disassembly, but our makers are near capacity in all areas so we have schedules to create and keep. I don't see the Caly 3.5 FRN coming our before next year. we've yet to receive a prototype. We'll continue to make the current models in Seki. Thanx for your continued interest in this model.

sal

One of your better designs indeed Sal.... I only hope the Taichung made Caly3.5 will be ground thinner behind the edge and have an internal stop pin; all my 3 Seki made Caly3.5 came with up/down blade play straight from the factory...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
mayong

Post by mayong »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:09 am
sal wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:21 pm
I think the Caly 3.5 was one of my better designs and doesn't need a lot of design improvement, in my opinion. Much of limitations are the result of the maker so exotic steels not made in Japan, screw construction and higher numbers are what prompted us to move the FRN to Taichung. This would permit any steel, any color and disassembly, but our makers are near capacity in all areas so we have schedules to create and keep. I don't see the Caly 3.5 FRN coming our before next year. we've yet to receive a prototype. We'll continue to make the current models in Seki. Thanx for your continued interest in this model.

sal

One of your better designs indeed Sal.... I only hope the Taichung made Caly3.5 will be ground thinner behind the edge and have an internal stop pin; all my 3 Seki made Caly3.5 came with up/down blade play straight from the factory...

+1. The Caly 3.5 is absolutely one of my favorite designs. My single complaint is that vertical blade play you mention. Without that, it would be perfect.
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich