Delica point styles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Delica point styles

Post by Doc Dan »

Imagephoto host

As can be seen from the photo, my years older gray Delica 4 has a much more pointed blade than the newly purchased GITD Delica 4 exclusive. Is this a rolling change or an anomaly? I don’t like the new shape. My gray and purple D4’s are nice and pointy. What gives?

I’ll try to get a better photo, but the new Delica has a pronounced hump at the tip reminiscent of a Salt 2, but not as pronounced.

There is also more belly to the blade.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
prndltech

Re: Delica point styles

Post by prndltech »

I don’t know about GITD or new delicas but the FFG delicas and enduras I’ve bought all have a slight “drop” at the tip. Not as pronounced as the salt series, but it is there... as far as I know all FFG delicas/enduras have it since the iteration of the FFG blade
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:18 pm
I don’t know about GITD or new delicas but the FFG delicas and enduras I’ve bought all have a slight “drop” at the tip. Not as pronounced as the salt series, but it is there... as far as I know all FFG delicas/enduras have it since the iteration of the FFG blade
Generally all Delica and Endura 4 feature that "drop", not only the ffg, but also the sg versions. I like that in the ffg, would not need it in sg.
I think what Doc is saying, is thar the drop got more pronounced in newer iterations. I don't know about that, only have one "old" Delica 4.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:18 pm
Yes, a slight drop. This GITD has a more pronounced drop...not as much as the Salt 2 but much more than my other Delicas.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I prefer the straight spine Delica (shown with volcano grip). This is stock, no mods.

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

It might just be me, but those two Delicas don't look that different. If anything the grey Delica kind of looks slightly more pointed than the GITD Delica, but certainly not "much" more pointed. Honestly, I'm really having a hard time seeing the difference.

For what its worth, I have numerous Delica 4's that all look similar to yours.
-Nick :bug-red
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Yeah the gray Delica looks more pointed to me too. But maybe that's just an artifact of the camera angle, I dunno.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

To my eyes, in this photo at least, the differences seem to be in the overall belly profile and not in the tip. Could really just be a miscommunication due to the GITD possibly not as straightened comparative to the gray, but it looks like the gray D4 has a wider, straighter profile after the tip extending to the belly, while the GITD is more slender and has a more pronounced sweep in the belly to the ricasso; more akin the PM2. Spydie hole actually looks to be a touch smaller on the GITD as well. Leaner and possibly meaner: Delica 4 lite :cool:
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

z4vdBt wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:25 am
I prefer the straight spine Delica (shown with volcano grip). This is stock, no mods.

That's how a Delica should look like :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

It’s the way the picture came out when posted as the original clearly shows what I am talking about. I’ll see if I can do another picture. The difference is quite noticeable.

The gray is more pointed like the old Delicas with only a very slight drop near the point. The new Delica has a distinctive drop towards the point like the salt 2 but not as bad as the salt 2.

The new Delica also has more sweep to the edge or more belly than the gray. This does not bother me but the point issue kind of does.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:46 am
It’s the way the picture came out when posted as the original clearly shows what I am talking about. I’ll see if I can do another picture. The difference is quite noticeable.

The gray is more pointed like the old Delicas with only a very slight drop near the point. The new Delica has a distinctive drop towards the point like the salt 2 but not as bad as the salt 2.

The new Delica also has more sweep to the edge or more belly than the gray. This does not bother me but the point issue kind of does.

Me too but it's an easy fix ... it took me 5 min on a grinder.... my main issue is the thickness behind the edge :( THAT is not an easy fix
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Just compared my new GITD with a Delica I bought a few months ago and there is a difference like Doc Dan pictured and pointed out.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

1F959A09-7571-4381-81AE-905BEC5E7F7B.jpeg
The more pronounced belly is simply because more of the blade has been sharpened away. Look at the heel near the ricasso on the GITD model. There is a pronounced kick where more steel has been sharpened away than on the grey model.

As the knives get sharpened, naturally the heel and tip get sharpened away faster - because they are going heel to tip, tip back to heel, over and over. Notice that the tip and heel get hit twice for every one time that the belly is hit.

