Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Mastiff

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Post by The Mastiff »

For years after the impact that killed the dinosaurs they found only mold spores in the record and no pollen. That means no plant growth and everything on the surface was decaying. There would have been very little sunlight and very cold weather.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:01 pm
For years after the impact that killed the dinosaurs they found only mold spores in the record and no pollen. That means no plant growth and everything on the surface was decaying. There would have been very little sunlight and very cold weather.
Joe,

In nuclear winter there is VERY little sunlight and everything just dies off and it's very cold.

A Wasteland basically.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

In nuclear winter there is VERY little sunlight and everything just dies off and it's very cold.

A Wasteland basically.
With lots of areas off limits from radiation which will last longer than the airborne particles blocking out the sun. In other words even after the sun comes back out us mammals can't go or stay in the contaminated areas.

During the cold war the areas down wind from the ICBM bases in Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota etc. were expected to have 2-4k rems per hour meaning 5 to 10 minutes outside of your shelter was guaranteed to be fatal due to the overkill laydown of warheads on those missile fields with I suppose the same in the USSR missile fields. Those areas were write offs and would lay desolate for hundreds-to thousands of years .

Asteroid impacts are even more disrupting due to their power but there isn't radiation to worry about. Still, with an asteroid in the right area of the right size you might have to deal with two thousand foot tsunamis. :)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:45 pm

A Wasteland basically.
With lots of areas off limits from radiation which will last longer than the airborne particles blocking out the sun. In other words even after the sun comes back out us mammals can't go or stay in the contaminated areas.

During the cold war the areas down wind from the ICBM bases in Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota etc. were expected to have 2-4k rems per hour meaning 5 to 10 minutes outside of your shelter was guaranteed to be fatal due to the overkill laydown of warheads on those missile fields with I suppose the same in the USSR missile fields. Those areas were write offs and would lay desolate for hundreds-to thousands of years .

Asteroid impacts are even more disrupting due to their power but there isn't radiation to worry about. Still, with an asteroid in the right area of the right size you might have to deal with two thousand foot tsunamis. :)

An asteroid hits of any real size humans would be done except for a very small percentage that might survive depending, but I really doubt that would happen. Humans would be gone completely as would most life on the planet.

The Nuclear winter would last for decades then an ice age after that so.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Right on! I would say, if anything, it's been getting cooler, longer, than in years past. My father in law spent the better part of a year at McMurdo Sound as a Seabee, and he agrees too.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The whole global warming thing is mostly about what they think will happen in the future because the temp has only gone up a little over a degree in the last hundred years ( we were still coming out of the little ice age in the 1800's ). The temp and sea level have advanced pretty consistently but steadily with no real jumps except using bad data.

Every prediction about climate they have made has been wrong. They have been caught changing past temp records to fit their current theories and predictions. That isn't how science is supposed to work.

The climate has always been changing and always will. We are still beginners at making long term predictions. Much more work needs to be done. Any climate scientist that claims it's all figured out and "settled" should be ignored.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:27 am

Every prediction about climate they have made has been wrong. They have been caught changing past temp records to fit their current theories and predictions. That isn't how science is supposed to work.

Joe,

It's that NEW science. ;)

Jim
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

On one hand I get the scepticsm, on the other hand I can’t see that changing the chemical composition of our atmosphere, if indeed we are, can have no effect.

I find it more plausible than not, that burning coal, oil and gas deposits releases hitherto aeon stored carbon back into circulation.

I guess it all comes down to what you think the most plausible (or perhaps the least implausible!) : A global consensus of environmental scientists or a global conspiracy of environmental scientists!!!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:05 am
On one hand I get the scepticsm, on the other hand I can’t see that changing the chemical composition of our atmosphere, if indeed we are, can have no effect.

I find it more plausible than not, that burning coal, oil and gas deposits releases hitherto aeon stored carbon back into circulation.

I guess it all comes down to what you think the most plausible (or perhaps the least implausible!) : A global consensus of environmental scientists or a global conspiracy of environmental scientists!!!

Well look at it this way.

From what those scientists have been saying for the past 50 years we all should have been dead a long time ago.

We would be in an ice age and under water while being burned alive by their predictions and agendas... ROFL...

In short they all are completely FOS...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:10 am
ChrisinHove wrote:

From what those scientists have been saying for the past 50 years we all should have been dead a long time ago.

We would be in an ice age and under water while being burned alive by their predictions and agendas... ROFL...

I think you need to get off the fence, Jim! :)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:13 am
Ankerson wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

Some of us are old enough to remember it all as they tried to push it over the decades. ;)

They have been wrong every single time, that's EVERY TIME.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:16 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

Some of us are old enough to remember it all as they tried to push it over the decades. ;)

Well they did manage to stem the ozone depletion in the Antarctic, didn’t they, at least until the PRC started cheating on CFC’s ....
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:21 am
Ankerson wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Well they did manage to stem the ozone depletion in the Antarctic, didn’t they, at least until the PRC started cheating on CFC’s ....

There was no OZONE problem that was man made. ;)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:24 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

Really? That is a little controversial!! Please elaborate.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:29 am
Ankerson wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

It's part of the delusion of people who think that humans can actually have any effect on what the Planet does or doesn't do.

Every human on the planet could die today and in about 50 Million years there would be no evidence that we were ever here. As in the next whatever it is that takes over the planet will have no idea that humans ever existed.

The Earth will take it all back.

We just happen to live here just like the rest of the animals do and have for the past 3 Billion years, most are gone.

As humans will be gone too some day as something will happen that will wipe us out and the future there will be another something that will take over the planet and the cycle will start over.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:32 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

It's part of the delusion of people who think that humans can actually have any effect on what the Planet does or doesn't do.

Every human on the planet could die today and in about 50 Million years there would be no evidence that we were ever here. As in the next whatever it is that takes over the planet will have no idea that humans ever existed.

We just happen to live here just like the rest of the animals do and have for the past 3 Billion years, most are gone.

As humans will be gone too some day as something will happen that will wipe us out and the future there will be another something that will take over the planet and the cycle will start over.
I couldn’t agree more : we’re the splashes in a bucket of water. A bit messy in the short term though.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:10 am
Ankerson wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

I couldn’t agree more : we’re the splashes in a bucket of water. A bit messy in the short term though.

Yes, I think humans should just enjoy the time that we have while we are here. :)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

Yep. And if someday in that far-flung future someone finds evidence that civilization today ever existed, they will probably be told they are only seeing evidence where there is none, and be labeled crackpots in whatever new languages the populations will be speaking at that point.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:23 am
Ankerson wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Yep. And if someday in that far-flung future someone finds evidence that civilization today ever existed, they will probably be told they are only seeing evidence where there is none, and be labeled crackpots in whatever new languages the populations will be speaking at that point.

Jim

Jim,

Kinda like the flat Earth people today and those who believe that humans and dinosaurs existed at the same time and the Earth is only 10,000 year old. LOL

Who knows though, maybe they will actually be smarter than humans.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:30 am
Jim,

Kinda like the flat Earth people today and those who believe that humans and dinosaurs existed at the same time and the Earth is only 10,000 year old. LOL

Who knows though, maybe they will actually be smarter than humans.

Jim
Bad news. Last month they found a pit in Mexico that has evidence of being made by mankind to trap and kill several woolly mammoths. I'm not sure how old woolly mammoths are, and if they qualify as dinosaurs but there ya have it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/