Calypso Jr in stock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Robbob

Calypso Jr in stock

Post by Robbob »

For some reason, National Knives has the Calypso Jr Super Blue in stock: https://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco ... rn-handle/
Robbob

Re: Calypso Jr in stock

Post by Robbob »

All gone now.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

It's on my top 5 EDC list. Recently retired it (temporarily?) to try out Salt 2 FS

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My Burgundy ZDP-189 Calypso JR. used to be my main EDC. But as time went on I needed a bigger knife. But the ZDP Caly Jr. was like having a little straight razor in your pocket.
As popular as that model has been over the years I'm really sort of surprised that it didn't become a permanent model.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:43 am
My Burgundy ZDP-189 Calypso JR. used to be my main EDC. But as time went on I needed a bigger knife. But the ZDP Caly Jr. was like having a little straight razor in your pocket.
As popular as that model has been over the years I'm really sort of surprised that it didn't become a permanent model.
Fashion changes.. This year seems to have been the year of the DLC/red scales "cap gun" knives

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I guess I lucked out when I bought mine last night! I've been dying to have another one of these.

I hope this one has better fit and finish than my first one. My main gripe was that the lockbar didn't sit flush when the knife was opened.

Here's to hoping!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:59 am
I guess I lucked out when I bought mine last night! I've been dying to have another one of these.

I hope this one has better fit and finish than my first one. My main gripe was that the lockbar didn't sit flush when the knife was opened.

Here's to hoping!
Unfortunately i haven't seen a single one that even approach an old Jess Horn in fit and finish..
That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with lockup and action on mine. It even drops close nowadays :)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:09 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:59 am

Here's to hoping!
Unfortunately i haven't seen a single one that even approach an old Jess Horn in fit and finish..
That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with lockup and action on mine. It even drops close nowadays :)
Well let's hope I get lucky! I would normally be anxiously awaiting shipping confirmation, but of course I have to head out of town before it will arrive...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

How do you keep that blade rusty? Never get sweaty, or caught in the rain? Clean ASAP after cutting anything moist?

I've only used the VG10 one
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm excited to try this steel out, though pretty much any review I've seen or read about has flaws with the knife itself. I'm going to let it patina as I go, maybe intentionally cut some steak and hope for that nice blueish/gray hue.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I hope they will release a super blue caly 3.5 Lightweight. I prefer slimmer knives. Superblue gets so sharp!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:50 am
I hope they will release a super blue caly 3.5 Lightweight. I prefer slimmer knives. Superblue gets so sharp!
Would be cool. I am curious if we'll see Japanese steel in the Taichung built LWs?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:49 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:50 am
Would be cool. I am curious if we'll see Japanese steel in the Taichung built LWs?
Unlikely, but stranger things have happened. I'd be a buyer.

-Thomas Jefferson
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I would go for the AEB-L in a Caly.