Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Earth is round and orbits the sun. FACTS.

Post by Ankerson »

Mad Mac wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:25 pm
I remember the coming ice age.

Then there was the hole in the ozone layer and the greenhouse effect that would destroy the earth.
Now it turns out that greenhouse gasses actually cool the stratosphere and have nothing to do with climate change.
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/blogs ... g-related/

They kept changing it until something took hold to make them money. ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:00 am
There are people who believe the earth is flat because they think they are too clever. They say that, since we are being lied to every day by the media about so many things, that means that the earth being spherical is just another piece of propaganda foisted on everyone. Yes, the media tells MANY lies, but if you just use your brain, any semi-intelligent person should be able to be aware that the earth is spherical, even if it isn’t a perfect, evenly-formed sphere like a basketball.
Great overall points Jim. What does confuse me is in this debate of "Flat Earthers" is that I can't figure who if anyone stands to gain anything from that narrative. Because usually if something gets revealed as a con or a hoax you can usually find a money trail associated with it. But I don't see any money trails or any motivation based on greed or power either for that matter. The Flat Earth movement is for all intent and purposes has got to be some type of mind control psy-ops.

Let's say for the sake of conversation that you truly have a lot of people who are torn between whether or not the earth is round/spherical/ heliocentric or some type of a disc shaped/ flat land mass just hanging freely in space. When push come to shove what the **** difference would it make anyway???

To me GOD almighty has already revealed to me that we live in a solar system with many other round/spherical planets. And with that said why would earth be made flat/disc shaped when all the other planets are round/spherical>> it just doesn't hold any water>> it makes absolutely no sense what so ever. How could all the trillions of gallons of water in the oceans be contained in a flat earth? It makes no sense at all. Truly when you deep think the issue it's just simply not logical at all. You would have day and night at the same times over the entire earth if these people were correct. You wouldn't even need time zones>> I could go on and on.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:07 pm
James Y wrote:
There are people who believe the earth is flat because they think they are too clever. They say that, since we are being lied to every day by the media about so many things, that means that the earth being spherical is just another piece of propaganda foisted on everyone. Yes, the media tells MANY lies, but if you just use your brain, any semi-intelligent person should be able to be aware that the earth is spherical, even if it isn’t a perfect, evenly-formed sphere like a basketball.
Great overall points Jim. What does confuse me is in this debate of "Flat Earthers" is that I can't figure who if anyone stands to gain anything from that narrative. Because usually if something gets revealed as a con or a hoax you can usually find a money trail associated with it. But I don't see any money trails or any motivation based on greed or power either for that matter. The Flat Earth movement is for all intent and purposes has got to be some type of mind control psy-ops.

Let's say for the sake of conversation that you truly have a lot of people who are torn between whether or not the earth is round/spherical/ heliocentric or some type of a disc shaped/ flat land mass just hanging freely in space. When push come to shove what the **** difference would it make anyway???

To me GOD almighty has already revealed to me that we live in a solar system with many other round/spherical planets. And with that said why would earth be made flat/disc shaped when all the other planets are round/spherical>> it just doesn't hold any water>> it makes absolutely no sense what so ever. How could all the trillions of gallons of water in the oceans be contained in a flat earth? It makes no sense at all. Truly when you deep think the issue it's just simply not logical at all. You would have day and night at the same times over the entire earth if these people were correct. You wouldn't even need time zones>> I could go on and on.

Logic doesn't have anything to do with it. ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:53 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:07 pm
James Y wrote:

Logic doesn't have anything to do with it. ;)
A lot of beliefs nowadays have zero to do with logic, only feeling.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Mad Mac wrote:

Then there was the hole in the ozone layer and the greenhouse effect that would destroy the earth.
Now it turns out that greenhouse gasses actually cool the stratosphere and have nothing to do with climate change.
The article you linked to only says that the ozone destroying gases like cfc’s have less overall effect on global warming.

NASA says:

“Global warming is the rise in average global surface temperature caused primarily by the build-up of human-produced greenhouses gases, mostly carbon dioxide and methane, which trap heat in the lower levels of the atmosphere.

