Gentleman EDC / Groomsman Gift

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jasmar0331

Gentleman EDC / Groomsman Gift

Post by Jasmar0331 »

Hi everyone...This is my first post here but I’ve been lurking for a while and couldn’t think of a better place to ask this question. So my best friend is getting married and he wants to get the groomsmen a nice knife as a gift. He’s looking for something all around including dressing it up. I recommended the SpydieChef. I think it fits that bill pretty decent but wanted you guys’ input. Let me know what you think about my choice or if you have a better idea. Thanks and happy to be here!

Semper Fidelis!
GiftedMisfit

Re: Gentleman EDC / Groomsman Gift

Post by GiftedMisfit »

The chaparral
Last edited by GiftedMisfit on Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There are really nice Chaparrals but they are pricey.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well, it depends on how much he wants to spend per knife. Spydiechefs would be around $220 each. You can get CF Chaparrals for around $130 each, the Rafir Noble version for $133 and, right now, both the plain stepped and blue stepped titanium versions can be found on closeout for around $200. All three are classy looking little gent's knives and great EDCs.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jlw

Post by jlw »

Maybe the SS Kopa (which is on sale now) and get them engraved.

-James
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I agree Chaparral's in all variations are nice. Another nice looking/classy knife in my opinion is the Delica Pakkawood version from KnifeCenter.

Even cheaper, and actually what I carried on my wedding day last summer is the Centofante (around $70 I believe)

Depends how much of "knife people" the groomsmen are. If their not really into knives, if I were your friend I would avoid something as pricey as the Spydiechef...which is a bit more robust to be a classy carry. At least to me!
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

The Chaparrals mentioned above are slim and classy. Great option as a gent knife. The blue stepped titanium version is absolutely gorgeous and the current clearance price is less than a Spydiechef.

Another great option that would cost between the Chap and Spydiechef is the Kapara. Beautiful CF scales, wire clip, and a unique blade shape. The Mantra 2 flipper has titanium handles and M4 steel. It's on sale at most places for less than the Chap.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I hate to ask this but something you may want to consider is, would any of these guys have an issue with their knife being made in Taiwan? Lots of folks still consider that a sign of poor quality. On the other hand it's an opportunity to educate someone if you think they'd be open minded about it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Another vote for the Chaparral. Even the lightweight version (which is also the cheapest) looks rather classy for an FRN knife.
The Chap is an amazing slicer, offers a lot of edge for the small package and for me very good ergos despite it being so slim.
CTS HXP steel is the icing on that cake.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Another vote for Chaparral. Even non knife people are not scared by this little cute knife. Carbon fiber version or LW are both good looking and quite affordable.
Other than that, Sage could be a good choice, you can get Sage 1 for quite a good price.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

SpydieChef? Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely a great knife, but "gentleman edc" certainly doesn't jump to mind when I think of it..

As others have said, I think the Chaparral would be a great choice. When I have to "dress up," I usually carry my "Stealth" Ti Chap, which I think is really classy looking.

Or, perhaps a Native, or Sage if you wanted something a little bigger.. Idk, I guess it depends on what you think the group will enjoy.

I suppose there's no wrong choice when it comes to Spyderco.. I'd have been happy to have received any Spyderco knife as a groomsman's gift in the weddings that I was in..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

For a small gents knife, I can think of nothing better than the Baby Horn.

It's my favorite in that category. If not that, the Mantra 2 is nice and on sale. It might take more blade care than a non-knife person would want to deal with.

I would go Baby Horn.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Kapara is really nice, its unique. Also like most collaberations it will probably only be around for a few years unril its discontinued. So It might be more special to them years from now. Of course Ive been suprised the spydiechef hasnt been discoed yet as well.

I might suggest going with a chapparal lightweight or native 5 and pay a little extra for laser engraving on the blade. Some of the online retailers offer this and it would set them apart from the normal versions.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’m going to take a different tac, here. Each one will have different needs and circumstances. I’d get the a Dragonfly Salt serrated edge with their names engraved from knifeworks. Or, regular black Dragonflies withe their names.

This would give them something extremely light I could be carried even in a suit pocket, or it would be suitable for bluejeans. It would give them something that is a regular pocket knife and not too big so as to be socially unacceptable.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Some of the nicer delicas would be a good choice I think.
Like the ones with the wood handles, carbon fiber handles, Damascus blades, etc.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I think the advice to go smaller and away from the Spydiechef is a good idea. If I got a Spydiechef as a groomsman's gift I'd be happy because I like Spydercos, but I'd also think hmm...this? A nice Delica was the first thing to flash through my mind when I read the title of this thread, and would be a heck of a lot cheaper.
Last edited by JonLeBlanc on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
anycal

Post by anycal »

Another vote for Chaparral.

Per D’s point, the Cruwear Native 5 is still available from Knifecenter. Golden made, great steel, and the smooth scales make it formal-ish. The steel may not matter to them, but perhaps they’ll start looking into it and realize what they have ;)
Peter
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

First thought is a Delica, maybe one with a scale color that aligns with the wedding colors? Second thought is a Chap
Monty

Post by Monty »

Techno 2, blade short enough to be legal most places.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Chapparal LW. The Sun and Moon Chapparal would have been nice but it isn't out yet. The G10 Dragonfly is another that would be cool. Maybe the BBS M390 Delica.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red