Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by JuPaul »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:46 pm
Knife Center pre-order was my only chance to get one at regular retail price. Passed and have been kicking myself ever since ... now I find out needlessly!

CG
Yeah, I placed my pre-order within an hour of it going live, and I'm pretty sure it was up for a day at least. They must have gotten waaay fewer than expected.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

Yeah...I’m done with them after this. DLT, St. Nick’s, GPK & White Mountain Knives have all been great to me...that’s where I’ll send my money.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I also preordered pretty early and missed out. For years I’ve heard of people missing out on the KC pre orders but always “made the cut”. This is the first knife I really wanted, and looked for several different opportunities to buy, and still missed out.

My theory is KC pre sold what they expected to receive from the typical sprint run quantity and Spyderco simply didn’t produce enough to meet expectations and so they over sold.

I ended up trying out the Native in cw instead and haven’t carried another knife since I received it so maybe this is all a blessing in disguise for me. But I still would have liked to try out the shaman.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Does anyone know for certain how many were produced? As scarce as they were I suspect a smaller lot than people are talking.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:06 pm
Does anyone know for certain how many were produced? As scarce as they were I suspect a smaller lot than people are talking.

CG

Definitely feels like way less than 1,200 were ultimately sold. Hopefully the OD Green Cru-Carta Shamans are being cranked out in massive numbers as we speak! And if they want to double that run by adding a DLC variation I doubt many will complain. Ideally both satin and DLC will be production models by early 2020.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:56 pm
cycleguy wrote:

CG

Definitely feels like way less than 1,200 were ultimately sold. Hopefully the OD Green Cru-Carta Shamans are being cranked out in massive numbers as we speak! And if they want to double that run by adding a DLC variation I doubt many will complain. Ideally both satin and DLC will be production models by early 2020.
I thought I remember Sal saying they'd be at least a year out. I was also under the impression they were going to use the same canvas micarta handle just another similar blade steel
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:11 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
cycleguy wrote:

CG

I thought I remember Sal saying they'd be at least a year out. I was also under the impression they were going to use the same canvas micarta handle just another similar blade steel

There were lots of quotes from Sal at that time in that crazy thread and on bladeforums as well! :D Initially he said that they decided to do a new run in OD Green with Cruwear and one in Denim Micarta with a TBD (K390 was hinted at and the most requested by far) steel. Then later on he said there would be a run of the Brown Micarta with a complimentary steel that many speculated meant PD1. Not sure if the latter cancelled out either of the former, but hopefully we see all three!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:16 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:
cycleguy wrote:

CG

There were lots of quotes from Sal at that time in that crazy thread and on bladeforums as well! :D Initially he said that they decided to do a new run in OD Green with Cruwear and one in Denim Micarta with a TBD (K390 was hinted at and the most requested by far) steel. Then later on he said there would be a run of the Brown Micarta with a complimentary steel that many speculated meant PD1. Not sure if the latter cancelled out either of the former, but hopefully we see all three!
This is that crazy thread and here's where he came out and said they'd do another run of canvas micarta with a complimentary steel

viewtopic.php?p=1374441#p1374441

I'd love to see where/when he said they were going to do a run of OD green & Cruwear. I watch these threads as closely as anyone and I don't remember that. There has been a lot going on in my life lately, so it's certainly possible I'm simply not remembering. As much as I like the brown canvas micarta I think I'd rather have OD green & Cruwear.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:25 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

This is that crazy thread and here's where he came out and said they'd do another run of canvas micarta with a complimentary steel

I'd love to see where/when he said they were going to do a run of OD green & Cruwear. I watch these threads as closely as anyone and I don't remember that. There has been a lot going on in my life lately, so it's certainly possible I'm simply not remembering. As much as I like the brown canvas micarta I think I'd rather have OD green & Cruwear.

From a similarly crazy thread over on bladeforums...

"Hi,

My apologies for the frustration. 1) employees are limited and most don't buy small runs and certainly not for resale. That is a fire-able offense.
2) We really had no idea that the Sprint would be in such high demand. Early complaints on the intro model has us in doubt. 3) we working on a follow up in Micarta, Green and Denim Blue, With Cruwear and another steel. We plan on larger numbers.

sal"

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sha ... 45/page-15
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:51 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

"Hi,

My apologies for the frustration. 1) employees are limited and most don't buy small runs and certainly not for resale. That is a fire-able offense.
2) We really had no idea that the Sprint would be in such high demand. Early complaints on the intro model has us in doubt. 3) we working on a follow up in Micarta, Green and Denim Blue, With Cruwear and another steel. We plan on larger numbers.

sal"

Yep missed that one! :) I haven't been on BF as much as I used to be. Not as much time for forums lately so I mostly visit this one. Hopefully we'll see the OD green &/or denim blue but my guess is they ultimately decided on another run with the brown canvas micarta. I'd find it hard to believe they'd do all 3 but I guess we'll find out. I think doing the brown again would give a lot more people who didn't get one the first time more of a chance to get one. I know I won't try for a second but I sure would go for OD green or blue denim
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:13 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:51 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

"Hi,

sal"