There are some connections between the two phenomena.

For example, the CFCs that destroy ozone are also potent greenhouse gases, though they are present in such small concentrations in the atmosphere (several hundred parts per trillion, compared to several hundred parts per million for carbon dioxide) that they are considered a minor player in greenhouse warming. CFCs account for about 13% of the total energy absorbed by human-produced greenhouse gases.

The ozone hole itself has a minor cooling effect (about 2 percent of the warming effect of greenhouses gases) because ozone in the stratosphere absorbs heat radiated to space by gases in a lower layer of Earth’s atmosphere (the upper troposphere). The loss of ozone means slightly more heat can escape into space from that region.”

It’s interesting to note that NASA doesn’t say “alleged”, “believed to”, “thought to by some” etc etc, it says “is caused”.

Interesting topic to bring up in a flat-earthers thread.....
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

The earth must be flat, I've fallen off a few times......and always picked up by a Friend.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:32 am
Mad Mac wrote:

The article you linked to only says that the ozone destroying gases like cfc’s have less overall effect on global warming.

NASA says:

“Global warming is the rise in average global surface temperature caused primarily by the build-up of human-produced greenhouses gases, mostly carbon dioxide and methane, which trap heat in the lower levels of the atmosphere.

There are some connections between the two phenomena.

For example, the CFCs that destroy ozone are also potent greenhouse gases, though they are present in such small concentrations in the atmosphere (several hundred parts per trillion, compared to several hundred parts per million for carbon dioxide) that they are considered a minor player in greenhouse warming. CFCs account for about 13% of the total energy absorbed by human-produced greenhouse gases.

The ozone hole itself has a minor cooling effect (about 2 percent of the warming effect of greenhouses gases) because ozone in the stratosphere absorbs heat radiated to space by gases in a lower layer of Earth’s atmosphere (the upper troposphere). The loss of ozone means slightly more heat can escape into space from that region.”

It’s interesting to note that NASA doesn’t say “alleged”, “believed to”, “thought to by some” etc etc, it says “is caused”.

Interesting topic to bring up in a flat-earthers thread.....

NASA was the same ones who warned us about the ICE AGE coming back in the 70's.

So.....

Still waiting for that one to happen, it's been 41 years now and nothing.... ;)

I have been on pins and needles since 1978 waiting for the massive global cooling to happen and frozen tundra to appear so I can stock up on my winter clothes. ROFL

It's like waiting for the mail to get here with a new knife, standing by the window waiting.... :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ChrisinHove wrote:
NASA says:

No offense Chris, but it will be a cold day in **** before I consider any US Government agency a trusted source for factual information. Mind you, I'm not saying the earth may not currently be getting warmer even though where I live the last 6 years have been cooler than average year round. The earth has been going through warming and cooling cycles for as long as it has existed so there's no reason not to believe that it's going one way or the other right now. I'm just saying that, if it is warming now, the degree to which human activity (and particularly the percentage of that from developed countries vs that from the third world) is far less certain than those of certain political persuasions would have us believe.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Some people believe what they are told to believe and think they have to believe. ;)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:20 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
NASA says:

No offense Chris, but it will be a cold day in **** before I consider any US Government agency a trusted source for factual information. Mind you, I'm not saying the earth may not currently be getting warmer even though where I live the last 6 years have been cooler than average year round. The earth has been going through warming and cooling cycles for as long as it has existed so there's no reason not to believe that it's going one way or the other right now. I'm just saying that, if it is warming now, the degree to which human activity (and particularly the percentage of that from developed countries vs that from the third world) is far less certain than those of certain political persuasions would have us believe.
Haha! None taken, I assure you!

I heard the head of the World Metereological Organisation saying on the radio the other day that climate change was real, but not the doomsday scenario some parties are suggesting. I guess that depends how close you live to sea level, though.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:58 am
The Deacon wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
NASA says:

I heard the head of the World Metereological Organisation saying on the radio the other day that climate change was real, but not the doomsday scenario some parties are suggesting. I guess that depends how close you live to sea level, though.

