Hope for the Caly 3.5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Hope for the Caly 3.5?

Post by Sumdumguy »

With all the talk about the upcoming lightweight, I figured there should be some discussion about it's fat counterpart.

I'm one of those weirdos who really loves the standard G10/linered version(of almost everything), it's honestly my favorite Spyderco with a choil.

But amidst all the chatter about the new LW, what's going ro happen to the poor old Caly 3.5? Is there any hope of seeing another Sprint or has it's ship sailed?

I would love to see one in k390 or some other swanky new steel. Heck, make one out of Supergold!

What do you guys think?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
archangel

Re: Hope for the Caly 3.5?

Post by archangel »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:02 am
With all the talk about the upcoming lightweight, I figured there should be some discussion about it's fat counterpart.

I'm one of those weirdos who really loves the standard G10/linered version(of almost everything), it's honestly my favorite Spyderco with a choil.

But amidst all the chatter about the new LW, what's going ro happen to the poor old Caly 3.5? Is there any hope of seeing another Sprint or has it's ship sailed?

I would love to see one in k390 or some other swanky new steel. Heck, make one out of Supergold!

What do you guys think?

I'm 100% with you. Bring on the linered G10 spydies! Give us weirdos a Caly 3.5 in an exotic steel, with bright color G10 scales (but that's not a must! Black's ok). :D
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

I'd love to see a CQI linerless Caly 3.5 similar to the CQI on the G10 Native. The liners don't do much but add weight IMO. I would prefer screw construction à la the UKPK but honestly I'll take what I can get in a Caly 3.5. :D

I wonder if the whole platform will be moving from Japan to Taichung for production or if it will be relegated to FRN only now?
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

G10 caly and caly 3.5 are both on my wishlist. Cruwear, more hap40, whatever!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:30 am
I'd love to see a CQI linerless Caly 3.5 similar to the CQI on the G10 Native. The liners don't do much but add weight IMO. I would prefer screw construction à la the UKPK but honestly I'll take what I can get in a Caly 3.5. :D

I wonder if the whole platform will be moving from Japan to Taichung for production or if it will be relegated to FRN only now?
This is a linered discussion, go sit in the truck!

Some of us prefer the added weight and strength of liners. I don't hate linerless but given the choice, I will buy the linered option 99.99999999999% of the time.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:52 am
I would love a Hap40 3.5. That's a nice green, too.

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:10 am
JuPaul wrote:
Agreed!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

The G10 Caly 3.5 has been on my list for a while, so has the CF ZDP-189 version. I remember reading about the lack of washers or bearings in the Moki knives. That's interesting and I want to try one. The overall design looks practical, ergonomic, and has the classic Spyderco design elements I love. As others have said, Hap40 and/or K390 would be fantastic. If Spyderco offered a Caly 3.5 in M390, I would buy one of those too. Superblue would be a 2x buy for sure.

Since the topic was brought up...

I definitely prefer liners. They might not add any usable strength to the knife, but they CAN make the action better and in my experience, there's less blade play(vs linerless frn models, can't speak to G10 linerless) and a more tactile lockup. Some knives, like the Para 3 lw feel unbalanced, whereas the G10 Para 3 does not.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:25 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:10 am
JuPaul wrote:
Agreed!
Ditto! I was actually pretty surprised that the 3.5 didn't make the cut on that Sprint variation. :(
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Albatross wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:35 am
The G10 Caly 3.5 has been on my list for a while, so has the CF ZDP-189 version. I remember reading about the lack of washers or bearings in the Moki knives. That's interesting and I want to try one. The overall design looks practical, ergonomic, and has the classic Spyderco design elements I love. As others have said, Hap40 and/or K390 would be fantastic. If Spyderco offered a Caly 3.5 in M390, I would buy one of those too. Superblue would be a 2x buy for sure.

Since the topic was brought up...

I definitely prefer liners. They might not add any usable strength to the knife, but they CAN make the action better and in my experience, there's less blade play(vs linerless frn models, can't speak to G10 linerless) and a more tactile lockup. Some knives, like the Para 3 lw feel unbalanced, whereas the G10 Para 3 does not.

It is obviously a subjective preference and I'm simply stating mine. :D

I've handled plenty of linerless G10 knives that had flawless action and lockup. Cold Steel Broken Skull, Native 5 G10 and the Durand design Boker Frelon (which has an integral washer milled into the G10).

boker-01BO265-boker-plus-frelon-5.jpg

Again, I'll take the Caly 3.5 in any configuration that Sal and Co. put into production.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

It would be cool if it would be a linerless FRN, but I bet it will have liners like a Chaparral.

I hope that price in EU is going to be lower then 150 €
EDIT: I would like to see wire clip as it was done on Manix LW, no not as deep carry.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
sok

Post by sok »

I am all for a sprint run with different steels, and I wouldn’t care what color the G10 was but physically, leave the handle alone. It is unique and perfect, and the one underrated trait that seldom gets mentioned is maintance on a Caly 3.5.

