New Madrid Seismic Zone?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Mastiff

Re: New Madrid Seismic Zone?

Post by The Mastiff »

Yellowstone is a powder keg that could blow any time I'm sure. Not sure if it would be worse than another major shake up of the New Madrid Zone or not but it would be bad for sure.
Yellowstone would be a thousand times worse than any conceivable New Madrid event. Yellowstone not only has direct effects with huge amounts of ash ( twenty to a hundred foot deep in places with some 1-2 inch estimated ash falling as far away as where I live in NC) but it will have a worldwide climate effects immediately. We are currently between glaciations of the Wisconsin ice age which will eventually return on it's own but a supervolcano or large enough asteroid/comet impact can throw the switch and within a year we would be well into the next glaciation event ( an ice age).

The parts of the river that were going backwards were from subduction of large areas of land re routeing the river itself. That also created Reelfoot lake.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:56 pm
Yellowstone is a powder keg that could blow any time I'm sure. Not sure if it would be worse than another major shake up of the New Madrid Zone or not but it would be bad for sure.
Yellowstone would be a thousand times worse than any conceivable New Madrid event. Yellowstone not only has direct effects with huge amounts of ash ( twenty to a hundred foot deep in places with some 1-2 inch estimated ash falling as far away as where I live in NC) but it will have a worldwide climate effects immediately. We are currently between glaciations of the Wisconsin ice age which will eventually return on it's own but a supervolcano or large enough asteroid/comet impact can throw the switch and within a year we would be well into the next glaciation event ( an ice age).

The parts of the river that were going backwards were from subduction of large areas of land re routeing the river itself. That also created Reelfoot lake.
I heard when Krakatoa blew up, it affected weather worldwide, and that it even affected the level of the River Thames in England. Yellowstone would be much worse.

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yes, much worse.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:09 pm
Yes, much worse.

Oh yeah, by leaps and bounds...
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Here is a video that might prove interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:00 pm
The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:56 pm

I heard when Krakatoa blew up, it affected weather worldwide, and that it even affected the level of the River Thames in England. Yellowstone would be much worse./quote]
I was told by a local historian that I got to know that when Krakatoa blew up the last time you could hear it almost 1300 miles away :eek:

Yellowstone park is so unique that only Iceland has anything comparable to it. Not sure how many "Super Volcanos" there are on the planet but I think that Yellowstone is the only one in North America.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Not sure why Yellowstone has taken over this thread.

What makes New Madrid such a concern is its promise of widespread liquefaction, which will carry damage to human structures—and the humans in/on/under/below them—far beyond the source of released energy. No other studied seismic zone in US territory is as worrisome for this reason.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:47 am

What makes New Madrid such a concern is its promise of widespread liquefaction, which will carry damage to human structures—and the humans in/on/under/below them—far beyond the source of released energy. No other studied seismic zone in US territory is as worrisome for this reason.

Because when the Super Volcano blows up again it will effect the whole planet on a massive scale and will have catastrophic effects on the every living thing on the planet.

Notice I said when, not if...

And they won't have to worry too much about that Madrid Seismic Zone anymore because their won't be anything there after the Super Volcano blows again.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

My memory isn't perfect and so I report this as something that I think that I read.

There was/is a caldera or super volcano in India that it is the reason why they think that all of the dinosaurs were killed off.

EDIT: Yep, I just googled it. They call the area in India the Deccan Traps.

https://www.livescience.com/25324-volca ... saurs.html
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:56 am
wrdwrght wrote:

Because when the Super Volcano blows up again it will effect the whole planet on a massive scale and will have catastrophic effects on the every living thing on the planet.

And they won't have to worry too much about that Madrid Seismic Zone anymore because their won't be anything there after the Super Volcano blows again.
You can, of course, be curt with me and Chicken Little all you want.

Since the thread is hijacked, others may be interested in https://www.wired.com/2013/05/volcanic- ... -alone/amp.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:05 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:56 am
wrdwrght wrote:

You can, of course, be curt with me and Chicken Little all you want.

Since the thread is hijacked, others may be interested in https://www.wired.com/2013/05/volcanic- ... -alone/amp.

You are aware I hope that they are active volcanos?

Yes, they try and downplay them because it doesn't fit into their other agendas they are currently trying to push.