All of the ice on the planet could melt and the sea level won't rise one inch.

The Earth is 2/3 water, the math just never added up on that one and it never will no matter how they try and cook it... One doesn't have to be a math genius to figure that one out...

It would have to rain for like 100 years straight to start making any sort of real difference in the sea levels.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:06 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
NASA says:

The Earth is 2/3 water, the math just never added up on that one.

It would have to rain for like 100 years straight to start making any sort of real difference in the sea levels.
Thanks Ankerson. I've thought for a long time that most of these "Climate Change Fearmongers" are operating on a lot of outright disinformation.

And it's true because most people don't realize just how massive the oceans are. It would take literally trillions upon trillions of gallons of water to even raise the sea levels so much as a fourth of a meter.

It's also interesting to note how many of the world's most brutal dictators and just outright evil people get on that environmental bandwagon and come up with some astounding and unbelievable statistics. Hitler and Charles Manson were both environmentalists for example..
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:12 am
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:06 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

The Earth is 2/3 water, the math just never added up on that one.

Thanks Ankerson. I've thought for a long time that most of these "Climate Change Fearmongers" are operating on a lot of outright disinformation.

And it's true because most people don't realize just how massive the oceans are. It would take literally trillions upon trillions of gallons of water to even raise the sea levels so much as a fourth of a meter.

It's also interesting to note how many of the world's most brutal dictators and just outright evil people get on that environmental bandwagon and come up with some astounding and unbelievable statistics. Hitler and Charles Manson were both environmentalists for example..

It took Millions of years of constant rain to fill up the oceans, MILLIONS...

And they think that little bit if ice is going to raise the ocean levels to any sort of level even near what they are trying to say?

The longer one thinks about it the funnier it gets...
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

With reference to ice cubes floating in a glass of water:

"The water level remains the same when the ice cube melts. A floating object displaces an amount of water equal to its own weight. Since water expands when it freezes, one ounce of frozen water has a larger volume than one ounce of liquid water."
https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae389.cfm

This would be true of the arctic, which has no land mass under it and is in essence one large floating ice cube.
The antarctic and glaciers which rest on a land mass would be a different matter.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Mad Mac wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:20 am
With reference to ice cubes floating in a glass of water:

"The water level remains the same when the ice cube melts. A floating object displaces an amount of water equal to its own weight. Since water expands when it freezes, one ounce of frozen water has a larger volume than one ounce of liquid water."
https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae389.cfm

This would be true of the arctic, which has no land mass under it and is in essence one large floating ice cube.
The antarctic and glaciers which rest on a land mass would be a different matter.

The difference wouldn't even be measurable...

In other words it would make no difference at all.

Would be like dropping a pin head drop of water into a glass of water, even less than that actually.

More like a drop of water in a bathtub filled with water to put things into perspective.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One factor that many of these "Climate Change" alarmists try to scare people with are the massive ice sheet of the continent of Antarctica. What they don't realize is that it took a really long time for any of that to accumulate to where it is now. Many people don't realize that the continent of Antarctica is one of the driest places on the planet. Also the Antarctic continent isn't going to melt anytime soon.

Just ask some of the US scientists that work at the McMurdo Weather station in Antarctica. You can't even go outside many times in the year it is so cold. Again those ice sheets as well as the ice sheets in Greenland and other extreme Polar regions aren't going to melt in our lifetimes.

As far as climate change????? The climate has been changing to one degree or another since I was a kid in the 1960s. I remember in the 1970s when they had everyone paranoid of the propellant in spray cans. And nothing significant ever happened from that scare either.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:53 am
One factor that many of these "Climate Change" alarmists try to scare people with are the massive ice sheet of the continent of Antarctica. What they don't realize is that it took a really long time for any of that to accumulate to where it is now. Many people don't realize that the continent of Antarctica is one of the driest places on the planet. Also the Antarctic continent isn't going to melt anytime soon.

