Spyderco Value Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
justjohn

Spyderco Value Knives

Post by justjohn »

I would like some honest feed back/recommendations on the Spyderco Value Folders line of knives please. Chinese made merchandise has never interested me, but knowing the high production standards of Spyderco has caused me to want look into this. Thanks in advance for any and all help! :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
steelcity16

Re: Spyderco Value Knives

Post by steelcity16 »

I have owned most of the flagship models out of Golden and Seki at one time or another and the Chinese made Tenacious remains a favorite of mine. It is a fantastic design and the quality is top notch. It really is an unbeatable value. I'm very excited for the Tenacious Lightweight and will be getting one as soon as they launch! I'd recommend starting here.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The value is very good. You won't get cutting edge steel choices, but for a budget knife, they're really, really good.

FWIW, I've recently bought several Chinese knives off eBay (actual original Chinese knives from Chinese designers--not just the dumb knock off copies of other knives) and I've been very favorably impressed with them. I've gotten some that rival $250 US and European knives for $100. I am revolted by the blatant copying, but there is at least one Chinese manufacturer that's making legitimate non-copy designs, using Chinese designers (with actual credit to the designers and makers marks).
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The Alcyone, Tenacious and Bow River are all excellent Chinese-made spydercos. I'm sure there are many more, but I have personal experience with these. For the price, the quality is top notch and they are all excellent designs IMO. As was said above, you won't get high-end steel, but even Spyderco's 8cr13mov seems better than the rest.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

They're not flashy like the lower end Kershaw's and crkts, but they have solid spyderco ergos and design
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I think one gets quite a lot of knife for a great price in the Value line. I don't own one but I got my brother an Efficient for Christmas once and it's a great little knife and he likes it a lot. It was one of the OD green Sprints. Very good build quality for the price. I reckon one can't go wrong with them.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
vivi

Post by vivi »

All of my experiences with Chinese made Spydercos and Byrds have been positive.

The Bow River is very well made. I find it excels at cutting board work and food prep in general, handy knife for the camp site.

The Cara Cara 2 is my favorite take on the Endura handle. It's like a full flat grind Endura 3 with an index choil and 4 way clip. Lots of scale material options, including the recently discontinued but still available Ti.

The Crossbill is a good budget Hawkbill. Cheap way to try out a unique blade shape before investing in a pricier option like the Tasman Salt 2.

The Tenacious and Resilience are both well made. Great blade geometry with an edge going all the way back to the handle. Good ergos, 4 way clip and a well executed liner lock.

I've gifted a few Cara Cara's and Efficients over the years. Always get a positive response after they've been used.

I'm less inclined to buy Chinese knives from any brand the more I become aware of their approach to global economics, but the quality on all thrse models has never been a question for me.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:13 pm
I’m wondering the same thing.

I’ve been tempted many a time by the Spyderco Resilience but I have just never pulled the trigger on one. I really enjoy large folders.

Does anyone know if there is a quality difference between Spyderco’s 8Cr13MoV and Byrd’s?
I've had really good experiences with Spyderco's 8CR. I have very little (and a fairly long time ago) experience with Byrds to compare, but I've definitely liked Spyderco's 8CR better than Kershaw's.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

The Byrd Cara Cara 2 at around $20 is one of the best deals out there on a folder. Nice, thin stock. Secure lock. The two I bought were sharp out of the box. I gave one to a relative in Scouts. It seems to have served him well for the last year.

The $30 Bow River fixed blade is really nice. The leather sheath is well done too.

I have no problem with well heat treated 8Cr. Spyderco does a good job. It holds an edge just fine and sharpens easily. Its corrosion resistance is also pretty decent.
acer

Post by acer »

Well worth a look , try . To be honest I am quite partial to the Persistence . Go for it👍
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

My experience with my Resilience, Efficient, Bow River and Byrd Rescue have been excellent. All are 'merely' 8cr13mov- plenty good for most less-demanding tasks or for those happy to touch up frequently.

I still mostly prefer my mid and top-shelf Spydies, but find these value models, well... valuable.

I've intended to get an Emphasis, but haven't yet. I appreciate Ed Schempp's influences on the Efficient family, altho I don't totally love liner locks. In that regard, the Byrd backlocks appeal to me. Have also meant to get a Harrier, but have yet to do that either.

You should try out the designs that appeal to you (and/or gift recipients).
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The bow river is a no brainer for 30 dollars. Its a Phil Wilson design, comes with a leather sheath, and the fit and finish on the handle was really good.

I just got a resilience and it impresses me for a budget knife. Its just good. Action is good, fit and finish is ok. I liked it out of the box which is really the only part that matters.

On the other hand I just got an emphasis and I liked it less out of the box compared to the resilience. The action doesnt feel as good, and the liner on one side isnt flush with the g10 or the backspacer at the butt of the handle. It is however a pretty good design so im letting this stuff slide.

If you want a cheaper knife they are fine. Just keep in mind at 3 times the price of a tenacious you are well into USA made g10 model territory. And they feel like they are easily over 3 times the quality.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I have Bow River and also a Waterway, and to be honest, there is not really 3 times better finish on Waterway. I paid around 50 € for Bow River and about 150 € for Waterway. Bow River has as good finish as you can get, plus sheath that you can throw on custom knife and noone will complain. Steel-wise, there is a big difference, handle is completely different, more process with Waterway handle, but the Bow River is really good.
I mean, Bow River impressed me more out of box then my Police 4 G10.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
vivi

Post by vivi »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:39 pm
I Have a Cara Cara 2 but I need to Locktight the pivot because it keeps loosening and the clip screws won’t all tighten up. I have to say the ergonomics are even better with out the clip. It’s my go to when there is a potential for damage.

Own a Bow River also. It’s a beautiful well made knife. Honestly haven’t used it enough to do anything but a light touch up

I guess I should have phrased my question differently. Spyderco vs Byrd 8cr13mov...

is the steel sourced from the same place/factory?

Is the heat treat the same?

These may be trade secrets but if not I’m very curious to know if someone has knowledge on the subject.
I've never noticed a performance difference between Spyderco 8Cr and Byrd 8Cr. I'm not Sal but I'd put $$ on them being the same steel from the same source with different holes cut into the blades.
:unicorn
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I find them good value for the money. My favorite is the Byrd Raven 2 though.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Holy crap....thanks to all. I knew this form would provide true and honest reviews. There is only one thing left for me to do......BUY! :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I think the Spyderco value knives that I've handled are very well done. There is a lot to choose from in the price range, but I think the ergos and rock-solid construction on some of the Spyderco offerings.. Tenacious, Resilience, Efficient, etc.. set them apart from most of the competition. I carry them much less because I prefer more expensive models, but they are absolutely good to go as functional tools.. I keep them in my tool bag, car, etc as "beater" knives and they haven't let me down.

And the Bow River at $32 is just a no-brainer.. buy one!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

The Tenacious, Persistence, etc. are great value folders. The Tenacious was my first Spyderco and it still sees some use. I will probably hand it down to my oldest son soon. 8Cr13Mov is a good, effective steel for normal use and is easy to sharpen.

The Bow River is a must, as others have stated. The price makes it hard to resist. It is an excellent kitchen, fishing, and camping knife.