And all the states around them would be empty for the most part if they really did focus on it.

But then they always seem to downplay any sort of problem areas, look at Hawaii for example, the big island. People have been building homes there for awhile now. Although they got a real dose of reality when one of the volcanos erupted, they all are very active on the big island.... Stupid freaking idiots... :rolleyes:

Same with the Earthquake zones like you listed and others, not as bad as a Volcano, but still dangerous none the less.

There are a lot of Darwin award decisions that people seem to make overall.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That's most interesting Ankerson and in part I agree with you. That one volcano in Hawaii has been constantly active since 1983. I think it's called Kilauea >> and it hasn't let up in decades. Thank GOD it's confined to an island.

There are so many dangers present that doesn't fit the mainstream narrative and it really spooks me at times. I could site about a dozen other examples.

Really the only time we ever hear anything about any of these Seismic Zones is after the damage is done most of the time.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:45 pm
That's most interesting Ankerson and in part I agree with you. That one volcano in Hawaii has been constantly active since 1983. I think it's called Kilauea >> and it hasn't let up in decades. Thank GOD it's confined to an island.

There are so many dangers present that doesn't fit the mainstream narrative and it really spooks me at times. I could site about a dozen other examples.

Really the only time we ever hear anything about any of these Seismic Zones is after the damage is done most of the time.

It's all about MONEY/revenue in the end so they down play them all they can.

Like building houses on the Eastern shore right in hurricane alley. Although people do have plenty of time to get out these days so that is not too bad...

Living in tornado alley..

All of those earthquake zones they downplay that people choose to live in.

Living anywhere near a volcano is completely insane IMO.

I mean people can and do what they choose to do in the end.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:10 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

Like building houses on the Eastern shore right in hurricane alley. Although people do have plenty of time to get out these days so that is not too bad...

Great points for sure. There is one you might get a laugh out of that they do over and over here in Missouri despite all the warnings and that you can't even buy homeowner's insurance in some cases. I'm talking about all the people here in Missouri that buy land on flood plains and even build houses on the flood plains as well. We have so many rivers, creeks, lakes and reservoirs here in Missouri and in many cases in really wet seasons all of those areas usually flood periodically.

Back in 1993 it was so horrible that the Red Cross and other big charities along with governmental agencies were forced to bail out so many of them. And YES the NEW MADRID SEISMIC ZONE will create massive flooding and alter major rivers as well as a wide range of other horrific acts of nature. 1993 was about the very worst flood year I remember in my lifetime. The Missouri River literally looked like an inland sea in certain places.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:25 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:10 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

Great points for sure. There is one you might get a laugh out of that they do over and over here in Missouri despite all the warnings and that you can't even buy homeowner's insurance in some cases. I'm talking about all the people here in Missouri that buy land on flood plains and even build houses on the flood plains as well. We have so many rivers, creeks, lakes and reservoirs here in Missouri and in many cases in really wet seasons all of those areas usually flood periodically.

Back in 1993 it was so horrible that the Red Cross and other big charities along with governmental agencies were forced to bail out so many of them. And YES the NEW MADRID SEISMIC ZONE will create massive flooding and alter major rivers as well as a wide range of other horrific acts of nature. 1993 was about the very worst flood year I remember in my lifetime. The Missouri River literally looked like an inland sea in certain places.

Sometimes it just makes no since at all what people do, even less when there is a history of problems in the areas.

When something does happen again in the areas I do not feel sorry for those people at all as it was their choice to live there etc.

They get what they get and put themselves at risk all on their own. Nobody held a gun to their heads and told them they had to live there.

Way too many Darwin award decisions IMO.
James Y

Post by James Y »

TBH, where I live is not far from the San Andreas fault. My house is the one I grew up in. There is no mortgage to pay. Of course, I suppose I could move somewhere away from here, but unfortunately, bad things can happen anywhere, whether earthquakes, fires, floods, tornados, hurricanes, landslides, etc. Or crime. Even if the location is considered low-risk in that sense. As far as the San Andreas fault, it’s a part of the Ring of Fire, and literally billions of people are at risk from that on both sides of the Pacific.