Just ask some of the US scientists that work at the McMurdo Weather station in Antarctica. You can't even go outside many times in the year it is so cold. Again those ice sheets as well as the ice sheets in Greenland and other extreme Polar regions aren't going to melt in our lifetimes.

As far as climate change????? The climate has been changing to one degree or another since I was a kid in the 1960s. I remember in the 1970s when they had everyone paranoid of the propellant in spray cans. And nothing significant ever happened from that scare either.

Yeah Antarctica is one of the driest places on the planet.

But then anything resembling facts, logic or even common since has nothing to do with any of it when they are pushing their agendas.

All of it is cooked up by their paid for scientists to get the required results to validate the complete insanity of it.

FEAR sells, that really is the bottom line here.

I have been hearing this garbage for almost my entire life now and I am going on 55 now, OMG we are all going to die !!!!! By whatever they can cook up next.

1st it was the ICE AGE

Then:

Ozone layer

Acid Rain

Global Warming

Climate Change

Sea Levels rising

And who knows what they will push next...

Please.... :rolleyes:
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:03 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:53 am

Yeah Antarctica is one of the driest places on the planet.

But then anything resembling facts, logic or even common since has nothing to do with any of it when they are pushing their agendas.

All of it is cooked up by their paid for scientists to get the required results to validate the complete insanity of it.

FEAR sells, that really is the bottom line here.

I have been hearing this garbage for almost my entire life now and I am going on 55 now, OMG we are all going to die !!!!! By whatever they can cook up next.

1st it was the ICE AGE

Then:

Ozone layer

Acid Rain

Global Warming

Climate Change

Sea Levels rising

And who knows what they will push next...

Please.... :rolleyes:
You are so right. The message they’ve been giving out for decades is “Be afraid; be very afraid.”

Jim
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Wikipedia entry on rising sea level seems level headed about the variance in predictions.

“Between 1900 and 2016, the sea level rose by 16–21 cm (6.3–8.3 in).[2] More precise data gathered from satellite radar measurements reveal an accelerating rise of 7.5 cm (3.0 in) from 1993 to 2017,[3]:1554 which is a trend of roughly 30 cm (12 in) per century “

One mechanism they mention is the thermal expansion of sea water.

“Between 1993 and 2018, thermal expansion of the oceans contributed 42% to sea level rise; the melting of temperate glaciers, 21%; Greenland, 15%; and Antarctica, 8%”
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:17 am
The Wikipedia entry on rising sea level seems level headed about the variance in predictions.

“Between 1900 and 2016, the sea level rose by 16–21 cm (6.3–8.3 in).[2] More precise data gathered from satellite radar measurements reveal an accelerating rise of 7.5 cm (3.0 in) from 1993 to 2017,[3]:1554 which is a trend of roughly 30 cm (12 in) per century “

One mechanism they mention is the thermal expansion of sea water.

“Between 1993 and 2018, thermal expansion of the oceans contributed 42% to sea level rise; the melting of temperate glaciers, 21%; Greenland, 15%; and Antarctica, 8%”

Like I was saying, COMPLETE total BS/

The math doesn't add up and it NEVER will.

A drop of water into a bathtub filled with water is a realistic perspective....

When it starts to pour down rain 24/7 for the next 100 years globally I will start to worry...… A little...

The warmer water gets the faster it evaporates and gets into the atmosphere creating clouds and then rain replacing the water that evaporated.

Any NEW water would have to come up from the Earths core.... And that's just not happening.... For that to happen it would take conditions like they were over 3 Billion years ago on the planet. Life didn't exist then so...

Massive volcanic activity globally over millions of years created the atmosphere and then flooded it with moisture creating rain that eventually filled up the oceans over millions of years of constant rainfall.

NOTHING happens fast, it takes Millions of years for anything major to happen.

The Earth has been here for over 4.5 Billion years.

Not sure were these people think all the water came from, from outer space? Like someone had a huge jug of water and just poured it on the earth and filled up the oceans?

The so called experts totally disregard all the science that actually created the planet in the 1st place when they are fueling the agendas.

That's why NONE of it makes any since or it's not even remotely logical.