C95 Manix Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

C95 Manix Sprint

Post by vivi »

Is there anyone else that would be interested in a C95 Manix sprint? I'm talking this guy:

I'd be thrilled to see this knife come back for one last sprint.

If I could have my choice of steel and scale, I'd go with OD green Micarta or G10, with a DLC tool steel blade like 3V, 4V or K390.
:unicorn
Pancake

Re: C95 Manix Sprint

Post by Pancake »

4 mm stock thickness is just...uh...oh....why.... Medford...meh

And improve pocket clip placement, put it on the end of scale.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:00 am
Is there anyone else that would be interested in a C95 Manix sprint? I'm talking this guy:

If I could have my choice of steel and scale, I'd go with OD green Micarta or G10, with a DLC tool steel blade like 3V, 4V or K390.
I neither had this model, nor the Manix XL, but just looking at their specs I´d honestly prefer a sprint (Micarta!) of the latter: Same closed length, but the XL offers a bit more cutting edge, is lighter and has a thinner blade (the 4mm of the C95 are really thick imho)

Is there anything that makes you prefer the C95 over the XL? Honest question,since as said I have no experience with either knife.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:11 am
Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:00 am

I neither had this model, nor the Manix XL, but just looking at their specs I´d honestly prefer a sprint (Micarta!) of the latter: Same closed length, but the XL offers a bit more cutting edge, is lighter and has a thinner blade (the 4mm of the C95 are really thick imho)

Is there anything that makes you prefer the C95 over the XL? Honest question,since as said I have no experience with either knife.
- The lack of jimping on the choil and handle

- While the CBBL XL is a great knife I still prefer the lockback

- Better ergonomics. That extra width in the handle to accomodate the 4mm works really well with the overall handle design.

- Easier to take apart and put back together

- It isn't open back construction. I prefer that because if I toss the knife in a pack or deep in a pocket, less chance something will ding up the edge.

None of this is to say the current XL model is a bad knife. I've owned a few of them and I love them, especially the DLC model. But like how you appreciate the Stretch 2 but prefer the Stretch 1, that's how I feel about the Manix.
Pancake wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:11 am
4 mm stock thickness is just...uh...oh....why.... Medford...meh

And improve pocket clip placement, put it on the end of scale.
With how tall of a blade it had along with a full flat grind implying the C95 had the cutting ability of a medford is laughable. The Military, IIRC, is even thicker behind the edge, and those cut great too. I don't think a deep carry clip would imrpove this model.

Either way I'm going to carry my Manix XL today. Might have to look around on ebay for a C95 :D
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I would definitely get one, and I want the thick blade stock. Don't change anything but handle color and steel.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:25 am

With how tall of a blade it had along with a full flat grind implying the C95 had the cutting ability of a medford is laughable. The Military, IIRC, is even thicker behind the edge, and those cut great too. I don't think a deep carry clip would imrpove this model.

Either way I'm going to carry my Manix XL today. Might have to look around on ebay for a C95 :D
Hmmm, interesting, never had C95 or Millie.
And the pocket clip, I don't want to mean wire clip, use the standard spoon clip, just place it a higher, so the knife rides lower in the pocket (much like it is done on current Manix 2).
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:41 am
Vivi wrote:

And the pocket clip, I don't want to mean wire clip, use the standard spoon clip, just place it a higher, so the knife rides lower in the pocket (much like it is done on current Manix 2).
It's a stout beast of a knife that's designed to be tough and overbuilt, while you have dinky little knives like the Lil Native and Para 3 having effectively the same thickness (3.7mm vs 4) in a more narrow blade. The height of the full flat grind on the Military and Manix mean they still cut well despite their spine thickness.

The C95 and XL have the same clip placement.

Deep carry can work alright on tip down models or small knives. If you put a deep carry tip up clip on a knife like the C95, Police or Millie, it means a lot of re-adjusting your grip between drawing the knife and opening it, making it more cumbersome to use. That's why they don't fit the C95. The current placement is great.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

100% yes! I've been asking for this myself for some time now. Cruwear or 3V with OD Green Micarta. Satin and DLC both as options. Keeping the original "dino jimping" from the first run. This would be one heck of a knife! I have no doubt the demand for this sprint run would be near Cru-carta Shaman level.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:33 pm
Pancake wrote:
Vivi wrote:

It's a stout beast of a knife that's designed to be tough and overbuilt, while you have dinky little knives like the Lil Native and Para 3 having effectively the same thickness (3.7mm vs 4) in a more narrow blade. The height of the full flat grind on the Military and Manix mean they still cut well despite their spine thickness.

Deep carry can work alright on tip down models or small knives. If you put a deep carry tip up clip on a knife like the C95, Police or Millie, it means a lot of re-adjusting your grip between drawing the knife and opening it, making it more cumbersome to use. That's why they don't fit the C95. The current placement is great.
The Lil native is a chubby bunny but only 3.3mm like the regular native and Manix 2. The para 3 is 3.7 and that's ridiculous.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

The original C95 was stout for it's time - compared to modern knives it's downright svelte. The blade had a strong distal taper and with the high FFG it cuts much better than one would expect.

The market outside of eBay for C95s seems kinda soft right now. I picked up one a few weeks ago for ~$100 and a C95+C101 went for $180 together on BF last week. That said if there was a sprint I'd be sure to buy one. The C95 is an excellent knife with it's huge blade and handle, the lock snapping home is like a bank vault.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Yes, and just as you described. OD green sounds great - 4V would be my preference. Greatly prefer backlock to BB lock (my fingers just do not like that lock).
Do you have a photo of one in hand (your hand). The Vivi handshot is how I judge handle size because you have posted so many knife-in-hand shots ;) Sort of a standard now.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'd be in from 1 to 3 depending on steel selected. I've always liked this knife and think some of the steels used since then would really bring out the best in it. 3V on up through Cruwear to 4V or even K390. Any of them would be great.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:58 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:33 pm
Pancake wrote:
Vivi wrote:

The Lil native is a chubby bunny but only 3.3mm like the regular native and Manix 2. The para 3 is 3.7 and that's ridiculous.
thanks for the correction, I thought they were the same.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I would most likely buy one but to be honest, it's nothing i get overly excited about. My preference is around Delica/Endela-ish size, and compared to those the OG Manix was a behemoth :)
That said i much prefer back lock Manix to the CBBL one/s..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I wouldn't be especially interested in a Sprint. For one thing, Spyderco's engineering has improved; their lockbacks have tighter tolerances now.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If it was 3v, 4v or K390, I'd definitely buy it.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Dear Spyderco, please give Vivi what he wants already
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Yup.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

+1!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Lots of 3V votes in here. A C95 Sprint would be THE model to give us that 3V we are all craving! OD Green DLC 3V-carta for the win! My avatar has been this DLC "3V" Manix XL blade for some time now, but the C95 is really the one I was hoping for all along.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red