One pivot screw and this knife is tore down to clean. No washers or spacers. Three parts; blade, handle, and pivot screw. Give it a quick scrubbing with some hot soapy water and a stiff bristled nylon brush, shake it dry....then set it out to dry completely. Fifteen minutes of manpower, at the most, to have them cleaned and ready to go. No oil, no grease, no fuss.

I have never feared getting a Caly 3.5/3 wet in any way. If you get it wet with something gross or caustic, or drop it in the mud, just give it a good rinsing under the faucet and shake it. In a pinch douse it with WD40 and shake dry or blow it out with an air nozzle. I have been known to remove the pivot screw and run a Caly 3.5 through the dishwasher.

In all the years I have carried one of these, I have never seen any signs of seepage between the scales and the stainless liner. Even where the stainless overlaps itself, it is 100% tight. Pinned construction works here. I consider the handle unibody. It is like it was milled from one solid piece for all intents and purposes and I look at this knife as linerless.

If any of the suggestions in this thread change this in any way, it’s a no from me dog. It is not a single item that makes the Caly 3.5 so great it is the sum of all its parts.

I just want new steel to play with. That is one reason why I was looking at the lightweight from the perspective of a blade swap with the standard 3.5. My two cents.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I want ZERO changes aswell. The design is pretty fleshed out.

I agree fully about the simplicity. This knife proves that washers aren't super critical. Same with the Baby Horn, I believe(haven't needed to take it down)

I loved my SB 3.5, until I got an offer I couldn't refuse(triple what I paid). Still kick myself for selling it, haha.

-Thomas Jefferson
archangel

Post by archangel »

sok wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:14 pm
I am all for a sprint run with different steels, and I wouldn’t care what color the G10 was but physically, leave the handle alone. It is unique and perfect, and the one underrated trait that seldom gets mentioned is maintance on a Caly 3.5.

One pivot screw and this knife is tore down to clean. No washers or spacers. Three parts; blade, handle, and pivot screw. Give it a quick scrubbing with some hot soapy water and a stiff bristled nylon brush, shake it dry....then set it out to dry completely. Fifteen minutes of manpower, at the most, to have them cleaned and ready to go. No oil, no grease, no fuss.

I have never feared getting a Caly 3.5/3 wet in any way. If you get it wet with something gross or caustic, or drop it in the mud, just give it a good rinsing under the faucet and shake it. In a pinch douse it with WD40 and shake dry or blow it out with an air nozzle. I have been known to remove the pivot screw and run a Caly 3.5 through the dishwasher.

In all the years I have carried one of these, I have never seen any signs of seepage between the scales and the stainless liner. Even where the stainless overlaps itself, it is 100% tight. Pinned construction works here. I consider the handle unibody. It is like it was milled from one solid piece for all intents and purposes and I look at this knife as linerless.

If any of the suggestions in this thread change this in any way, it’s a no from me dog. It is not a single item that makes the Caly 3.5 so great it is the sum of all its parts.

I just want new steel to play with. That is one reason why I was looking at the lightweight from the perspective of a blade swap with the standard 3.5. My two cents.

Great post, thank you! I wish all the lightweight FRN lovers would read it.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
attila

Post by attila »

I'd be happy with a sprint run Caly 3.5 of any configuration as long as they improve the lock to eliminate the lock rock I've felt on all of my Calys (Jr. included) and several Seki city knives.

It's disappointing to have such a nice knife with such loose tolerances, but I'll still try one out. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

For me, the 3.5 is almost the perfect edc. IMO one of Sal's best designs. Please keep it thin, with scales that are easy on the pocket, and the wire clip. Also prefer a stainless steel. My zdp rusts very quickly around saltwater (same day) Would like to see a lightweight model as I already have other versions. Any color, any stainless. Bring it on. :spyder:
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I would love more of Caly 3's or 3.5's. It is by far my favorite Spyderco model. I'm eager to see how the Caly 3.5 LW will be. If sales are strong, I'd imagine Sal and company would be willing to experiment with more sprint runs.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I'm just glad the CF and zdp combo is still around
vivi

Post by vivi »

sok wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:14 pm

I rusted various Caly 3's on the liners and lock parts.

I love the line but will only be buying screw based versions from here on out.

In fact I'd love a Calypso lightweight built with Endura 4 style construction. But I'll still check out the 3.5 LW when it comes out.
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

I think the Caly 3.5 was one of my better designs and doesn't need a lot of design improvement, in my opinion. Much of limitations are the result of the maker so exotic steels not made in Japan, screw construction and higher numbers are what prompted us to move the FRN to Taichung. This would permit any steel, any color and disassembly, but our makers are near capacity in all areas so we have schedules to create and keep. I don't see the Caly 3.5 FRN coming our before next year. we've yet to receive a prototype. We'll continue to make the current models in Seki. Thanx for your continued interest in this model.

sal