Oh Where Oh Where Has Our Little SEF Gone...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

Re: Oh Where Oh Where Has Our Little SEF Gone...

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’d certainly miss SEF if he didn’t return. Half his posts made me shake my head, but the other half made me think.

We’ll have to send out a search party into the Scissors Forums ....
James Y

Post by James Y »

SEF has a lot of curiosity about all types of things, which is a good thing. When you lose your curiosity, you lose your sense of wonder. So his constant questioning is great, even though a few of SEF's questions have left me scratching my head. :).

I'm not sure if anyone can truly rate someone's weirdness by their posts alone. My posts probably don't show it, but in real life, I'm likely one of the 'weirder' people on the forum.

SEF seems to be an idealist, which sometimes makes the status quo more upsetting. Perhaps he will find his way back, but if not, I wish him the best.

Jim
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

SEF, Come Back:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I guess it’s true. SEF is gone. :(
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, it’s too bad. I wonder if he’d join under another user name?

I often see an article and think “SEF would like this.”
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:18 am

I noticed he has logged in at least once since leaving. That was about a month ago. Perhaps he hasn't completely abandoned the forums yet.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm truly sad that he is gone apparently. I used to have a lot of side conversations with him. He's a really likable guy and I hope he comes to his senses and makes his way back soon, I really don't get it at all.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I miss our friend SEF. The Forum isn’t the same without him. :(

Hope he’s well and comes back soon. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:18 am

Even if he came back with an alias he would out himself with his first post. SEF is very unique. I loved reading his stuff because I couldn't predict where it was going.
Justin
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I will miss his posts and off line conversations. He is a courteous and intelligent young man.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

MichaelScott wrote: I will miss his posts and off line conversations. He is a courteous and intelligent young man.
The Meat man wrote: SEF, giving up your interest in knives like that is exactly what the anti-knife people want you to do. Don't fall into their trap!
Do what Naperville suggested: join Knife Rights or some other knife advocacy organization. Show your support and be proud of your knife hobby!

And besides, if you're not around here who else will initiate all the discussions about new nanotechnology? ;)
Haha I agree. His threads and posts I really enjoyed.

Have sent a PM or two since he'd lefts us, but I might not be doing something correctly.

Basically, I told him that no reply was necessary, but wished him well -- I said that he's his own man, I respect that... but if there's a chance he does return, that would be great.

Forums really aren't the same without him.

-- SB / BRUCE
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Does anyone even know why SpyderedgeForever left the forum? I used to chat with him off line about once every two weeks or so and always enjoyed his input. This really baffles me. I hope all is going well with him at this time.

He always brought up some of the most interesting topics and was a really good contributor here at Spyderco.com.

This is really a confusing mystery. I've heard rumors over the years why certain people left the forum but I've not even heard any rumors as to why SEF left us. My personal message to him is>> YOU CAN COME BACK ANY TIME NOW :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, some people attacked him often and hurt his feelings. I don’t know whether he just got sick of it, or if there was something else.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:19 am
Well, some people attacked him often and hurt his feelings. I don’t know whether he just got sick of it, or if there was something else.
Well I hope he gets over that really quickly. Because if I let that kind of non-sense bother me I would have left 14 years ago. It seems like I get a lot more detractors on any of these forums versus how many good friends I've made>> but I believe if people are honest that's probably about true with any of us.

Really that's just how it is with life in general. But I'm actually thankful knowing who is really phony and no good up front rather than being Judasized or back stabbed by them later. But again that's just life. My late dad always told me that through life you'll make far more enemies than you will friends>> and most of the time people can count their true, authentic friends they make in life with fingers on one hand. As I get older I now realize that is 100% accurate unfortunately. But I would rather know it than not to know it.

Life is just that way. I personally believe our elections are totally rigged for the most part>> and you wouldn't believe all the **** I've caught over that opinion. Everyone has got to realize that's just how humans are for the most part. And one needs to develop a thick skin and just move on. I'm hoping that SEF comes back and blows all of that stuff off. He's actually got more friends here at Spyderville than he probably realizes.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:19 am
I thought it all started regarding something to do with knife laws?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

He left because he was “tired and saddened by the constant attacks against knives and ridiculous bans on knives around the world.” He no longer wanted to be associated with knives in any way.

Here is his departing post -
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:55 pm
Thank you, Joe, Bloke, and others for your help on understanding this. Well, this helps me make my decision. I'm done with knives altogether. From here on out, if I need to cut something, I'm sticking to scissors, except for a basic kitchen knife. My reason: I am so tired and saddened by the constant attacks against knives and ridiculous bans on knives around the world, that I don't want anything to do with knives, folding or fixed, any more. Thank you all for the great discussions we have had over the years and all of the cool knife pictures and everything.

Ignore any post I made about looking forward to any newly-released knife. I'll go for something else, perhaps a brand new pair of quality-made scissors instead. At least scissors are a controversy-free tool.

G`day, friends.
-Nick :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Somebody necroed a thread recently and I saw one of SEFs posts and thought it was recent. I got a little excited but then saw the date. :(

I hope he comes back around soon. :(
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If he really thinks scissors are controversy-free, he has a lot to learn.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I liked SEF’s curiosity about so many subjects.

However, I always wonder about when someone makes a dramatic announcement that they are leaving a forum forever (and, in this case, also giving up knives). I’ve seen similar things happen a few times with some posters on other, totally different forums. Why make a big production out of leaving? Does it really mean leaving? This is not a put-down; I’m genuinely curious. I’m not a member of many other online forums, but the few I’ve left, I simply stopped frequenting and posting to. I never felt the need to announce my departure. The only exception I would make would be for a few online friends I’d made there, in which case I’d have done it in PMs.

Jim