With spyderco, there is a huge sharpening variation unfortunately. I have bought 4 of the exact same knives (at the exact same time) and noticed that some of the blades are sometimes up to 1/8 of an inch different in length. Most of the time only 1/16 or so. But still.
Last edited by AwayFromMySpydieHole on Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Didn’t mean to quote my own post. Meant to edit the post.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Can confirm. Hap40 Zome Endura came thinner at the tip and longer overall blade than the my regular vg10 Endura

Hap40 on the left. Vg10 on the right. Handles are even. You’ll just have to trust me.

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
AwayFromMySpydieHole

prndltech wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:57 pm
Can confirm. Hap40 Zome Endura came thinner at the tip and longer overall blade than the my regular vg10 Endura

Hap40 on the left. Vg10 on the right. Handles are even. You’ll just have to trust me.

Yeah, the shorter one is shorter (and thicker at the tip) because it was sharpened more at the factory. More of the steel was sharpened away, making the blade shorter overall and the tip thicker subsequently.

It’s best to just not pay attention to these things (I struggle with it) because you’ll start noticing that some knives are MUCH shorter than others due to how they were sharpened.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I personally don’t care... makes each one unique in my book. I had a sage 1 that was the thickest spydie ive ever laid eyes on for an FFG blade....
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
AwayFromMySpydieHole

prndltech wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:45 pm
I personally don’t care... makes each one unique in my book. I had a sage 1 that was the thickest spydie ive ever laid eyes on for an FFG blade....

I try not to let it bug me but sometimes my neuroticism gets the best of me.

Like say I get two identical para 2’s at the same time in the same steel, yet one is noticeably shorter than the other. Sometimes all I can think about is how many sharpenings it would take me to make the blade that short. Sometimes it’s a year or more of life taken off the blade before it ever gets to me.

You’re right, best not to let it bother you. But sometimes it does bother me. I have a unique perspective on it I guess because there’s not a single spydie that I only own one of. Most of the time I have 2 to 4 of the exact same model. Sometimes more (I have 7 M4/jade millies). So when you start comparing them you see some strange stuff that you wouldn’t typically see holding one of them.

I’m working on it though. Best to just realize that life is short and you better enjoy them while you can. :)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:55 pm
prndltech wrote:

Like say I get two identical para 2’s at the same time in the same steel, yet one is noticeably shorter than the other. Sometimes all I can think about is how many sharpenings it would take me to make the blade that short. Sometimes it’s a year or more of life taken off the blade before it ever gets to me.

You’re right, best not to let it bother you. But sometimes it does bother me. I have a unique perspective on it I guess because there’s not a single spydie that I only own one of. Most of the time I have 2 to 4 of the exact same model. Sometimes more (I have 7 M4/jade millies). So when you start comparing them you see some strange stuff that you wouldn’t typically see holding one of them.

I’m working on it though. Best to just realize that life is short and you better enjoy them while you can. :)
Yeah I just use them and sharpen them... :D
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:55 pm
prndltech wrote:

These exact sentiments resonate with my experience with the Stretch "1". I owned 6 of them and upon observing a specifically wonky grind done on the spine of this model, I started obsessively examining each one of them. This in turn caused me to fall out of love with the model; although no issues found were of real detriment to performance, the mentality of what I loved so much was compromised. This is especially hard at ~$100(+) regarding any tool IMO.

On topic: After examining an older Delica (~2016/17) comparative to my newest (2019) Cruwear and M390 iterations, I've noticed the same point issue addressed. Moreso, I find it startling to see that all of the newer models seem to feature such a removal of steel at the heel from the factory sharpening. Really gives the overall knife a more slender look and I for one preferred the straight belly of the older iteration. This seemingly new standard of factory sharpening leaves a touch of unsharpened heel as well, which I could see as a huge deterrent for some. On the upside, all of the Delicas from mid-year 2019 onward that I've handled have been absolutely phenomenal examples of the model. Perfect fit, finish, action, lock-up, lock manipulation, factory grind and sharpness have been stunning.. A real improvement within the tolerances for sure. All of this combined with the exceptional heat-treating coming from this plant as well has been nothing short of exceptional and I look forward to future output from this factory. Great stuff coming from Seki these past 6 months that I can vouch for.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.