Who would like to see more 2mm thick blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

dd61999 wrote:The more time I spend in this hobby, The more a I realize I have no use for thick blades
That pretty well sums up my feelings too. I stopped using knives for doing things that broke tips off a long time ago. Thin works best for my usage!!

That said I am still eagerly anticipating the Techno which looks to have a pretty beefy blade on it. (Tuff too!) I am hoping the Techno will be a good hunting knife. I do like a little thicker blade when cleaning animals and knocking about in the woods. I too was raised on thin bladed scout knives and SAK's, and I never broke any of those blades even though I misused them horribly. Still, when out in the woods, I just have a little better comfort level with something a little thicker. Probably not necessary, just personal preference.

For every day use and carry, I find my thinner bladed knives to be easier to sharpen and better for the tasks that I normally use a pocketknife for. (food prep, opening mail, breaking down cardboard boxes, and cutting shrink wrap off skids.) My only problem with the chaparall is it will still be some time before I can afford to get one. :( Until then I have the Ladybug ZDP to play with.

Grizz
bh49

Post by bh49 »

gdwtvb wrote:I have the Ladybug ZDP to play with.

Grizz
Must be a great slicer, just a little small.
I never understand why little gents knife like Kopa need 3 mm stock, or why Caly3 need 3mm, when Delica and small Persian performing quite good with 2.5 mm.
Most likely I will get ZDP Ladybug, but I will really enjoy 2 mm FFG slicer with bigger blade, somewhere between 3 and 3.5" would be great.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Standard utility knife blades are 0.025" at the spine, not 0.025 mm. A dollar bill is 0.10 mm thick.
steeldust

Post by steeldust »

Spyderco knows how to make thin slicers. I have a KO4 with a distal taper that measures .047" (1.19mm) in the middle of the spine ( 6 1/2" blade). 1" from the tip it measures ( at the spine) .038" (.97mm) This mbs26 blade slices as well as my Japanese Nakiri in Super Blue that cost 10 times more than the KO4! If Spyderco made the Ko4 in cpm 3-v no one would worry about breaking it and edge holding would be awesome! Fingers would be in jeopardy. I think cutting with sharp, thin blades is a joy. I would like to see more slicers from Spyderco, including folders, fixed blades and especially Kitchen Knives. The kitchen is where I get to cut the most stuff!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I got my Squeak the other day, while the thickest part of the blade seems to be 3mm, this thing appears to be very thin behind the edge. I'd love to see someone get a measurement on it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
nativeleek

Re: Who would like to see more 2mm thick blades?

Post by nativeleek »

I never experienced any 2mm thick blade until I got my first Chaparral. Now I've become more and more addicted to thin blades. Thicker blades do make people feel safe because they are stronger. But considering what most people use their knives for, a 2mm thick blade is more than just enough.
Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Native 5, Sage 5, Chaparral, Techno 2, Positron, SpydieChef, Para 3, Lil' Native lockback
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I'm on board 100 %.
Started several threads already advocating for this (for example viewtopic.php?t=85342 )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

Same here... SAK or opinels are below 2mm and I can’t recall having seen one break under proper usage...

Would buy immediately any 2mm ffg se and pe blade at around 3/3.5 inches...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm slightly less interested in blade stock thickness and more interested that blade grinds are ran thinner behind the edge. Having a 2mm blade doesn't matter if the edge is overly thick, I'd just assume have 4mm with a thinner blade grind than 2mm and a thicker grind. At least with thicker blade stock you also have thicker tangs and more steel around the pivot and lock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Yeah I'm definitely up for more thin blades, bearing in mind the points D made above.

Also I like swedging to reduce spine width.

I have a working cane knife probably about 11"-12" long, which is 1.8mm - 1.6mm thick stock. Obviously it's not heat treated that hard, but it chops well, is quite rigid, and holds a decent enough edge.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I'd like something slightly over 2mm (maybe 2.5) and 0.010" behind the edge. Maybe 4V and something over 3 inches in length.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

In folders, thinner is almost always better for my uses. I generally don't buy anything over 3mm. More 2mm stock would be outstanding.