Z-Cut cuts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Z-Cut cuts

Post by Doc Dan »

I received my green, pointed serrated blade Z-Cut this week. I’ve used it for the last day and a half in the kitchen. I’ve cut apples, onions, a big roast, and other such things. It has done really well. The very thin, flexible, super sharp blade cuts extremely good. I was able to cut paper thin slices of onion just as a test. Because of the offset handle my knuckles stay clear of the cutting board.

I washed the knife and let it stand overnight on the towel without drying it off, just air drying. It did not even spot. sure, that’s no hardcore test, but my Spyderco K05SRD paring knife would have rusted. I’m just beginning to evaluate the BD1N steel but so far so good.

I really like this knife. I got it from knifeworks.com. Thank you Amber. I have to get a couple more.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
FullFlatMind

Re: Z-Cut cuts

Post by FullFlatMind »

Awesome! Nice to see one of these in the wild. I have a couple on order as Christmas gifts. The BD1N on my Manix 2 LW has been great so I am hoping for the same with these Z-Cuts. It does seem better than BD1 for edge retention and rust resistance.

I was hoping to see the Counter Puppies get released by now for gifts as well. I think KC has them available for pre-order.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I gave one to my dad for Father's Day and he loves it too. It's smaller than I thought it would be (which is my bad since I could've just looked up the dimensions) but cuts effortlessly. I really like giving inexpensive Spydercos as gifts!

Oooh thousandth post!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

The Z-cuts are wonderful pieces. I have 3 different flavors. They cut very good what is to be expected due to there thin stock. One of them has some rust on the blade. Not much but it is there. Don’t know how that spot developed. I throw them in the dishwasher after use and don’t bother to rinse them after use. No mercy! :D

My wife used them to cut cardboard. Maybe a little conversation with her is needed. :eek:

Congrats Jon with your 1000th post!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Cardboard, huh? That thin blade should glide right through it.

I’ve been using it again, today. Still no need of sharpening.

I like the design. Very practical.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:23 am
I gave one to my dad for Father's Day and he loves it too. It's smaller than I thought it would be (which is my bad since I could've just looked up the dimensions) but cuts effortlessly. I really like giving inexpensive Spydercos as gifts!

Oooh thousandth post!
Congrats, you made it to four digits! :)
Now go for five... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Our zcuts get used more than I anticipated.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

This is the way a paring knife should be. The K05 is a utility knife called a paring knife, by contrast. It’s a great design and gets used all the time. However, as a paring knife the Z Cut is better.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:10 pm
Cardboard, huh? That thin blade should glide right through it.

I’ve been using it again, today. Still no need of sharpening.

I like the design. Very practical.
Yeah, this design and steel should require no babying. This is a kitchen knife that’s meant to be used the way most people use their kitchen knives: for everything.

I would say “the way most people use their small kitchen knives,” but most people don’t use their large kitchen knives. In lots of households, this would be the only kitchen knife that ever got used, and therefore the only knife in the house that ever got used.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, same with us. I will use a large knife if needed, but my wife and others will grab these smaller knives every time.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
olywa

Post by olywa »

Your excellent picture of the SE makes it look like it's double beveled. Is that the case?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

olywa wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:19 am
Your excellent picture of the SE makes it look like it's double beveled. Is that the case?
No, that’s just a shadow. It’s chisel ground like nearly all serrated blades.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Good to hear! My wife asked me just last night to order some of these for the family. The SE sounds like just the ticket for all my non-knife people fam. :)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

mb1 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:14 pm
Good to hear! My wife asked me just last night to order some of these for the family. The SE sounds like just the ticket for all my non-knife people fam. :)
You won’t be disappointed.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

A few weeks ago, I got a bunch of these to give as Christmas gifts to my family.. and of course, one for myself. I was surprised initially that they were much daintier than I was expecting. The handles are small-ish in my hand (though not uncomfortably so) and the blades so thin that they are quite flexible.. Not that there's anything wrong with that really, I was just expecting the knife to be a little beefier..

But oh man does the thing cut!! It's like a laser beam through anything it comes in contact with! I'm very impressed with it in use. It's certainly not going to replace a larger chef's knife or anything, but it's quickly become my go-to for quickly cutting up onions, tomatoes, cheese, fruits, etc. I have the PE and am already thinking that I need a SE as well..

My only gripe is that I do wish the handle was slightly larger and more hand-filling, because I do have pretty large hands. But its existing size hasn't really stopped me from using it at all, so I guess it's not that big of a deal. I would definitely recommend the z-cut, especially for the price.. just go into it knowing that it may be smaller than you're expecting..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I think the specs are listed at every place that sells them. If not, here you go.

Blade Length: 4.38"
Cutting Edge: 4.29"
Handle Length: 4.37"
Overall Length: 8.71"
Blade Material: CTS BD1N Stainless Steel
Blade Thickness: 0.05"
Blade Grind: Full-Flat
Blade Finish: Satin
Handle Material: Yellow Polypropylene
Handle Thickness: 0.42"
Weight: 1.0 oz.
Made in the USA
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'll be the dissenter and say that I don't like the design. I have one. It's so thin that it's as flexible as a fillet knife. But its primary grind is quite shallow so it's actually not that thin behind the edge. It's the worst of both worlds. Just a bad design.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I’m sorry you feel that way. We love ours. It gets a daily workout and has replaced most of the other knives we use.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Doc,

As the designer, I felt best to be quiet, lest I be impeached?

sal.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Great gifts. Love my pointy SpyderEdge black handle, which is my go-to steak / prime rib cutter. The packaging makes for a nice sheath.