"Re-surface" Almite

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

"Re-surface" Almite

Post by Larry_Mott »

As the header says - is it possible to re-attach, for lack of better word the coating on a Almite handled knife?
Got a C19 as a gift yesterday that i'd love to bring back to as-new condition. It's not bad really, a couple of nicks and chips, but i have never heard or read if it is possible, should i want to.

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JD Spydo

Re: "Re-surface" Almite

Post by JD Spydo »

Interesting you bring up that Almite material. Because the first run of my hallowed C-60 Ayoob model was done with "Almite". Now I do like the later G-10 handle better but the Almite wasn't all that bad. Had they knurled the handle or put grooves in it I think it could have been much better than it was.
One handle that I thought was quite similar was an old Benchmade model I had years ago. It was the Boguszewski Spike model 640 and it had an anodized aircraft aluminum handle. It had very similar grip properties that the Almite did.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Don't think that's Almite, Larry. Mainly because the 1993 catalog describes the Terzuola's as having "anodized aluminum" handles, but also because Almite is normally shiny while every Terzuola I've ever seen was dull looking and felt almost chalky. Not sure if you can partially refinish an anodized piece, but I guess the entire handle could probably be taken down to bare aluminum and re-andozied.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Contact Josh over at Razor Edge knives. He could likely clean that blade up, and cerakote the handle, making it look like new.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:58 am
Don't think that's Almite, Larry. Mainly because the 1993 catalog describes the Terzuola's as having "anodized aluminum" handles, but also because Almite is normally shiny while every Terzuola I've ever seen was dull looking and felt almost chalky. Not sure if you can partially refinish an anodized piece, but I guess the entire handle could probably be taken down to bare aluminum and re-andozied.
Yeah I think you're right about that. I've had two of those Terzuola models over the years and both of mine where anodized aluminum handles. Other than the original 2002 era Massad Ayoob C-60 model I'm struggling to remember what other Spyders did have Almite handles?

It does seem like that I remember one of the models out of the ATS-34 era I think also had an Almite handle but I just can't think of which one it might have been.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:22 am
Yeah I think you're right about that. I've had two of those Terzuola models over the years and both of mine where anodized aluminum handles. Other than the original 2002 era Massad Ayoob C-60 model I'm struggling to remember what other Spyders did have Almite handles?

It does seem like that I remember one of the models out of the ATS-34 era I think also had an Almite handle but I just can't think of which one it might have been.

There were a few, Joe. The second generation of the aluminum/Kraton handled Civilian had an Almite coated handle, as did the first two versions of the R, the aluminum Police, a version of the Navigator, the Wegner Mouse, D'Holder Toad, and probably a couple others that escape me at the moment.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Also the Cricket and the C22 Walker.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Larry_Mott, very nice, congrats.
Caused me to dig my Terzuola out, I happen to have a C15.
Thanks
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Thank you for your input guys!
You're most likely right Paul. My CX06 has a different finish.
I doubt it would be worthwhile.. Think i'll let it keep its scars and wrinkles :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Almite is an interesting and elusive beast; so far as I can tell it isn't a specific process, but rather a fancy name for anodizing.

"Alumilite" is a specific, trademarked anodizing process developed by Alcoa, but that's not what you usually see listed. In the rest of the world, "Alumite" seems to have become a popular way to describe anodization in various forms, and Almite seems to be yet another permutation of the term.

Reference: https://www.finishing.com/63/19.shtml

That's not to say you can just strip the coating off and anodize/dye/seal the scales any old way to get the same effect. There's some specific process that Spyderco/the shops in Japan used.

FWIW, my Cricket has a rich, dark matt grey, while my Civilian has a lighter, slightly more reflective grey. Not all Spyderco Almite is the same, just as not all carbon fiber is the same. The process is surely repeatable by someone who knows the tricks used, but when coatings like Cerakote are widely available I think that's probably the way I'd go.