A good friend of mine and his family moved north to Placerville more than 20 years ago. It’s beautiful up there, but there is a huge fire risk. I’m sure they weren’t even thinking about that when they moved up there. But I would feel awful if something like that happened to them/their home.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:02 pm
TBH, where I live is not far from the San Andreas fault. My house is the one I grew up in. There is no mortgage to pay. Of course, I suppose I could move somewhere away from here, but unfortunately, bad things can happen anywhere, whether earthquakes, fires, floods, tornados, hurricanes, landslides, etc. Or crime. Even if the location is considered low-risk in that sense. As far as the San Andreas fault, it’s a part of the Ring of Fire, and literally billions of people are at risk from that on both sides of the Pacific.

A good friend of mine and his family moved north to Placerville more than 20 years ago. It’s beautiful up there, but there is a huge fire risk. I’m sure they weren’t even thinking about that when they moved up there. But I would feel awful if something like that happened to them/their home.

Jim

Jim,

The chances of anything massive happening in our lifetimes is not all that great.

People have to remember that humans lifespan is VERY short, not even a blip compared to the 4.5 Billion years the Earth has been here.

Take even the last Super Volcano eruption that was 75,000 years ago or so.

That was a VERY long time ago, there wasn't very many humans on the planet at that time for sure.

Watched a documentary on the Yellowstone Super Volcano and they just don't know as in they have no clue if it will explode in our lifetime or not.

The really scary thing is they have no idea how to predict if it was going to blow up. THEY HAVE NO CLUE.... :eek:

They do know however know what will happen when it does blow up again.

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yep. All they can do is watch the seismometers to see if they can detect movement of magma heading up. It's pretty new stuff so it's possible they might not see what they think they are seeing and learn something too late.

There are other supervolcanos. IIRC, mono lake in CA has one ? Naples in Italy has Phlegraean Fields caldera.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlegraean_Fields There are more and they all pose some danger.

I found in my readings that there have been substantial eruptions in Yellowstone that were not the whole supervolcano thing that ate a whole mountain range. I'm not sure how often they happen and at what point they themselves can trigger a full scale event. Supposedly one happened in or next to Yellowstone lake but that sort of thing is difficult to research online as everything vulcanism related about Yellowstone is about the big one.

There have even been questions raised about an enemy nation of the US attempting to trigger an eruption with a nuke or even more likely with "rods from god" ( tungsten telephone pole sized weapons dropped from high orbit that will have so much kinetic energy from pure speed they can reach depths of a half mile ) used to unzip the earth causing a tearing and release of magma which would spread to a maximum eruption.

:)

Joe
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:02 am
Yep. All they can do is watch the seismometers to see if they can detect movement of magma heading up. It's pretty new stuff so it's possible they might not see what they think they are seeing and learn something too late.

There are other supervolcanos. IIRC, mono lake in CA has one ? Naples in Italy has Phlegraean Fields caldera.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlegraean_Fields There are more and they all pose some danger.

I found in my readings that there have been substantial eruptions in Yellowstone that were not the whole supervolcano thing that ate a whole mountain range. I'm not sure how often they happen and at what point they themselves can trigger a full scale event. Supposedly one happened in or next to Yellowstone lake but that sort of thing is difficult to research online as everything vulcanism related about Yellowstone is about the big one.

There have even been questions raised about an enemy nation of the US attempting to trigger an eruption with a nuke or even more likely with "rods from god" ( tungsten telephone pole sized weapons dropped from high orbit that will have so much kinetic energy from pure speed they can reach depths of a half mile ) used to unzip the earth causing a tearing and release of magma which would spread to a maximum eruption.

Joe
Joe,

There are like 40 total with something like 14 active I believe.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:23 am
The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:02 am

Joe
Joe,

There are like 40 total with something like 14 active I believe.
OK let me see if I got this right? So there are 40 Super-Volcanos on planet Earth? I've was told that there were only 2 or 3 places on the planet similar to the Yellowstone park supervolcano>> or am I operating on bad information?

One thing positive about Yellowstone is that there are vents omitting steam and pressure all over that park. There would have to be pressure beyond belief to make that whole system to erupt I've been told as well?

Also I've heard recently that there are 93 active volcanos in the continent of Antarctica>> but yet there is hardly anything at all said about those.

I'm just saying that all I know about volcanos or seismic zones is what I've been told.