Yep missed that one! :) I haven't been on BF as much as I used to be. Not as much time for forums lately so I mostly visit this one. Hopefully we'll see the OD green &/or denim blue but my guess is they ultimately decided on another run with the brown canvas micarta. I'd find it hard to believe they'd do all 3 but I guess we'll find out. I think doing the brown again would give a lot more people who didn't get one the first time more of a chance to get one. I know I won't try for a second but I sure would go for OD green or blue denim

I'm down for any and all versions and hope they do all 3 with some DLC mixed in. It would be awesome if Sal would give an update on plans with some ETAs since he mentioned a few different possibilities. Also interested to hear if there are any other models that are slated for the Cru-Carta treatment. I think the Seki models like the Delica, Endura, Dragonfly, Jester, Endela, Police LW and new Straight Spined Stretch would all be awesome in this combo. I'm with you on the OD Green or Denim over the Brown as well!
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

It's great that they are listening to the fans and making another similar run. Love that about Spyderco. I hope the demand will lead to micarta sprints in other models. I'd love to see the whole native line.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

I missed out on the Crucarta Shaman too. Having a hard time with the idea of $300 plus secondhand but its an itch thats hard to scratch...
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:55 pm
cycleguy wrote:
Knife Center pre-order was my only chance to get one at regular retail price. Passed and have been kicking myself ever since ... now I find out needlessly!

CG
Yeah, I placed my pre-order within an hour of it going live, and I'm pretty sure it was up for a day at least. They must have gotten waaay fewer than expected.
I can't say enough bad things about putting in a pre-order at Knifecenter for a Sprint. This bogus arrangement almost cost me a knife (not this one, I knew better by the time this came along). I think it is irresponsible of them to even offer a pre-Order when they have no idea how many they are going to get, and clearly they have no idea. It is nice in theory, but broken in practice. They are a good seller otherwise.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:38 am
JuPaul wrote:
cycleguy wrote:

CG
I can't say enough bad things about putting in a pre-order at Knifecenter for a Sprint. This bogus arrangement almost cost me a knife (not this one, I knew better by the time this came along). I think it is irresponsible of them to even offer a pre-Order when they have no idea how many they are going to get, and clearly they have no idea. It is nice in theory, but broken in practice. They are a good seller otherwise.
Yeah, I definitely learned not to trust a pre-order. If I ever do it again, it'll be as a backup plan only.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
cycleguy wrote:

CG

Yeah, honestly, pre-orders should be forbidden as part of Spyderco's MAP pricing agreement terms. What is the point aside from pissing off customers?? Most knifes they put up for pre-order are super hot and will sell out the day they are listed, so the buyer isn't getting the knife any sooner, which is typically the whole point of doing a pre-order. Time to end this pointless practice. Dealers need to just wait and see what they get, and then update the inventory on their site based on what they actually receive. The rest will take care of itself through the in-stock email notification systems most dealers have, the buyers who sit around all day pounding refresh (guilty!), and the bots that scoop them up the second they go live.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Not saying it's a perfect system but pre-orders through KC have been good for me. Even so, I never rely on it. If it's a knife I really want I always have a back up plan. As soon as the knife is in stock I look for it to become available from another dealer. If I find one and get my order placed, I cancel my pre-order with KC as soon as it gets delivered.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:03 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
cycleguy wrote:

CG

Yeah, honestly, pre-orders should be forbidden as part of Spyderco's MAP pricing agreement terms. What is the point aside from pissing off customers?? Most knifes they put up for pre-order are super hot and will sell out the day they are listed, so the buyer isn't getting the knife any sooner, which is typically the whole point of doing a pre-order. Time to end this pointless practice. Dealers need to just wait and see what they get, and then update the inventory on their site based on what they actually receive. The rest will take care of itself through the in-stock email notification systems most dealers have, the buyers who sit around all day pounding refresh (guilty!), and the bots that scoop them up the second they go live.
Now there is an idea! A knife buying bot!! I could do it, I am a programmer .... (I won't).

What Knifecenter could do, along with their pre-order setup is to send you a response email telling you:

"Your preorder for the XXXXX has been received, and you are number 4572 in line!"

Then you would know how hopeless (or not) you are. Ha ha ha!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:18 pm
Not saying it's a perfect system but pre-orders through KC have been good for me. Even so, I never rely on it. If it's a knife I really want I always have a back up plan. As soon as the knife is in stock I look for it to become available from another dealer. If I find one and get my order placed, I cancel my pre-order with KC as soon as it gets delivered.

This has to be a pain for them as well. Dealing with cancelled pre-orders and customers who pre-ordered with a credit card that is now cancelled or maxed or whatever and gets declined. I really don't understand why they bother. It's not like they are selling additional units or generating additional profit. If anything they are losing long term customers and creating a horriblly inefficient process for themselves.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:53 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:18 pm

This has to be a pain for them as well. Dealing with cancelled pre-orders and customers who pre-ordered with a credit card that is now cancelled or maxed or whatever and gets declined. I really don't understand why they bother. It's not like they are selling additional units or generating additional profit. If anything they are losing long term customers and creating a horriblly inefficient process for themselves.
They don't charge you until they're ready to ship your order. I do see your point though. All I know is it's worked well for me so I'll continue to do it