UKPK BD1N

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

UKPK BD1N

Post by Doc Dan »

I just picked up a UKPK BD1N. Wowza! This knife came sharp! The grinds are even and blade centering is perfect. The spring tension is just right, not too stiff, not too soft. Unlike my Urbans, both of them, which take a good amount of effort to open.

The scales provide a lot of traction. They are a bit on the coarse side, a good thing in a working knife.

One thing I did notice is the walk and talk. Both were mushy, not crisp, and uneven feeling. It’s not terrible but I wish it were better. Also, the snap just wasn’t as good as my Urban LW K390.

The good stuff is really good. The other stuff may correct themselves after the knife breaks in.

This is a very nice knife for the money. I prefer the Urban K390 as a pocket knife. It’s a bit smaller and more size efficient. It packs a slightly shorter cutting edge in a more pocketable package. However, as a utility knife or general duty, this UKPK is pretty nice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Re: UKPK BD1N

Post by The Meat man »

I think it's the best value for money that Spyderco offers. You get Golden USA quality build, a very nicely balanced steel, and a great overall design for under $60.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

It is a very sound package in so many ways!!! Ergonomics, function as a light duty EDC, build quality, USA manuf, and price.

It offers entry level knife people the opportunity to move up in quality without a heavy price tag, while remaining an easier steel to sharpen for those with fewer sharpening skills. And, the S110V offers the opportunity and caters to those knife people who are more advanced/demanding of their blade.

CG
Attachments
IMG_1298.JPG
Last edited by cycleguy on Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Basically with this knife comes all of the things loved about the Caly3 except the lock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

How do you feel it compares to the Dragonfly?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The UKPK really is a great knife! - particularly for those of us with larger hands.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yup, it’s been in my top three for years now. Then they took everything that was great about this knife and did it with S30V and red G10. Now it’s perfect.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:54 am
How do you feel it compares to the Dragonfly?
They are two completely different knives. The dragonfly is much smaller, lighter, and has a backlock .

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050